/And the man knew Eve, his wife, and she conceived, and she birthed Cain, and she said, "I've gotten a man--Yahweh!" Again she gave birth to his brother, Abel; and Abel was a shepherd of flocks, and Cain was a worker of the ground. And it was from the end of days and Cain brought from the fruit of the ground an offering to Yahweh. And Abel brought, also he, from the first-born of his flock, and of their fattened parts. And Yahweh looked favorably upon Abel and upon His offering. Yet upon Cain and upon his offering, He did not look favorably. And much anger came to Cain, and his face fell. And Yahweh said to Cain, "Why is anger in you, and why is your face fallen? If you do well, you are uplifted, yet if you do not do well, at the door sin crouches, and on you is it's desire, yet you gain dominion over it." And Cain spoke to his Abel, his brother. And it was when they were in the field, and Cain arose on Abel his brother, and murdered him. And Yahweh said to Cain, "Where is Abel, your brother?" And he said, "I don't know. The keeper of my brother, am I?" And He said, "What have you done? The voice of the blood of your brother calls out to me from the ground!. And now, cursed are you from the ground which opens its mouth to receive the blood of your brother from your hand. /

How do you approach God? How does little ol' you come before the King of the entire Universe? What can you do to cause the LORD to look favorably upon your feeble efforts? Questions like these come naturally to mind as we see the comparison stories in today's lections. The offerings of Cain & Abel to God are contrasted in today's Lesson. As are the temple prayers of two men in the parable Jesus tells in today's Gospel. In each case, God speaks favorably of one, not so of the other.

Now, our first instinct is to say, "Just tell me what to *do*" so that I can do the God-pleasing thing. Well, it's not so simple as all that. If you expected to hear a great "how-to" sermon which lays out 10 simple steps to being an God-pleasing Christian, you've come to the wrong place. Because "how-to" messages are the way of the Law. And the Law curses as it did for Cain when he murdered his brother. God's law tells you what to do or not do, but it has no power whatsoever to help you do it.

We should understand that our *doing* is not part of the solution, but part of the problem! That was Eve's problem in the Garden. She wanted to "do" what seemed like a good thing, even though God said "Don't". But she did it anyway, ate the forbidden fruit because if her desire, shared it with her husband, and they were both kicked out of paradise. Since then, sin was just crouching at the door to cause more sin, and it found Cain. Once again, by "doing" the wrong thing and murdering his brother.

Now you may think that the solution to the problem is just to do the right thing...but you can't. Don't believe me? Well, you may not have committed physical murder like Cain did, but you've been angry at someone, called them names, and maybe even wished they were dead! You've murdered in your heart! And like Cain, when you are confronted with questions about your sinful attitudes, you put a spin on your actions, fudging the truth in your favor. You lie and break the 8th commandment too!

It is plain as day that you fail to do only the right things. You sin much every single day. You commit sins with your thoughts, with your feelings, with your words, and with your actions. You sin against God by considering your name, your time, & yourself as more important than Him. You sin against your neighbor by loving yourself at his or her expense. The problem is in your sinful heart, which desires sinful things regularly. Your heart-attitude is stubborn, or selfish, or just plain nasty at times.

That's the same heart-attitude problem Cain had in his jealousy against his brother. It's the same heart-attitude problem the pharisee had in his self-centered, judgmental prayer. So, you see, the solution cannot come from people like us who have such sin-sick hearts. Yet there must be hope. Abel was able to do the right thing and give a God-pleasing offering. The tax-collector in the Temple was able to pray a God-pleasing prayer. How could these men find a way to approach God rightly?

The answer is: Faith! For it was by a God-given faith that Abel offered a better sacrifice than his brother. Abel's faith in Jesus testified that he was righteous man in God's sight! God had made him righteous in Christ Jesus Who would die for him. He trusted in that Seed-of-Eve, the man-Yahweh who would one day come to save him. The publican in the temple trusted in Jesus too for the forgiveness of his sins. You too are believers who approach the real presence of Christ Jesus, receiving the blessings of His body given & blood shed for you at the + for your life and salvation. Amen.

John C. Drosendahl, Pastor
john.drosend...@gmail.com