St. Luke 17:11-19

Dearly beloved,

 “If we have died with Jesus, we shall also live with him; if we endure, we
shall also reign with him....”(2 Timothy 2:11-12).  Jesus is the one to
come....the one whom all the Old Testament prophesied.  It is his coming
that the prophets were waiting for.  People in St. Luke’s gospel were
waiting: people like Simeon and Anna.  The virgin Mary waited and marveled
at the words of the angel Gabriel.  “Could the time have finally arrived?”,
they thought.

 The Pharisees and the Scribes, however, would wait for signs.  Even when
signs were given, they were still unbelieving, an eternal judgment waiting
in the balance for them, as a result.  Why did the people wait and seek this
Messiah? Why were they looking for the coming of the Christ? Because of such
prophecies as Isaiah recorded: “You will say in that day, ‘I will give
thanks to thee, O Lord, for though thou wast angry with me, thy anger turned
away, and thou didst comfort me”(Isaiah 12:1).

 The ten lepers in St. Luke’s gospel are just one example of recipients of
Christ’s incarnation and presence.  These ten men were outcasts because of
the dreadful disease.  They were made to go live outside the city and they
had to stay away from people.  They were basically left to their fate.
Either they would heal, or the leprosy would overtake them and they would
die.  No one to care for them, they were to simply wait.

Jesus journeys and they encounter him.  They cry out for help.  Jesus simply
says, “Go show yourselves to the priest.”  This simple response doesn’t
sound much like a healing, but they went.  As they journeyed to the priest,
they were healed.  The priest examined them, gave them the green light to
reenter civilized life and one would think that this is how the story would
end. Nine of them were pleased and carried on with their lives.

Two things take place in this account.  The first thing that is happening is
Jesus, in time, in history, heals ten men.  Many things have a deeper
meaning.  These men were lost in sin.  Leprosy in the Bible was symbolic for
sin.  Left to the world, they were unloved and they were left to either live
or die, and no one much cared what their fate might be.  Along comes the
eternal Lord in the flesh and at a command, he heals them of their sin.
This is, after all, why Jesus has come--to forgive sins.  This is, by
Christ’s own words in a different account--that of the healing of the
paralytic--the point of His coming.

The sad reality to all of this, however, is that nine of the healed lepers
their knees at the feet of Jesus to adore him.  This is the stark reality of
missions.  Jesus Himself found a ten percent conversion rate.  Even among
modern day mission paradigms, Jesus would not have been considered a
success.  Why? Because the world has a hold on people.  It is too easy to be
consumed and preoccupied by the things of the world.  Things we can see,
touch, enjoy....these things tend to grab our attention.

St. Paul’s words to Timothy hold great sway for the church, as a result.
“If we have died with Jesus, we shall also live with him; if we endure, we
shall also reign with him....”  But then St. Paul continues by saying, “if
we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains
faithful--for he cannot deny himself”(2 Timothy 2:13).  What Paul writes
applies to the ten lepers and to all men.

It is no doubt the case that at the door to the heavenly banquet, those nine
lepers will ask Jesus if he doesn’t remember them, as those men who cried
out to him.  But where were they.....where did they go? What grabbed their
hearts and minds and voices more.....the eternal God who came to save us
from the eternal pit, or the world with its delicacies.  Jesus will respond
to those nine.....”I never knew you.”  There are two sides to this gospel.
One side places before us the reminder that the everyday things of the world
can get a firm hold on us.  We can unknowingly worship the wrong things and
we can be swept away by them.

The other side of the gospel is our Lord’s promise to the faithful.  St.
Paul tells Timothy, “Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descended
from David, as preached in my gospel.....”(2 Timothy 2:8).  It is this one
leper, a Samaritan no less, who comes to “remember Jesus Christ.”
Remembrance is not a cerebral pondering or casual recollection.  To remember
Jesus Christ means to do what the one leper does and to do it for the rest
of your life.  “Faith” is worship and devotion.

The posture of the church is to gather around Jesus, to fall down on your
knees and gaze at the mysterious blessing that is found in the presence of
our Lord.  Jesus is in your midst as the one who saves.  We are sinners,
walking around waiting for help, and Lo and behold! Here comes Jesus
speaking the word that heals us of our spiritual leprosy.  Jesus speaks a
word into your ears that says you are healed of your disease of sin.

Your response? To fall on your knees with reverence and thanksgiving and
look upon Him in the cup and in the bread and behold his body and blood.
The altar of the Lord is where you live.  The Samaritan leper lives at the
altar.  His return to Jesus is, in effect, to say, “You are my God and my
Lord and I shall be your servant forevermore.”

This is your gift.  Jesus descends from heaven and enters the bread and the
cup and says not “go show yourself to the priest” but “go show yourself to
the heavenly Father.”  It is the heavenly Father who looks at you and sees
the white robe of Christ’s righteousness upon you.  Sins forgiven you exist
as Christ’s child wrapped up in His love, His forgiveness, and His life.
Your sins are forgiven, and Jesus proclaims to you, “Rise and go your way;
your faith has made you well.”

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church