"God's Powerful Holy Word Gives Pentecost Its Powerful Holy Meaning"
In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.] Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father, and from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. [Amen.]
"Thy strong word did cleave the darkness;
At Thy speaking it was done.
For created light we thank Thee,
While Thine ordered seasons run.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise to Thee who light dost send!
Alleluia, alleluia!  Alleluia without end!
"Thy strong word bespeaks us righteous;
Bright with Thine own holiness,
Glorious now, we press toward glory,
And our lives our hopes confess.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise to Thee who light dost sent!
Alleluia, alleluia!  Alleluia without end!"
(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 578:1, 3) First Reading................................................ Acts 2:1-21 (Esp. 5-8, 12-13) 5Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians-we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God." 12And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "What does this mean?" 13But others mocking said, "They are filled with new wine." Prologue: [Tomorrow / Today] is "The Day of Pentecost" in the liturgical church year calendar. An accurate explanation of it is that "The Church lives and moves and has her being through the gracious inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Without God's Spirit, no one could come to Christ or believe in Him. The fifty-day celebration of Easter ends with this joyous festival. The risen and ascended Savior has sent the Holy Spirit to be our Sanctifier, entering our hearts at Holy Baptism, nurturing us through the Word, and enabling us to understand the Gospel and to live a life that honors God and serves our neighbor." (Treasury of Daily Prayer. Scott A. Kinnaman, Gen. Ed. Copyright © 2008 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 330.) Before Christ ascended back to His heavenly home ten days prior to Pentecost, He told His disciples, "I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49 ESV) Different people define and demonstrate power in different and diverse ways. For instance, some people define and demonstrate physical power by personal muscle mass and tone, health and vitality, and coordination and endurance. Others define and demonstrate mental power by intellectual sharpness and academic performance, wisdom and problem solving ability, and use of vocabulary and proper grammar. Still others define and demonstrate economic power by checking and saving accounts balances and successful investments, financial stability and absence of or minimal indebtedness, and shrewd use of the financial resources with which God blesses them. Of course, we often find power in whom we know, not what we know or who we are. However, omnipotence is one of God's many attributes that reveal who He is. Yahweh declared to Pharaoh, "But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power . ." (Ex 9:16 ESV) and Jesus informed His disciples regarding the Last Day, "And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory." (Mark 13:26 ESV) The professional sports realm defines and demonstrates power by astutely combining all three elements of physicality, mentality, and economy. The St. Louis Cardinals exemplified that when they demonstrated that they were the most powerful major league baseball team last year by persevering throughout the 162-game regular season, successfully navigating the National League playoffs, and finally winning the 2011 World Series. For many decades the United States of America has enjoyed the prominent position as the most powerful nation in the world, largely due to the many military men and women who sacrificed their lives in the fields of battle and whom we gratefully remember for such this Memorial Day weekend. Sadly, our spiritual, moral, economic, and military decline may well result in a loss of that status. The power that we consider in the context of this created world pales in comparison with and contrast to the power of Almighty God's powerful holy word. Its intrinsic power is overwhelmingly more powerful than the physical, mental, and intellectual power of any individual person and, in fact, all human beings collectively that have ever lived in the past, are living in the present, and will yet live in the future. Today's Old Testament Reading illustrated that when Ezekiel reported, "And as I prophesied, there was a sound, and behold, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. And I looked, and behold, there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them. So I prophesied as [Yahweh Adonai] commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army." (Ezek 37:7b-8a, 10 ESV) Today's sermon text that's taken from the Second Reading gives us a glimpse of such power as we witness through reading and hearing this narrative account the fact that .
"God's Powerful Holy Word Gives Pentecost Its Powerful Holy Meaning."
Now, let's recall the two meanings that define the word "Word" in the Bible. First, "Word" (especially when preceded by "Holy") usually refers to the literary content of that sacred book, especially the Gospel message about which a psalmwriter declared, "[God's] Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Ps 119:105 ESV) Second, "Word" also refers to Jesus Christ, who is the center and focus of that sacred book's content and about whom Saint John stated, ". the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14 ESV) God revealed in His written Holy Word that He initially displayed His powerful verbal word when He spoke into existence this world and all its contents during the six days of creation. "The Word [that] became flesh and dwelt among us" (John 1:14 ESV) also displayed His divine powerful holy word when He provided drink for the thirsty and food for the hungry, healed the ill and repaired the infirm, and raised the dead back to life all with His powerful spoken holy word. Today God's Holy Word produces faith in the hearts of mankind, cleanses sin-sick souls with the declaration of absolution, transforms plain H2O into "the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5, ESV), and consecrates simple bread and wine that then transport the real body and blood of Jesus Christ to us according to Saint Paul's proclamation, "The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?" (1 Cor 10:16 ESV) Of course, he based that on Christ's own words of institution, "Take, eat; this is my body. . Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant . ." (Matt 26:26-28 ESV) The miracle in today's sermon text that resulted in the disciples being able to speak in foreign languages that they had not previously studiously learned prompted the familiar Lutheran question, "What does this mean?" (Acts 2:12 ESV) The initial answer was the feeble incorrect explanation of alcohol-induced drunkenness. The factual explanation, however, was that .
