St. Luke 16:1-15

Dearly beloved,

Christianity is servanthood.  Christianity goes by way of the crucifix.
There is God hanging on the cross for the sins of the world.  This goes hand
in hand with what Jesus says in St. Matthew’s gospel, specifically when He
says, “Whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as
the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give
his life a ransom for many”(St. Matthew 20:27-28).

 This doctrinal aspect of the pattern of the Christian life gives us
definition for the words of the gospel appointed for today.  There is the
issue of the unjust steward who takes the wealth of his master and makes
friends by the abuse of it.  Their is also the issue of the unjust mammon,
which are the things of this world that people turn into the things they
worship.

 The issue is how we use what we have been given, and how we live out our
existence as a baptized community.  The life in Christ is not easily lived.
For one thing, we have the sinful flesh that rides against all that is
considered godliness.  We may make a good attempt at being holy when all is
well with our lives, but suffering and hardship bring with them great
barriers to Christian living.  Christian service is meant to have an outward
focus.  We are to look to the needs of others.  We look to find a way to
help out those around us.

 Our own hardship and suffering often causes us to look inward at
ourselves.  We look at our own problems and losses.  The temptation is to
become very selfish and self-centered.  Pride roars as we try to regain what
suffering and hardship has caused us to lose, and despair sets in when we
fail.  The great irony in all of this is that God allows suffering in our
lives in order that we may cry out to him and grow in godly wisdom.
Therefore, what we must do is seek to find a way to order our steps so that
we do not live by the flesh but by the Spirit.

How this is done is easy enough.  It is likened to how an army prepares for
war.  If an army is lazy and unorganized during peace time, they will never
be prepared for war.  If the army only decides to become prepared after a
war has broken out, then it will find utter defeat for itself on the
battlefield.  Christian faith is similar.  We are to listen to, ponder and
meditate upon the holy scriptures because Jesus comes to us to forgive sins
and strengthen faith.  We grow in God’s word.

The Spirit through the word and sacrament increases faith and devotion which
leads us into service.  God’s word does several things for people.  It
enlightens hearts, brings the proclamation of forgiveness, and it shows us a
new way to live in this world of sin.  In other words, along with
forgiveness and strengthening of faith, the word of God teaches us
servanthood.  We learn the ways of Christ.  You are to be led away from the
cares of this world and instead led towards the way of Christ.  So Jesus
says, “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and
love the other or else he will hold to the one and despise the other.  You
cannot serve God and mammon”(St. Luke 16:13).

If we are concerned about material things in this world, then we have a
double-mind and a double spirit.  If hardship and suffering do cause us to
look inward, then we cannot be faithful servants of Christ.  The reason for
this is that we are putting something first before Christ.  This is why
Jesus says “you cannot serve God and mammon.”  So long as the material
things of the world cause us to stumble, we cannot be good servants of
Christ.  We must give of ourselves.  We must rid ourselves of our earthly
concerns and look to Christ for everything.  Our life in Christ, each and
every one of us, is meant to be lived in showing mercy, helping others, and
promoting the ministry of the gospel.

Today’s circumstances give us much to be concerned about.  There is much
that can cause us to be consumed with everyday problems.  There is much that
can cause us to sin and despair all at the same time.  But we have a
gracious Lord who knows what we suffer.  We have a Lord who was tested at
all points as we are, yet He was without sin.   We have a Savior who has
paid for our sins with His blood.  We also have a gracious Lord who has
causes the Holy Scriptures to be written for our learning.

In these scriptures are the revelation of God’s love, along with examples of
that love.  For example, St. Paul speaks of the Macedonian churches in 2
Corinthians 8.  St. Paul talks about their affliction.  They, too, were
suffering loss and hardship.  The Macedonian churches could have easily
collapsed and unraveled.  But, St. Paul reminds the Corinthians that “in a
great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty
abounded to the riches of their liberality”(2 Cor. 8:2).

St. Paul continues, “For they gave according to their means, as I can
testify, and beyond their means, of their own free will, begging us
earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints.”  Paul’s
boast is not, ironically, about giving as much money as one can.  One must
know the history of these different biblical areas in order to get to the
heart of Paul’s method.  We know from Paul’s own words that the Macedonian
churches were extremely poor.

The church in Corinth, to whom he was writing, was in a very different
context.  Corinth was a bustling business center and port city, where much
wealth existed.  The church in Corinth, therefore, had a mixture of slaves
and wealthy.  So, as St. Paul commends the Macedonian churches to the
Corinthian church, he is trying to drive home, not the giving of money, so
much as where one should focus the heart.  Is the heart on unrighteous
mammon? Or is one’s heart focused on Jesus.

Where your heart is, there your treasure will be also.  St. Paul tells the
Corinthians what it was that gave the Macedonian churches such great
character--He says, “And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave
themselves to the Lord, then unto us by the will of God.”  They focused on
Christ.

So where is the gospel in all of this for a people who face their sins?
Where is the gospel for you?  Christian faith and life is such that we are
powerless on our own.  Our only hope is Jesus.  Servanthood is first seen
from the crucifix.  We look upon it and are reminded that Jesus died for our
sins, dying as the greatest servant of all.  He gave of Himself, giving up
His glory and taking are form and likeness.

This cross act then moves to the next point of reference which is the
altar.  On the altar is Christ’s body and in the cup His blood for
Christians, reminding us of God’s love for us.  We are strengthened by what
we are given to eat and drink as we take Christ into us.  We are then led
out to the world as Christ’s light to a dark world.  True servanthood comes
from the altar.  And so are lives are found at the Lord’s altar, not giving
but receiving.  We receive what Christ offers which is salvation.

No matter what the world around us is like, we are all in this together.  We
are not alone as so many of the world are.  We rest in Christ’s arms, and we
rest together as Christ’s children.  You have all the blessings of Christ.
You are His redeemed children and Jesus promises you the best gift of
all--fellowship in heaven for eternity.  You shall rest in the goodness of
the Lord and bask in the glory of Christ in heaven as you behold Him on His
glorious throne with angels and archangels surrounding, with the high chant
of song amidst the heavenly liturgy which sings unending praises to the King
of Kings who watches out for you each moment of your life and cares for you
even now as He enters you day and your world in the sacrament.

You are His forgiven and beloved children, whom Christ loves dearly.  Have
no fear.  The Lord is with you.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church