St. Mark 1:14-20

 The account of Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection help us to
understand His “making fishers of men.”  It also helps us to understand the
historical account of Jonah.  In turn, understanding Jonah sheds light on
the mending of the nets in the gospel.  The central thought is the sea, the
fish, and the fishermen.  Jonah is told by God to go to the people of
Nineveh and he is to preach to them in order that they may repent.

 Jonah, not caring for the people of Nineveh and desiring to see them
perish, went in the opposite direction and caught the next boat out of
there.  Jonah sleeps in the belly of the boat in peace while turmoil and
chaos ensues on deck and in the sea.  The end of the sailor’s story comes
as they throw Jonah overboard and into the sea in order to calm the chaotic
and abysmal waters.

 Represented in between the lines is judgment for Jonah for not doing what
he was called to do: to preach God’s word.  Being cast into the sea was
like being cast into the depths of Sheol.  But God, in His mercy, teaches
us many things in the account as He also teaches Jonah.  Jonah is in the
belly of a great fish and in his great suffering, prays to God from the
belly of the fish and says, “I cried by reason of my affliction to the
Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell I cried, and you heard my
voice”(Jonah 2:2).

 Jonah’s prayer goes on to confess that to be in the sea is to be out of
God’s sight...a most horrible condition.  The sea represents hell, and
Jonah suffered it because of his refusal to hear God’s word in his life.
We, too, must take heed to this very danger.  It is all too easy for us to
set aside God’s word for the sake of what we desire.  Jonah is two images
in one account for us.  Jonah stands as a warning.  To think of the
fishermen in the gospel, we consider that it must have been refreshing,
humbling, and intriguing to have the God of heaven come and say, “Come,
follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

 To begin the journey with Christ has a different feel than the long,
sustained travel on a journey.  The gospel comes to us and our hearts are
cheered.  But, the long travel presents difficulties and challenges.  It is
in the difficulties where we find our greatest struggle.  Jesus warns us
about this in St. John 5:14, “Behold, you are healed: sin no more, lest a
worse thing come to you.”  The apostle Peter, that man who was mending his
nets, knows this very well and he adds comment: “For if after they have
escaped the pollution of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ, and they are again entangled, and overcome, the latter
end is worse for them than the beginning”(2 Peter 2:20).

 It is the sustained journey, as with Jonah, that becomes difficult.  We
live life, and we become entangled in difficult situations that threaten to
compromise our Christian faith and life.  We, then, look at God’s doctrines
merely as nice ideas and good suggestions, but we fail to cling to God’s
teaching when we encounter life situations.  But God’s word is clear.
Jonah learns this.  Peter, Andrew, James, and John would come to learn the
same thing but in different situations.

 You must be careful not to set aside God’s doctrines.  To do so means
certain death.  To conclude that you can sin because Jesus is merciful will
lead you into a worse state than you were in before you were brought to
Christ.  You must take heed to the first image we see in Jonah--our end due
to sin--to be cast into the tempestual and abysmal sea that is hell.

 The church, then, sees the other image of Jonah, and it is Jesus who
provides the image through His preaching.  Jesus compares His own
suffering, death, and resurrection in St. Matthew 12 to that of Jonah’s
experience: “Just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of
the fish; so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the
heart of the earth”(St. Matthew 12:40).

 The gospel shows the Father’s grace.....we see ourselves in these
disciples who were fishermen.  Peter would toil, throwing his net into the
sea to catch fish and sometimes the net would bring in nothing.  Then we
see James and John mending their nets.  This world affords us all trouble.
It is God’s curse due to sin that through much toil we will work in this
world and it will bring forth thorns and thistles: work will be tough, the
things that we use will break down and deteriorate over time.  We will
deteriorate over time due to sin.

The nets for fishing need mending for they do not continue on in this world
without succumbing to the fallen effects of this world.  But what is behind
the statement that Jesus will make these someday apostles “fishers of men”
is not the emphasis on the men as much as the net that they will use.  It
is the gospel net: it is Christ who shall, like Jonah, be three days and
three nights in the tomb and who shall be resurrected and be found on shore
cooking fish, having dominion over death--having defeated death and the
grave.  This is the net that Peter, Andrew, James, and John shall cast into
the tempestuous and abysmal sea of hell.

 Jesus alludes to this in the Sermon on the Mount: “Lay not up for
yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust destroy and where
thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in
heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroy, and where thieves do not break
through and steal”(St. Matthew 6:19-20).  We mistakenly focus on the law
side of Mark’s gospel: “being fishers of men.”  This is the statement of
Peter’s apostolic task that lay in the future.  What we miss and what we so
desperately need is that “the kingdom of God is at hand.”

There is a net that will be used that moth nor rust shall destroy.  No
mending is needed on the gospel net.  Christ’s suffering, death, and
resurrection-the gospel-reaches into the places where hell’s grasp holds
tightly and pulls us out.  Those who wallow in a life that seems dark are
suddenly brought into a new place.  They are brought onto shore with Jesus
where a new life of forgiveness is found.

 This treasure comes to you through God’s faithful love and the preaching
of Jesus Christ crucified, died, and resurrected, bringing you forgiveness,
hope, salvation, and a new way of living and seeing this world.  Moth and
rust may destroy earthly things.  Nets for fishing may need mending, but
our Lord Christ is perfect and resilient.  Nothing can destroy Christ’s
atonement for your sins.  It is sure and certain, and it is complete.

 You are on the peaceful shore with Jesus and because of Jesus.  You abide
in His arms and have the pleasures of heaven coming your way.  The gentle
waters of Christ’s mercy come to us......and we give thanks this day for
such an unshakeable and sustainable gift through Christ’s blood.  Amen.

--
Rev. Chad Kendall
Trinity Lutheran Church