"The Treasure of Confession and Absolution"
Ash Wednesday
February 22, 2012
Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21

This Lenten season when we gather midweek we will be exploring the
blessing of Confession and Absolution. Confession and Absolution is a
big thing with Lutherans. We know well that we all are in need of
confessing our sins. We know even better that the purpose of that is
to receive Absolution, the forgiveness of our sins. What we Lutherans
may be losing, though, is the treasuring of Confession and Absolution.
Somewhere along the line it fell out of use as a regular part of the
lives of Christians. The Confession and Absolution spoken of as the
Fifth Chief part of the Small Catechism is something in addition to
the general confession of sins and the general statement of Absolution
that we do at the beginning of the worship service on Sunday mornings.

It’s what’s usually referred to as private or individual Confession
and Absolution. Many people think of this as a Roman Catholic ritual.
But it never has been that. It has always been at the heart of
Christian life and the life of the Christian Church. If it’s been a
while since you’ve looked at that section of the Catechism I would
encourage you to look at it again. When it comes to the need for it,
some people are unnerved by the thought of going to their pastor
privately to confess their sins. This is understandable. For as much
public awareness as there is of people’s lives on the internet
Facebook and YouTube as well as the tabloids at the grocery counter,
we live in a very private society. We don’t want anyone else to know
our deepest darkest faults and thoughts. There’s also the fear that
the pastor being a human will blab their sins to his fellow pastors,
or worse, the other members of the congregation. Then there is simply
the question of why it’s necessary. We get forgiven in the Absolution
on Sunday. We get forgiven in the proclamation of the Gospel and in
the Lord’s Supper. Not only that, we have direct access to God and are
granted forgiveness daily. Why do we also need to do it in a private
setting to the pastor?

These are real and understandable concerns and questions. The answers
might best be seen in the context of why we’re here. We’re here
because we’re starting the Lenten season. We’re here because it’s Ash
Wednesday. We’re certainly here because of our need, our sinfulness,
and in order to receive forgiveness. We’re here because it’s valuable
to take time out of the normal schedule of our lives to hear and
receive the Word of God; to hear the proclamation of the forgiveness
of our sins. All of these reasons why we’re here tonight match up
nicely with the value of private Confession and Absolution.

Even as the Lenten season is a season of repentance and meditating on
the passion of Christ, our lives need to be lives of repentance.
Throughout our lives we need to consider the suffering and death of
our Lord and what that means for our daily lives. Individual
Confession and Absolution provides this. Even as a setting of being
here gives you opportunity for spiritual growth, a setting in which
you confess your personal sins to your pastor gives you an opportunity
to hear the words of the Gospel spoken to you in a manner that is
personal, spoken directly to your situation.

In the Gospel reading Jesus is not directly speaking to Confession and
Absolution. But He is talking about righteousness. If we may not see a
major need for private Confession and Absolution we certainly can see
the need for righteousness. Jesus talks in the Gospel reading about
righteousness in a very private way. Do not practice your
righteousness in a way in which it is a show. Do not live as a child
of God in such a way that others notice it and your focus begins to be
on yourself just as theirs is on you. Certainly do not seek to gain
favor in the eyes of God by what you do, how you do it, how much you
do, how well you do it, and countless other ways you can think of to
consider yourself righteous. When Jesus speaks of the practicing of
righteousness, as He does here, it’s in the context of the
righteousness that He first declares to you.

And this is the treasure of Confession and Absolution. No one likes to
admit they’re wrong. No one likes to have to say they’re sorry. But
what a treasure this is. It’s a blessing to be able to get it out in
the open instead of it staying hidden in your mind and heart.
Especially to be able to be before God and confess your sin to Him is
a treasure He has given us. If in the recesses of your mind that one
sin that keeps plaguing you is still hanging around and you can’t
shake the guilt then Confession and Absolution is medicine for you.
When you sin against someone and you apologize to them face to face
you get to receive forgiveness directly from them. You get to hear
from their mouth the words, “I forgive you.”

This is what is happening in private Confession and Absolution. When
you go to your pastor and confess your sins to him you are confessing
them to God. He’s a person just as you are, but he’s not there simply
as another person. He’s there in the stead of God. The vow he made was
to hear confession and never divulge it. The reason this is a treasure
is because when you’re talking with God all by yourself you can’t hear
anything back. It’s true that He speaks to you in His Word, the Bible.
But with private Confession and Absolution you get to hear the words
spoken by God Himself through His called and ordained servant the
specific words of forgiveness to you, for your sin.

Jesus said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be
also.” What is it that you treasure? What do you hold most dear? God
Himself is a treasure. You ought to treasure Him above all else. You
don’t, of course. But that’s why you continue to go back to
repentance, confessing your sins, asking Him for His mercy. You do
this because you know what kind of God you have. You have the God who
looks at you and sees the waters of Baptism flowing over you. He sees
you and sees you clothed in His Son Jesus Christ, in whom you were
clothed in Baptism. When He sees you He can’t wait to tell you these
words, I forgive you of all your sins. Now you can see what a treasure
it is that God gives when He dishes out His mercy, beginning in
Baptism, often in the Lord’s Supper, and with the open invitation to
Confession and Absolution. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]