Intro
Niles could be a demanding man.  This is no surprise to those who knew him.
Donna knew and lived it since she married Niles in 2007.  Yet, Donna also saw a
softer and gentler side of Niles that many of you may have not seen.  I even
had a chance to experience such from Niles, especially as his health waned and
he spent his last few weeks at Table Rock Nursing Home.

In his former, working years, Niles was an electrical engineer.  Electrical
engineers can work in many areas, but Niles never told me any specifics about
his work.  Yet, electrical engineers are practical; they test equipment and
solve problems.  That was Niles in a nutshell.  He was that way when he was on
the Board of Trustees for our congregation.  He didn’t mess around.  He told
you what he thought.  And if he disagreed with you, he let you know, as well.

Main Body
Some people can strongly disagree with you and yet remain friends.  That was
tough for Niles to do.  He lived what he thought and said what he thought.  And
during the last few weeks of his life, when his body was failing him, when
whatever he ate made him feel nauseous, it was hard for him to be gracious.  He
let the nurses and aides at Table Rock know.  He let Donna know.  He let me
know.

But Niles would also let me see other parts of his life when I would visit him.
 I remember, in particular, when Niles was feeling talkative one day, he told
me that it was ridiculous for him to be in the nursing home.  That was his
emotions talking.  But then I asked Niles, “Why were you brought here?”  And
then Niles told me about falling down and being unable to get up.  And then I
asked, “Was Donna there to help?”  And Niles said, “Oh, yes.  But she couldn’t
get me up.  She had to call the ambulance.”

And then I saw in Niles’ eyes that he knew exactly why he was there.  He was
too weak to walk, and he needed to get stronger to go home.

But Niles never got stronger.  He continued to weaken.  And it was then that
Niles told me that he wished he was a nicer man.  He said he didn’t want to be
so rough on the nurses and aides at Table Rock.  He said he wanted to treat
Donna better.  He was ashamed of how he spoke to her and treated her.  He told
me, “I don’t want to be that way.  I want to be nicer, but I don’t know why I
can’t be that man!”

And so Niles realized what the Apostle Paul told us in our Epistle reading.  “I
do not understand what I do.  I do not do what I want to do; instead, I do what
I hate.”  Niles recognized the sinful nature in him twisting and turning him in
ways he didn’t want to go.  He could agree with St. Paul: “I have the desire to
do what is right, but I cannot carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want
to do, but instead do the evil that I do not want to do.”

Niles wanted to serve God and neighbor, but he also realized how the wants of
the sinful flesh had imprisoned him.  Paul made that same point in Galatians
5:17: “For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires
what is against the flesh.  They are in conflict with each other, so you don’t
always do what you intend to do.”  And Jesus said, “The spirit is willing, but
the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:41).

Ah, so what Niles shared with me that day is the reality of the Christian life:
It’s a struggle.  The reality of the Christian life is not a simple case of
following a set of rules and everything works out right.  If that were true,
then the Ten Commandments would be enough.  If that were true, then the Old
Testament would’ve had no need to prophesy of a coming Messiah who would make
right what our sin had made wrong.  If the Law of God were enough, then knowing
what pleased God would be enough for us to do that.  But that’s not how the
Christian life works.  It didn’t work that way for Niles.  It didn’t work that
way for the Apostle Paul.  And it doesn’t work that way for you, either.

And so we are stuck in the continuous cycle of never fully getting it right.
We always mess up.  It just a matter of when and by how much.  And so with
Niles, we, too, cry out with Paul: “Wretched man that I am!  Who will rescue me
from this body of death?”

It’s interesting to know what the Apostle Paul then doesn’t say.  He doesn’t
say, “Oh, you just need a better strategy to reform and change.”  Paul doesn’t
say, “Oh, you just aren’t trying hard enough.”  He doesn’t say, “You just need
more principles to guide you in your daily living.”  He makes none of those
statements.

Paul doesn’t say such words because such words would only be throwing more crap
onto the pile of manure.  The solution is to bring all your messes to Jesus and
let Him clean them up.  And that’s what Paul says.  What does Paul say after he
calls himself a wretched man?  He says, “Thank God through Jesus Christ our
Lord!”  Paul was pointing to Jesus.

Jesus is the solution.  If you’re not sure that Jesus is the solution, then
read through the New Testament book of Romans.  In chapters 1-2, Paul shows
that we are all condemned before God because of our sin.  This is true whether
you buy into the Christian message or not.  This is true whether you try to
follow the Ten Commandments or whether you are an outright pagan.  For the
remnant of the God’s Law still written in our hearts won’t be fully silent when
we’ve done something wrong.  That’s why some people drink and do drugs to cover
up the guilt.  That’s why we as a culture keep trying to convince ourselves
that what is wrong isn’t wrong.

Then Paul says in Romans, chapter 3, that everyone is accountable to God--even
if someone denies it.  But then the glorious truth of Christ shines in all its
glory: Through faith and trust in Jesus, someone is righteous and in good
standing with God.  That’s why Paul says in Chapter 5 that, through faith, we
have been made right and so we have peace with God (Romans 5:1).

But what does that peace with God entail?  It lets us bring all our garbage to
God and He gives us forgiveness and wholeness in its place.  This swap, this
exchange, is a continuing reality for the Christian; it goes on until the day
you die.  And that starts taking place in Romans, chapter 6.  That’s the
chapter, which is part of our funeral liturgy, that tells us that baptism
connects us to Jesus’ crucifixion and death--but also to His resurrection!

And so Paul teaches that faith and baptism go together.  They are joined at the
hip.  Baptism is God’s ritual where He washes your sin away and gives you
Christ’s righteousness.  Baptism lets us cry out and say, “My sin may make me a
loser, but God still loves me.”  It lets us cry out, “I may be a loser because
of my sin, but God makes me a winner in Christ Jesus.”  It lets us say, as Paul
said in Romans, chapter 7, “Thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

Like Niles, you might see what is wrong--and you should.  But in Christ, God
sees what is right.  As Jesus called out, “Come to Me, all who are weary and
burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

So we live all our days with an inner battle, but we know that, in Christ, we
will be victorious.  Niles is now living free from sin, at the cusp of full
victory, for, like us, he still awaits the resurrection of the body on the Last
Day.  That’s when Niles’ body and soul will be joined for all eternity.  Right
now, only Niles’ soul is with God.  And so, even now, Niles is still living in
the faith, awaiting the fullness of his salvation, when he will be both a
sinless body and soul.

So, what are we to make of Niles right now?  Ah, the book of Hebrews tells us.
Hebrews, chapter 11, is the chapter that lists the heroes of the faith.  It
starts long ago, telling us of God’s Old-Testament saints, such as Abel, the
son of Adam and Eve.  It then moves forward in time, telling us about Abraham
and, later, Moses.  It even mentions martyrs in the Old Testament Apocrypha
book of Second Maccabees.  Then Hebrews exclaims about all the saints who have
died in the faith: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of
witnesses, let us throw off every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares
us.  Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us” (Hebrews 12:1).

Conclusion
Niles is now part of that great cloud of witnesses encouraging us to run the
race of faith.  He knew what it was to fail and not live out the faith as he
would’ve liked.  He was in good company, for he was in the company of the
Apostle Paul.  He was also in our company, as we also struggled (and struggle)
to live out and run the race of faith.

Now, Niles is exclaiming: “Oh, if you only knew what eternity is like you would
never grow weary of running the race of faith!  Run the race!  Press on!  For
your true home in eternity is worth more than anything you may ever have to
endure.”  Amen.

 --
 Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg
Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus,
His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given
and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and
spirit.