St. John 8:31-36

Dearly beloved,

 “Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after
the same example of unbelief.  For the word of God is quick, and powerful,
and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul
and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts
and intents of the heart”(Hebrews 4:11-12).

 Today is the Festival of the Reformation.  Much has been said on this
topic.  Countless books have been written in an effort to understand the
reasons for it and the implications derived from it.  Today, the sermon
focuses on why Martin Luther looked so strongly to the word of God.  There
were a few issues that were very important for him.  To cut through much of
the discussion and to get at the heart of the matter, it can simply be said
that Martin Luther wanted the gospel restored in the church.

 Many men rode on Luther’s coat tails because they had their own agendas.
Luther’s intent was only to preserve the church, not start a new one.
Luther wanted to keep the ancient liturgies, the ancient practices and
ceremonies, and he wanted the Holy Scriptures to be the sole rule and norm
of Christian teaching.  It makes sense.  Jesus says in the gospel for today,
“If you continue in my word, then you are my disciples, indeed.”

 Jesus is the word made flesh, as He attests.  The Holy Scriptures are also
the Word of God, which is to suggest that when we digest the Holy
Scriptures, we are taking Jesus into us through those Holy Scriptures.  You
may often wonder why your pastor preaches on the Scripture each Sunday.  You
may wonder why the pastor teaches a Bible class and, by doing so, digs into
the scriptures in order to pull out the truths.  The Holy Scriptures are
God’s divine utterance to the world.

God reveals Himself in the Holy Scriptures.  The only way that you can know
anything about God is from the Bible.

 If your entire existence was out in the middle of a field and you had no
Bible and no one to preach to you about the Holy Trinity, you would be left
to seek God on your own.  You would end up fashioning a god after your own
thoughts and you would be far from the truth.  This is why we need pastors,
preachers, missionaries and the like.  We need the Holy Scriptures because
they teach us who God is and how God works in our lives and our world.

As a result, nothing else compares to the Holy Scriptures.  Martin Luther
looked at the Christian faith in this way.  Luther’s thought was that if the
Holy Scriptures really are God’s voice to the world, revealing to us His
love and His way, then it should follow that these same Scriptures are the
words that we must ponder and prayerfully consider above all other things.

If the church is looking to the Scriptures, then the doctrine will be
clear.  The Gospel will be a beacon of light to a dark world.  St. Paul
communicated this to Timothy: “Preach the word.  Be ready in season and out
of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine”(2
Timothy 4:2).  It is for these reasons that preaching here at Trinity is a
very biblical endeavor.

The preaching and teaching of the Holy Scriptures is meant to be food for
the church.  The Scriptures are that spiritual sustenance that is needed for
the saints to carry on.  You know this.  St. Paul also reminds Timothy of
this.  Paul writes to Timothy: “All scripture is given by inspiration of
God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for
instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be complete,
thoroughly furnished for all good works”(2 Timothy 3:16-17).  The church,
therefore, is to study the scriptures because in them we look into the
eternal things of God.  We gaze, as it were, into the heavenly mysteries of
God.  The Scriptures are this very Divine revelation and speaking.  God’s
voice rings in our ears every time we listen to the word of God and study
it.

Nothing else in this world can boast of this....not even the words of Kings
and Presidents.  But when the Scriptures are proclaimed and when you
carefully ponder them, you hear the voice of God speaking.  Peter attests to
this: “It was revealed to them [the prophets] that they were serving not
themselves but you, in the things which have now been announced to you by
those who preached the gospel to you through the Holy Spirit sent from
heaven, things into which angels long to look”(1 Peter 1:12).

Peter speaks of the words of the prophets, as well as the words and
preaching of the apostles.  They were the vessels used to communicate Divine
and eternal truth for all to hear.  All of this which I speak in your
hearing today is incredibly important for the culture in which we find
ourselves.  We live in a world that is as diverse as it ever has been.  The
culture does not view truth in the same way.  The world sees truth as shades
of grey.  Truth is seen as relative, based upon the experiences of the
person.

 Today, the church must hold more strongly to the Scriptures as being God’s
word, not man’s word.  We must recover what it means that eternal truth is
proclaimed in our midst through the Scriptures.  God speaks, we listen.  It
is only then, that we can begin to discuss what is sin and what is
forgiveness.

So, we carry on....celebrating the Reformation.  We cling to Christ, for He
died for you.  We look to the Scriptures for they speak of Jesus Christ.
Old Testament and New, the church is bathed in the goodness of Christ.  When
we ponder Jacob and Esau, we are being led to the waters of Jesus.  When we
study Samson and Delilah, we see in Samson a shadow of the coming Christ.

When we ponder the words of Isaiah, we hear the gospel and learn of our
Lord’s steadfast love.  When we hear Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, we learn
of all that Jesus began both to do and the teach concerning salvation.  In
Peter and Paul, we hear the elaboration of that love of Jesus for all.

We thank God for men like Martin Luther, for reminding us of the Divine
author of the Bible, and for leading us back to Jesus.  “How beautiful are
the feet of those who preach the gospel”(Romans 10:15).  But most of all,
let us praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost for leading Martin Luther to the
gospel.  Let us thank and praise the HolyTrinity for continuing to
communicate to us the way of everlasting life and the mysteries eternal
which have been revealed and into which we are blessed to gaze, now and for
all eternity.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church