St. Matthew 18:1-20

There is great confusion today about what Christianity is.  This is true not
just from the perspective of pagan society, but there is a great variation
of thoughts as to the meaning and content of Christianity interspersed among
Christian denominations and even in congregations.  What is the Christian
life? What is worship? How does “belonging to Jesus” actually define my
life?

How one answers these questions is largely dependent upon a church’s
theology.  In order to answer these questions correctly, we must put first
things first.  There has to be an order of thought.  Two main areas that we
often consider when we think of Christianity is 1.  Jesus and His atonement
for the sins of the world, and 2. the Christian life.

A good many people focus on Jesus (point #1) but fail to consider point #2
the Christian life). These folks spend a lot of time talking about Jesus but
give little regard to  holiness of life.  It seems impossible that this
could happen when one comes to church to hear the scriptures, but it does
happen quite often. Others focus on the Christian life but, ironically,
don’t focus much on Jesus--they focus more on themselves, their works, and
their own strength to lead Christian lives.  The gospel appointed for today
covers much ground.  We must content ourselves to examine only a section of
the gospel today.

The disciples were very attentive to Jesus--all that He said and did.  They
were trying to understand and make sense of it all.  These disciples would
often ask questions in order to better understand Jesus and all things
concerning salvation.  So, they come forth with the question: “Who then is
the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”  Jesus responds by discussing how
one must be to simply enter the kingdom of heaven.

There were two different viewpoints of heaven in this dialogue.  The
disciples were thinking heaven was easy to enter.  They didn’t want to know
who could get in....they wanted to know who was the greatest in heaven.
Jesus gives the reality that getting to heaven is more difficult for people
than they realized: “Truly, I say to you, unless you are converted and
become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of
heaven.”  The characteristic to exhibit: being humble.

Thus, Jesus answers their question: “Therefore, whoever humbles himself as
this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”  If we put
first things first, one must realize that implied in who gets into the
kingdom of heaven is the requirement that the person believe in Jesus, which
is to fear, love and trust in Him above all things.  Then comes humbleness.
Being humble is to look to God for everything rather than to trust in
yourself--to become quiet, trustful, content, and at peace on the lap of
Jesus.

Being humble, by way of extension, means that we treat others as better than
ourselves.   We put off our intense focus on our own individuality and our
needs, as we fix our gaze to heaven in order to spend our lives calling out
to Jesus and hearing His answer in the Scriptures and in the blessed
sacrament.  We rest at ease as we sit on the lap of Jesus, our Savior and
Protector.

To put first things first, to exhibit the humble character of a child, is to
first recognize our need for Jesus.  Our sins slay us and they must.  Jesus
and His atonement is key and it is first.  Without the salvation that comes
from the cross, we would have nothing.  We would be empty and lost.  Once
the church correctly understands the need for the cross to be central in her
life, then comes humility and love.  St. Paul speaks this way of putting
first things first in His apostolic ministry.

St. Paul tells Timothy: “This is a faithful saying and worthy of all
acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I
am chief”(1 Timothy 1:15).  This is key.  Then St. Paul speaks of the second
aspect of Christianity that must necessarily follow from his apostolic
ministry: “However, for this reason, I obtained mercy, that in me first
Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are
going to believe on Him for everlasting life”(1 Timothy 1:16).

Jesus shows longsuffering in the ministry of St. Paul as a
pattern--humbleness follows.  This is far-reaching.  Not only is there the
suffering for the gospel that follows, but even the Christian’s own
wrestling with sin is a part of the Christian life.  Many people think that
once a person becomes a Christian, then they no longer sin.  This view that
Christians don’t sin is dangerous and leads to a certain hypocrisy.  What
really happens is the Christian, as he or she sees the need for Christ’s
atonement, will begin to see a great struggle with sin within themselves.

One of the difficulties of this gospel is in coming to the realization that
Jesus is talking about church structure and governance.  Jesus is talking to
the disciples who will become those who lead and govern in the church.
Jesus is talking about sin.  Jesus even says: “If your hand or foot causes
you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you.”  This speaks concerning those
in the church who are members of the body of the Christ but are intent on
destruction.  Those who do not order their steps in humility but order them
in self-fulfillment and self-centeredness are to be cast from the church
lest they cause “one of these little ones to sin,” ie. to fall from grace.
We must go back to Jesus seeking His grace and favor.

This gospel is meant for us to put first things first.  The church is to
look to Christ for forgiveness and salvation.  Then, the church orders her
steps in the pattern of Christ--in humility, love, service, and quiet
contemplation.  Both are necessary.  We cannot remove Christ from our lives,
nor can we be content to live in our sins and let them run rampant, for we
will meet certain destruction in either case.  A lack of fear, love and
trust in God above all things, coupled with a desire to live in our sins
without repentance is a death sentence.

As harsh as this is...and it is harsh....the journey that we are on with
Jesus is not up to us--we are not left to our own powers.  Being a Christian
is a joyous thing.  You are being pulled out of the world and Jesus is
making you His precious children.  His words of warning in the gospel are
for your protection.  He greatly cares for you.  Jesus shed His blood on the
cross for your sins.  Jesus knows that you will struggle.  Jesus knows that
faith is tough.  He also knows that Christian service is an uphill battle
against sin.  Jesus doesn’t call you to your own perfection: He calls you to
be faithful.

Jesus places you in His body, the church, because of His unending love and
mercy.  His forgiveness for your sins is without end.  As He forgives you,
He also changes you.  Jesus is teaching you continually through the word and
sacraments, as you pray to Him in the liturgy.  Your hymns of “Lord, have
mercy” are met with His response of absolution, forgiveness, and the giving
of His body and blood in the sacrament for you to eat and drink.

Your faith and your Christian service come from Jesus, as He loves you and
leads you forth in this world.  The pattern of the cross was traced on your
forehead and heart in baptism, both, to show you that you are redeemed and
that you move distinctly in this world as one of Christ’s precious children
with whom He walks as you journey through His Father’s creation.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church