  I.   The Holy Spirit Enables the Proclaiming of God's Holy Word. (1-4)
1When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. There's ample evidence in God's Holy Word that the Holy Spirit enables men to publicly proclaim God's Word by speaking and writing it. Jesus told His disciples, "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." (John 14:26 ESV) and in today's Gospel Reading, "But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning ... ." (John 15:26-27 ESV) Saint Paul declared that "All Scripture is breathed out by God . ." (2 Tim 3:16 ESV) And, Saint Peter testified that ". no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." (2 Peter 1:21 ESV) The Church's confessional standard (although some pastors and congregations practice contrary to it) is "that no one should publicly teach in the Church, or administer the Sacraments, without a rightly ordered call." (The Augsburg Confession [1577] in Concordia, The Lutheran Confessions: A Reader's Edition of the Book of Concord. Paul Timothy McCain, General Editor. Copyright © 2005, 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 41.) In light of that, the Holy Spirit also enables today's legitimate public preachers such as Pastor Marks and me in this local worship setting and some televangelists over the radio and television to proclaim God's Holy Word. However, the validity of such messages is determined by whether or not they're consistent with God's Holy Word. Sadly, there are illegitimate public preachers and televangelists whose messages are both inconsistent with and contradictory to God's Holy Word. That's why it's vitally important for you, the hearers, to "read, mark, study, learn, and take to heart" God's Holy Word so you can critically examine what we public preachers and televangelists are saying to determine whether it's consistent with or contradictory to God's Holy Word. We have an example of such in Holy Scripture, wherein we read that the Berean Christians, whom Paul and Silas taught, "received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." (Acts 17:11 ESV) Just what is that legitimate message of God's Holy Word? It's one that proclaims the "truth [that] is made known in . the Old Testament, which promises the coming Savior, and the New Testament, which tells of the Savior who has come." It's one that "must sharply distinguish between the Law and the Gospel in the Bible." On the one hand, "In the Law God commands good works of thought, word, and deed and condemns and punishes sin." On the other hand, "In the Gospel, the good news of our salvation in Jesus Christ, God gives forgiveness, faith, life and the power to please Him with good works." (Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986/2008 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 48, 51f.) That grand and glorious Gospel message is one in which .
 II.   God's Spoken Holy Word Proclaims God's Holy Living Word. (14-21)
14But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:
        17"'And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
     that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
       and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
     and your young men shall see visions,
       and your old men shall dream dreams;
       18even on my male servants and female servants
       in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.
       19And I will show wonders in the heavens above
       and signs on the earth below,
         blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
       20the sun shall be turned to darkness
       and the moon to blood,
         before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day.
21And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.'" The key to the correct understanding of the Bible is none other than "Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, [who] is the heart and center of the Scripture and therefore the key to its true meaning." (Ibid. Pages 49f.) Saint Paul emphasized that truth that the Old Testament prophet Joel initiated when he wrote that "the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For 'everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'" (Rom 10:12-13 ESV) Just what does it mean to "call on the name of the Lord?" First and foremost it means to "confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead . ." (Rom 10:9 ESV) That meaning was extended by today's Gradual, which declared, "[God] will pour out [his] Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. With the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." (Acts 2:17b; Rom 10:10 ESV) Second, and of equal importance, is to partake of the Lord's Supper worthily by heeding Saint Paul's admonition, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself." (1 Cor 11:27-29 ESV) What that means is that "We receive it worthily when we have faith in Christ and His words, 'Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins.'" However, "A person is unworthy and unprepared when he or she does not believe or doubts Christ's words, since the words 'for you' require all hearts to believe." So, how do we know if we are worthy or unworthy? "We are to examine ourselves to see whether A. we are sorry for our sins; B. we believe in our Savior Jesus Christ and in His words in the Sacrament; [and] C. we plan, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to change our sinful lives." (Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation. Page 242.) In conclusion, therefore, let's make today's Pentecost Collect our daily passionate prayer, namely, "Grant us in our day by the same Spirit to have a right understanding in all things and evermore to rejoice in His holy consolation." As we do so, let's keep in mind that portion of today's Introit that begged, "Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of the faithful, and kindle in them the fire of your love. Alleluia." All of those words have particular meaning and application because .
"God's Powerful Holy Word Gives Pentecost Its Powerful Holy Meaning."
Throughout our Catechetical preparation to confirm our Baptismal vows and properly partake of Holy Communion, we asked "What does this mean?" As happened that first Pentecost and continues to do so today, we boldly answer that .
  I.   The Holy Spirit Enables the Proclaiming of God's Holy Word. (1-4)
So it was then that "The believers were . equipped and prepared to begin carrying out the assignment that the Lord and given to his church. The dramatic signs-the sound, the fire, the ability to speak in other tongues-were signs of that. Such signs did not always accompany the preaching of the apostles or the testimony of other believers. However, the Spirit sent by Jesus is always present and active when the gospel is spoken. He gives the Word its power, and he gives believers the power to speak the Word." (Richard D. Balge in People's Bible Commentary: Acts. Copyright © 2005 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 23f.) The result today as it was then is still that .
 II.   God's Spoken Holy Word Proclaims God's Holy Living Word. (14-21)
That is, "The preaching of Christ, which was begun by the lowly fishermen of Galilee, has gone out into all the world. And through this Gospel the exalted Christ, God Himself, is sending, pouring out His Spirit. The crucified Christ, now exalted to the right hand of God, is the almighty God. He is gathering unto Himself His Church out of all nations of the world. Sons and daughters, old and young, servants and maids, receive the gift of the Holy [Spirit]." (Paul E. Kretzmann in Popular Commentary of the Bible: The New Testament Volume I. Copyright © Unknown Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 540f.) God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.] In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]