St. Matthew 5:38-48

Dearly beloved,

 Today focuses on yet another installment of Jesus’ famed “Sermon on the
Mount.”  The sermon is preached to Christ’s disciples.  They were on a
mountain away from the hustle and bustle of the world.  It was customary for
Jesus to go up mountains to teach and pray.  It must have been a good, quiet
environment in which to think on the things of God.

 As Jesus taught, He came to a very important and difficult subject--loving
enemies.  Christians are quick to agree with Jesus when it is convenient.
But when it comes time to truly love our enemies, we find it next to
impossible to carry out.  Rather than just reiterate the words contained in
the gospel for today, I want to discuss why Jesus says what He says.

 The Sermon on the Mount is a sermon that is meant to prepare these
disciples to carry on the apostolic ministry when Jesus is resurrected and
ascends to heaven.  Jesus is laying forth the ways of the church.  He is
trying to teach them how the man who is placed into the apostolic ministry
will live out his existence.  These men who listen to the sermon will go
forth bringing Christ to the people through Word and Sacrament, and the
church must live in a way that the fragrance of Christ will emanate from
those within the church.

If you are to be a disciple of Jesus, then love must be evident within you.
You are to love your enemies, bless those who curse you, and give to those
who hate you.  Why? Because the church has no existence apart from Christ,
and it is Christ’s way to love and bless those who hate Him.  His very
ministry was defined by these precepts.  Jesus came to love and serve, not
to be served.  Can you do this?

Jesus came in the midst of those who hated Him in order to give blessing.
Jesus never entered a crowd hoping to be accepted.  Jesus came to speak
words of

forgiveness and truth.  Jesus came to heal; bless; love; shine the light of
truth in the midst of a dark world.  Jesus came to bring something into a
group of people.  He offers His love to all.  There is a reason that Jesus
tells the church to love her enemies.  A crowd of people is always a
mixture.  Some people in any group are happy, healthy, prosperous,humble
people seeking truth.  In the same crowd are people who are never happy.

In the same crowd are people who are hurting, suffering and the like.  Every
group is a diverse one.  Jesus is the gospel, and the gospel comes into the
midst of crowds like this and the offer of forgiveness is for all.  In such
a situation one thing is certain.  Every person in the crowd will never be
the same again once the gospel enters.  How so? When Jesus enters the crowd
with His words of forgiveness and truth, it will either be received with
thanksgiving or it will be rejected.  Those people, regardless of how they
receive the gospel will never be exactly the same again.

Either they will grow in Christ and faith will sprout and spread, or those
who reject Christ will move further away from Him.  The Christian is never
in a static position.  Athanasius once remarked that the soul of a person is
always in movement.  Either the soul is in movement toward God or it is in
movement toward its own lusts.  But, in each case, no person is the same
once Jesus enters the scene.

So, Jesus speaks these words to future apostles, who will have the ministry
of the Word and the Sacraments.  They will do as Jesus had done.  Just as
Jesus entered crowds with His precious words of life and forgiveness, we
will see Peter, James, John and, later, St. Paul going to crowds with Jesus
on their lips offering the same gift of comfort and forgiveness.  The reason
for loving our enemies just as we love our friends and neighbors is due to
the salvific quality of the preaching of the gospel.

 God uses the gospel to change hearts and spring forth faith.  The Holy
Spirit is given through preaching.  Martin Luther had a very good and
somewhat unique take on how the church should deal with the world in this
regard--and with the enemies of the gospel.  When the Reformation really
shot forth as out of a canon, many of Luther’s contemporaries who shared
some of his ideas believed that unbelievers and false teachers should be
killed for their unbelief.  Many of those who later when on to develop
Protestantism were of the belief that if people didn’t repent of their
wicked ways and thoughts, then she should be hanged, burned at the stake,
etc.

 Many of the Protestant movements such as in England and Scotland, even
started wars in the name of the truth.  Much killing ensued.  Luther looked
at the words in this gospel and took them to heart.  Luther did not agree
with his contemporaries.  He believed that the enemies of the gospel should
be allowed to live because, he said, their only hope in being saved was to
hear the gospel over and over.  Luther trusted that if it was God’s will,
then the Holy Spirit would convert the hearts of his enemies.

 Luther also saw the importance of this in the church.  By no means should
the sin of our enemies be allowed to run rampant.  Sinful behavior must be
dealt with, and our love is shown to our enemies when we seek repentance for
their sin.  Luther understood the work of the pastor to be just like the
work of Jesus and the apostles.  Luther once remarked that if a faithful
minister of the gospel faithfully preached the gospel in a church for years
and the people rejected the gospel and the pastor, then it had to be the
devil doing his evil bidding.

 If the gospel preached by the pastor bore much good fruit, then it was seen
a blessing of God that caused people of faith to hear the pastor’s preaching
and cling faithfully to Christ.  At the end of it all, it is God who blesses
and God who punishes.  Psalm 60 ends fittingly: Give us help from trouble,
for the help of man is useless.  Through God we will do valiantly, for it is
He who shall tread down our enemies”(Psalm 60:11-12).  The enemies of the
gospel are dealt with through the preaching of Christ.  Either they will
turn and be saved, or God Himself will tread down the enemies in due time.

 The Christian hears these words of Christ in this gospel and is forced to
realize failure.  We do not often have the patience and love needed to
tolerate those who hate us.  Our sins convict us, and if we do not repent,
they will condemn us.  But our Lord is faithful and selfless.  Jesus came to
love us when we were unlovable.  The men who persecuted Him with whips and
nails were unlovable creatures, as well, and yet He cries from the cross,
“Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do”(St. Luke 23:34).

 This is the Lord’s response to you, as well.  The Lord will not count your
sins against you.  You are forgiven.  Jesus loves you, and came serving when
you were helpless.  Now you are alive.  You live in His grace and mercy.
You are holy.  Christ’s service to you does not end.  It is ongoing.  Jesus
comes to you just as He came to those crowds in the gospel, and He enters
your midst with a blessing and the gift of the Holy Spirit.  You are like a
beautiful garden full of life.  Your souls bloom by the rays of the gospel.

 A new road is paved and you walk on it.  You are fed with Jesus on this
way, and Jesus continues to change you as He comes to you.  You grow, you
mature in the faith, you are led and blessed as you journey with your Lord
who continues to work His love in you brought from the cross.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church