St. Matthew 5:1-12

Dearly beloved,

 “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should
be called children of God...”(1 John 3:1).  St. John promises that when
Christ is revealed we shall be like Him.  Oh how the saints in Christ long
to be like their Lord, and the observance of All Saints’ Day is one which
gives us pause to think of what it means to be a Christian on this earth, as
well as one who rests with Christ in heaven.

When we look around us we see a world in turmoil.  There are many things
that bring turmoil and many things that demonstrate the effects of turmoil.
One of the most readily available evidences of worldly strife is the
political climate.  Where one stands on issues is largely determined by
other factors that weigh in on one’s life.  There are economic factors, to
be sure.  There are social factors.  Moral issues seem to cross closer to
the issue of wrong and right.  What is acceptable? What isn’t?

Who do we want to run our government? How do we define freedom? These are
important issues and people become very involved in these issues.  The
Christian who gives serious contemplation to Christ and the Scriptures will
no doubt have something to say, if nothing else, on the moral issues of the
day.  In the arena of discussion today, there is much to be said and much of
the culture wrinkles the brow at the Christian’s answer to things.

But, the world does not discriminate when it comes to hardship and
struggles.  Cancer picks and chooses without discrimination.  Economic woes
hit believer and unbeliever alike.  Family issues come up, whether you are
rich or poor, Christian or unbeliever.  Death eventually has its way with
everyone.  So, as the world spins and human beings wake up and tackle the
next day, we are left to ponder something beyond the news, the economy, the
doctor visits, and the family dynamics.

We come to a highway.  The prophet Isaiah speaks of it and then Jesus
describes it in St. Matthew 5.  Isaiah says, “And a highway shall be there,
and it shall be called the holy way; the unclean shall not pass over it, and
fools shall not err therein”(Isaiah 35:8).  This is a road paved by Jesus.
All those who journey with Jesus begin to see a different way....a way not
like this world I just described. Isaiah even goes on to tell us that the
inhabitants on this road shall have everlasting joy on their heads.  The
travelers on this royal highway of Christ shall obtain joy and gladness.
Sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

This goodness that Isaiah describes is yet to come for the holy ones of
Christ.  Yet, while contending in the world, the Christian still desires
these wonderful attributes of the royal highway.  So what gives? Jesus talks
about the Christian on this royal highway in St. Matthew 5, popularly known
as “The Beatitudes.”  The Christian walks on the road of Christ and observes
all that goes on in this world.  The Christian takes note that hate is still
present.

The Christian sees that difficulty continues to present itself to cause
distress.  Family problems still show themselves.  Health problems manifest
themselves, making it difficult to experience joy and gladness.  We often
find ourselves waiting for the sorrow and the sighing to flee away.  So,
what gives? The Beatitudes tell us that blessed are the poor in spirit.
Blessed are those who mourn, who are meek, who hunger and thirst for
righteousness, are merciful, are pure in heart, those who are peacemakers,
and those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake.

Have you ever realized that in the Beatitudes lies the bridge between heaven
and earth? The Christian realizes that there is something wonderful that he
is to receive from God.  This is what Jesus is preaching in the Beatitudes.
It is a gift from Jesus, which is precisely the promise of holiness and
forgiveness for our sins.  It is declared to us and promised.  Heaven is the
consummation of all things good and holy.  The poor in spirit are those who
realize this and wait for the entrance into heaven.

St. Paul understands this because in Romans 7 he makes the declaration that
“the good that I will to do I do not do, but the evil I will not to
do...that I keep on doing.”  This is very “Beatitudinal.”  St. Paul in
Romans 7 is giving us the example of a Christian who is poor in spirit.  He
sees heaven when the Lord’s Supper is given.  He hears heaven when the
gospel is proclaimed.  He tastes the goodness of the Lord as he eats and
drinks Christ’s body and blood in the sacrament.

And so do you.  Jesus gives you a foretaste of the goodness that is to
come.  The joy and gladness on the royal highway is given to us as a sample
and a taste in the Divine Service.  The full consummation of all the joy and
gladness of Christ will be seen and experienced in heaven.  Heaven is our
destination.  We cannot be too content while on the road in the wilderness
as we journey here.  It wouldn’t be right.  If we were more at home here on
this earth, then it would detract from the eternal blessings of Christ in
heaven.  This is why we turn our gaze to the faithfulness of Christ toward
the saints who have departed this life, as we rejoice for their sakes....and
ours.

This causes the church to find a joy and gladness, even while on the earth.
The church never goes around moping and feeling sorry for herself.  Rather,
the church goes forward with a confident peace, knowing what is coming.  The
church serves, cares and loves precisely because of the goodness yet to
come.  For the royal highway begins here.  The royal highway is at the cross
of Christ on Golgotha.  It is found at the empty tomb.  This royal highway
is at every baptismal font, altar and pulpit where the gospel is proclaimed
and given.

This gives the church much reason to rejoice even now, for Jesus is in her
midst as He faithfully serves her with the precious gift of forgiveness.
So, whether in heaven or on earth we find ourselves as Christ’s bride, where
we stand together as Christ’s children proclaiming, “I believe that I shall
the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living!”(Psalm 27:13).  The
Gospel given, the goodness of the Lord is in your midst even now, you His
precious saints.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church