St. Luke 12:22-40

Dearly beloved,

The church subdues its enemies not by force but by gentleness.  The things
that we once found ourselves clinging to, we now let go.  Those worldly
things that were once so important have been replaced by something even more
precious than gold, and our Lord Jesus was in the midst of a large crowd to
tell them about it.  People were jostling about, almost to the point of a
stampede.  Jesus is always doing the Jesus thing--teaching disciples, and a
large wild mob doesn’t change it.

 “Do not be anxious about your life....” Do not worry about tomorrow...oh
how we need to hear these words today.....in a world that is filled with
stock portfolios, insurance needs, business plans and propositions, and
retirement plans that prepare us for the future.  Jesus speaks these words
in an age where there was nothing like we have today.  Things were often
unsettled in those days.  There was no such thing as retirement plans or
stock portfolios....what did they have to be anxious about.  They lived for
the day....

If ever the words of Jesus need to be spoken, it is today.  We worry about
so much.  Will my business survive? Will my profit margin decrease to a
dangerous level? How will I feed my family? Will my health insurance cover
an unexpected illness? Who will care for me? What will tomorrow bring? And
it doesn’t matter if you are young or old.  Worry and anxiety is something
that does not discriminate.  Worry and anxiety simply manifest themselves in
different ways.

A young person will worry about finding a spouse, or worry about money, or a
job, whereas an older person shifts his or her worries to health and care
needs.  But the one constant is worrying.  But thinking about the young
apostolic church that was to spring forth from Christ’s death and
resurrection, we see some real impending needs that would cause them worry.
These are the things that Jesus is trying to impress upon the young
disciples.  Jesus, knowing all things, is thinking about what will come to
pass after Pentecost.  Jesus is thinking about all those things that are
recorded for us in the book of Acts.

Peter and Paul are arrested for preaching Jesus Christ crucified.  Stephen
is martyred for preaching the gospel.  The Jerusalem church finds itself in
the midst of a terrible famine, where just the basic needs of life were
scarce.  The disciples will suffer loss of life, they will be led where they
do not want to go, and they will endure hardship for the sake of the gospel.

The great irony in all of these accounts is striking.  The young church
would struggle in doing the right thing.  The apostles would preach the
gospel, they would teach of the coming kingdom in Jesus Christ, and they
would help feed and clothe the poor.  While the young apostolic church would
struggle in doing the right thing, the world will deal them hardship.  The
young, apostolic church could well easily respond--”what’s not to worry
about.  There is much to worry about.”  But they didn’t respond in this way
because the church understood that she is patterned by the life of Jesus.

 The world persecuted Jesus, therefore it would naturally follow that the
world would persecute the church.  This is usually where the conversation
ends, but there is more.  Rarely is it discussed what the church gains.  The
church gives something up but receives many more blessings in return.  The
church no longer relies on the things of the world for happiness.  Jesus is
the sole source of peace and consolation.  As the church puts off the things
of the world, she receives something greater.  Jesus says, “Fear not, little
flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
This, in and of itself, is a statement of great magnitude.

We put off the world and its possessions in the sacrament of holy baptism,
and we look to the inheritance which is the kingdom.  Jesus doesn’t stop
there.  Jesus continues, “Sell your possessions and give to the needy.
Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in
the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth
destroys.  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” This
is not works righteousness, but an understanding that with Christ’s
salvation comes a shift in how one views this sinful world with its many
possessions.

The young, apostolic church follows this rubric in Acts.  They forsake all
and follow Jesus.  They leave possessions behind and live in the richness of
Christ.  The young church lived for the inheritance of the kingdom.  Jesus
comes from heaven and takes on flesh in order to go to the cross.  Jesus is
beaten, crucified, bearing the sins of the world, and what does He
produce--an inheritance for all who would come to believe in Him--a gift
meant for others--for you.

This gospel is important for the church today.  Jesus reminds us to put off
the things concerning this world.  We are to live for the world to come--our
inheritance in heaven.  We live for others and not for ourselves.  We live
to serve Jesus, but at the end of the day, we are often those very people
who worry about tomorrow.  We are anxious about those things we cannot
foresee, and those things we do not know.

My dear Christians, it is the will of Jesus to care for you, just as he
cares for the birds of the air.  In fact, Jesus means to care for you even
more.  You are living with one foot in heaven.  You are Christ’s baptized
children who have been washed with the living waters, which transfer you
from this world of sin into the marvelous kingdom of God.  Your sin of
worrying and feeling anxious is forgiven you.  Jesus knows your needs, and
He knows your concerns.  Jesus also knows what you need for the journey
ahead.  So, as you live and breathe out your days in this world, remember
that you are on a journey.  Jesus has given you what you need, and it is the
Father’s pleasure to give you the kingdom.

What you give up in this world is exchanged by the many and wondrous gifts
of Christ.  Jesus showers you with His undying love.  Jesus prepares you
through holy absolution, His holy word, and the precious sacrament.  Jesus
walks with you in the liturgy; Jesus will prepare your hearts, set you with
what you need for the journey ahead, and fill you up with His love, as He
nurtures and protects you all the way as you walk ever closer to the
inheritance won on the cross at Calvary.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church