St. Matthew 1:18-25

Dearly beloved,

 One can only imagine what it must have been like to be Joseph.  What is
more, one can hardly fathom what must have been going through the mind of
the virgin Mary as she was told all these things about being the mother of
God.  Pondering all these things in her heart, we can do no better.  We
ponder these miraculous realities in our hearts.

 We behold a mystery....incarnate by the Holy Ghost, born of the virgin
Mary.....these things are deep, indeed.  Joseph, a carpenter, desired to
live a good life, a holy life.  Joseph no doubt wanted to do his work well,
make enough to live decently, and he planned to take this young woman, Mary,
to be his wife.  Centuries of people had waited for the Messiah, the
anointed One, to come.  With so many years of expectation, who would ever
expect it to happen all of a sudden like it did.

 Joseph and Mary, both, were of the line of David.  They knew about the
Messiah.  They knew the Old Testament scriptures, and they knew that someday
the Messiah would come.  But in their time? But in their midst? Hardly
fathomable that such a thing would actually come to pass.  We can sympathize
with Joseph.  He sees that Mary is pregnant and he thinks what anyone would
think.  She was unfaithful.  She is no longer a virgin.  She committed the
horrible sin of adultery.

This is how we think in the world.  We see things and we draw conclusions,
and are we any different? How easy is it for us to think of heavenly things?
When we are told that God loves us do we believe it? When the Divine voice
tells us to live holy lives, do we take as if it were really coming from the
Lord’s mouth? Or do we take it as coming from the mouths of men?

Do we leave the church and live lives that bear the fruits of repentance and
faith? Or do we live like the world? We all know that we are going to leave
church, and we will say and do things that go contrary to Holy
Scripture--Divine speaking.  We all know that we would rightly hang our
heads in shame if our sins were exposed for everyone to see.  But on this
night we smile.  On this night, amidst candlelight, we find a different
atmosphere.  There is joy in the air.  We can almost feel it.

There may be many reasons for this joy in the world, but in the church we
know from what this joy springs.  It is not unlike the joy that David
exhibits when the ark of the covenant is brought in his midst.  The ark of
the covenant was like a covering and a location for God’s presence to dwell
among His people.  When the ark was brought into the house of Obed Edom all
of Obed Edom’s family was blessed.  God’s dwelling among His people even in
the ark brought abundant blessings and good fruit.

 David’s joy was scorned upon by the world, but David understood the
implications of God’s presence in their midst.  God, therefore tabernacled
in another ark, which was the flesh.  God was born through a virgin.  There
in space and time, in the body of a baby was the eternal, magnificent,
radiant God.  This miraculous birth from a virgin brings joy to us, but
why?

 Perhaps it is because of all that follows in the records of the
evangelists: Jesus is tempted and conquers the tempter and is served by
angels.  Jesus heals every sickness and infirmity, and gives life to the
dead, such as Lazarus.  Jesus drives out demons, and, with a few loaves of
bread and some fish, feeds thousands.  Jesus walks on the sea and commands
the wind and the waves to obey Him.  While being the omnipotent God, Jesus
is betrayed, arrested, crucified, and buried as humans are buried, but rises
from the dead, demonstrating His Godhead.

 Jesus ascends into heaven, seated at the right hand of the heavenly Father
in glory.  What amazing things we have told to us by the Divine voice that
proclaims for us unsearchable mysteries, and they have one intention for us
all--our perfection, our completion in Christ.  The life of Christ, from
incarnation, to birth, to death, to resurrection are concerned with
restoring us into the condition of Adam before the fall.  This is about your
holiness and salvation.  This is about the Father’s business of having
fellowship with His creation.

 So, the name Immanuel carries with it deep meaning for our lives.  God is
with us.  It doesn’t mean that God “was” with us.  He is with us.  Jesus
lives and dwells among you in the mouth of the pastor as He preaches the
gospel.  Jesus is in your midst and among you as you are washed through the
waters of holy baptism, and Jesus is in your midst in the cup that we
drink....is it not a participation in the blood of Christ.  The pastor holds
up the cup for all to see because you see in the cup “God with us,” our holy
Immanuel.

And so you drink Christ because your redemption draws near.  The holy things
that seem so far away from you and so difficult to grasp are placed in your
midst.  Just as God humbles Himself to be made man, in like reversal men are
made to be like God in His image once again as they rest in the forgiveness
and mercy of Christ by the gospel.

So on this night let us light our candles.  In the holiness of Christ’s
forgiveness for your sins, you rest in His love.  He heals you of your
illness of sin.  He declares you as holy as we await the redemption promised
and fulfilled in Jesus.  Our candles flicker reminding us that in darkness a
light doth shine.  Jesus comes and resides with you....in a child, in a
Savior, in a gospel preached, in a baptism that washes, and in a cup that we
drink.  Jesus is your Immanuel--for God is with you even now.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church