St. Matthew 5:21-37

Dearly beloved,

 The gospel this morning is comprehensive and far-reaching.  It is not done
justice by one’s having to preach on all of it at once.  The words of Jesus
are rich and deep, and they are meant to be for the church as she lives out
her life on this earth.  This portion of Christ’s sermon on the mount is
very reminiscent of the themes in the Ten Commandments.  It doesn’t follow
the pattern of the Ten Commandments, however.  Jesus treats of differing
themes.  The themes of this gospel appear to be for Christians in their
dealings with one another.

Running through the gospel is the emphasis of the condition of one’s heart.
It is not enough, Jesus says, to refrain from killing someone with your
hands or committing adultery with the body.  The sin is committed if the
heart ponders it.  If we ever thought we had a chance at holiness on our
own, this would shatter all hopes on self-righteousness.  Jesus tells us
that even our use of words improperly will lead us to stumble.

If we say to someone, “Raca,” we shall be in danger of the council.  If we
say to someone “you fool,” then we shall be in danger of judgment.  Jesus
says that this is the case if a brother is angry without cause.  With cause,
he or she is not in danger of the council nor judgment.  There are fools in
the world, and they are those who hate God or speak wrongly of Him.  “Raca”
is Hebrew, meaning “empty.”  These same despisers of God are in fact empty
while they live.

So if we call someone “empty,” or, “you fool” without a cause, then we find
ourselves in trouble.  Jesus is talking about brothers and sisters in the
faith.  You cannot call a Christian “empty” for he is a vessel of the Holy
Spirit.  One who confesses Christ is no fool in God’s eyes.  What the Lord
is hinting towards is how the people in the body of Christ deal with each
other.  Jesus says that if you bring your gift to the altar and remember
that you and a brother have a quarrel, then leave your gift at the Lord’s
altar and go reconcile with your brother or sister in the faith.  Then,
after this has been handled, go back and give your gift to God.

The Lord shows us how we are to live in this faith. By being so concerned
about reconciling with other Christians, we are learning something about the
life of holiness in the church.  We are to be deliberate in our dealings
with each other.  St. Paul speaks enough about Christian living in his
epistles.  One must look carefully for St. Paul’s words of Christian
living.  When one does, he will see that St. Paul often speaks of the life
of the church as a quiet one.  He tells the Thessalonians, “to make a point
to live quietly...”1 Thessalonians 4:11.

St. Paul even says to mind your own business.  He is talking about life in
the church.  Not only are you not to use your tongue wrongly, but St. Paul
even likes to remind us that we are to use our tongues sparingly, but
primarily for the praise and honor of God.  You have been given a tongue for
one reason--to confess God’s name and pray to Him.  This is also why Jesus
tells us in the gospel that we are not to swear by heaven nor by earth.  Let
your yes be yes and your no, no.  Anything else is from the evil one.

Why does Jesus speak this way? He is trying to warn us and encourage us to
lives of humility and trust.  The sermon on the mount starts out, after all,
with the Beatitudes (St. Matthew 5:3-12).  What stands out in regards to
this gospel today is the Beatitude-- “Blessed are the meek.”  The Greek word
for “meek” gives us insight into what this is.  The “meek” are gentle
spirits, not quarrelsome.  The “meek” are prayerful, and slow to utter
words.  The “meek” will stop, think, and ponder things before they decide
how something should be said or done.

This is seen as a weakness in the world but a virtue in the church.  Why?
Why is Jesus urging us in between the lines to be cautious with our words
and actions? Hastily spoken words and thoughtless actions will lead to sin.
This is what Jesus is speaking about in the gospel this morning,
specifically.  The problem with sin is that sin begets sin.  The person who
is the worst off is the one who mindlessly sins and never gives it any
thought.

Such living perpetuates sin and the person is found to be up to their neck
in sin and problems.  Sin affects the sinner, deeply.  If we think that sin
has no affect on our souls, then we are to be pitied.  Sin is like baggage.
The further we walk without confessing our sins and amending our sinful
lives, the heavier the baggage gets.  We become so burdened by our baggage
of sin that we can longer find any good in our lives or in the lives of
others.  We soon forget that their is a better way, and if we don’t rectify
the situation before it consumes us, we will eventually forget that there is
a God who loves us.

Jesus teaches and preaches these words to the disciples and the church in
order to urge caution.  As God’s holy saints, we are to watch our lives.  We
are to guard them carefully because we are not “empty.”  You have the Holy
Spirit dwelling within you, who you received in baptism.

Jesus teaches and preaches also to remind us that we do not live for
ourselves but for God who has redeemed us.  The baggage of sin which weighs
down on your shoulders is not meant to be there any longer.  Jesus took the
weight of your sin and removed it from your shoulders.  He did this for the
whole world.  As Jesus took the weight of sin off of mankind, He placed the
whole world’s sins upon His own shoulders and buried them with Himself as He
died on the cross.  The weight is lifted.

The church is at peace because of the merits and love of Jesus.  What the
church experiences is the love, peace, and mercy of the heavenly Father
through the blood of His Son.  And we are all one in Christ.  We live not
for ourselves.  Jesus has become the church’s life.  This means that what
goes on in the world is meant to stay in the world as it makes way for the
quiet, meek, and gentle life in Christ.

Jesus lives in you and you in Him, because you are His baptized children who
have been freed from the bonds of sin.  So, the disciples listened to these
words of Jesus.  For the first time, no doubt, they were learning a new way
of living that would grow and develop in the churches as they continued to
preach and teach.  God is in our midst, and we live in Him.  It is done by
grace; by the precious love and compassion of our Lord for His creation,
which renders you holy, just, free, and in His garden which bears the quiet
and contentment of His love.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church