Intro
If we were to view human history in broad, sweeping strokes, we would find a
long-simmering war between the religion of mother earth and the religion of
Father God.  And what is this religion of mother earth?  It’s putting your
trust (which is, faith) in some part of creation instead of God, the Creator.

Main Body
Long ago, some worshiped and trusted in the sun or the moon for their
well-being.  Others looked to the spirits that they thought lived in trees or
mountains.  Today, many place their trust in money, which is just another part
of this created world.  Either way, it’s idolatry, for such a view trusts in
some part of creation instead of God, the Creator.

And then there are those who place their trust in science.  After all, haven’t
we advanced beyond all the superstitions of the past?  In our technological
wisdom, we can now scientifically explain a lot, even down to subatomic
particles.  And the wisdom of this age tells us that evolution is how we came
into being.

If true, then no personal God exists.  Instead, we came into being through
chance, random developments over billions of years, in which dead matter
eventually formed into living beings.  And these living beings developed over
time into the many plants and animals that we see today.  In this way, every
living being is connected because we are all joined somewhere on that
evolutionary tree of life.

Oh, it’s true that we are all connected.  But we are all connected because we
have the same Creator.  So, it shouldn’t surprise us then that we share much of
the same DNA with the other animals.  For we have the same Creator, don’t we?

But where does trusting in science for our eternal good leave us?  It leaves us
back with the pagans.  For if no eternal Creator exists, then nature, the stuff
of the universe, is what lasts forever.  With such a worldview, only the
material world is real and lasting.  And so, once again, we wind up revering
the creation instead of God, the Creator.

Do you see how, in one way or the other, all the idolatry of the human heart
places its trust in some part of creation instead of the Creator?  It’s the
continuing cancer of Satan’s lie to pull us away from Father God to mother
earth.  It pulls us away from the Lord of heaven and earth to some part of
creation, which we mistakenly trust as all-powerful in our lives.

We humans aren’t those who merely happen to have higher mental function than
the other animals.  God created us differently from any other part of creation.
 Only Adam was created in the image of God.

Consider how God created everything before He had created the first man, Adam.
God spoke everything into being through His Word.  He said, “Let there be
light,” and there was light.  Light existed even before God created the moon
and the stars.  And so we find that God even created time, by marking day and
night even before there was the sun to shine light on this earth.

God spoke into existence the birds of the air, the creatures of the sea, and
the animals of the land.  But there was one being who was different: Adam.  For
we learn in Genesis, chapter 2, that God formed Adam from the dust of the earth
and then breathed into him the breath of life (Genesis 2:7).

In Hebrew, the word for “breath” is the same word for wind or spirit.  It’s
ruach.  So, God enspirited Adam with His Spirit, breathing into him what
directly came from God.  That’s why only Adam was created in the image of God,
for no other animal came to life from God breathing His Spirit and breath into
it.

That’s why God gave mankind a greater value and status than the other beings of
His creation.  That’s why God gave human beings a unique role as stewards of
His creation.  For having received directly from God His breath that gave us
life, God then made us managers of His creation.

God said to Adam: “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it!
Rule over the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, and over every living
creature that moves on the ground” (Genesis 1:28).  God only told those who
bore His image to be the overseers of His creation, managing it, caring for it
according to His purposes, as His representatives.  God even commanded us to
subdue and rule over His creation.  In that way, we were to continue His work
of keeping His creation in perfect order.

That was what God had set up in the beginning.  But, when you look at creation
today, you see it deformed into something that God had not created it to be.
From our fall into sin came the seed of all that is wrong within creation.  All
the wrong that we see is but the continuing aftermath of us further ruining
what God originally created as good.

Imagine what creation would be like if we humans hadn’t fallen into sin!  How
different the world would be.  Yet, we continue to ruin and further distort
this created world by what we do.  It’s bad enough that we brought death into
this world by our fall into sin.  But we mess it up even further by our
violence, murder, and wars.

And so the question we should ask is not, “Why does God allow this evil or that
evil to exist?”  That’s a faulty question, which only shows that we are trying
to shirk our responsibility for the mess that we’ve made of this world.  This
world’s mess is we humans reaping what we have sown.  The honest and blunt
question to ask is this: “Why isn’t the world more messed up than it is?”

Before we fell into sin, all was good.  There was no death, evil, or decay.
That creation also fell, and became cursed with us, when we plummeted into sin,
shows that God set us to rule over His creation.  If that were not so, then our
fall into sin would have only affected us, not the rest of creation.  But
that’s not the case (Romans 8:19-25).

Death is the wages of our sin.  We have turned away from God, and what He
created us to be.  We weren’t satisfied to be under His authority, live
according to His will, and be what He created us to be.  Instead, we wanted to
run our own lives and be accountable to no one.  We wanted to treat creation,
not as something that belonged to God, over which He made us stewards, but as
something that belonged to us to use in whatever way we saw fit.  Even worse,
we corrupted and broke the image of God within us, cutting us off from eternal
life as a child of light.

But, thank God, that’s not the end of the story!  The same God who created us
in love has entered His fallen creation to recreate us in Christ.  Scripture
says that Christ is the image of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15).  What
does that mean?  It means that in the beginning, when God originally created
us, He created us in Christ, the eternal Son of God.  From the beginning, Jesus
was the heart and source of our life.

And so to restore to us the image of God, which we had ruined, the Son of God
came and shared in our humanity.  In Jesus, God became man to imprint again on
us His image, the image of God.

When God created, He did so through His Word.  He spoke, and it was so. “Let
there be light,” and there was light.  The Gospel of John tells us that Jesus
is the Word.  “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
the Word was God….  Through him, everything came into being … And the Word
became flesh and tabernacled among us” (John 1:1-2, 14).

To renew creation, Jesus became a part of His creation.  He became your blood
brother, taking your place under judgment and becoming accountable for your
sins.  Just as all creation groans, so He groaned and breathed His last for you
on the cross, breaking the curse of death, freeing you from your bondage to
decay.  That’s why His blood cleanses, renews, and makes everything right
between you and God the Father.

Even creation foretells and foreshadows the saving work of Christ.  Did you
notice how the creation account marks the days?  It’s not morning and then
evening the way we usually think of it.  Instead, we find the days marked by
evening and then morning.  First, it’s darkness; then it’s light.  First, it’s
the shadow of death; then it’s the light of life.  Jesus dies in the darkness
of Good Friday to subdue creation.  He then rises at the dawn of Easter
morning, ending death and bringing about a new creation.

The Scriptures say that no night will exist when God creates the new heaven and
earth, for God’s glory will be its light, and Jesus Christ will be its lamp
(Revelation 21:23).  And that Light of Christ has already shone, and continues
to shine, on you!

Scripture says, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: The old is gone
and the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17).  As the Spirit of God hovered over
the waters at creation, He also gave new life to you in the water and Word of
baptism.  You descended into the depths and rose again with Jesus to a life
that never ends.

So, don’t think of the earth as your mother.  Instead, think of the Church as
your mother through whom you have received your spiritual birth.  For this
ancient saying of the Church still rings true: “You don’t have God as your
Father if you don’t have the Church as your mother.”

Conclusion
In Christ’s Church, you find the Source of your life: Jesus Christ.  Here, you
find your Savior, who continues to speak His powerful and creative Word.  He
says, “Your sins are forgiven,” and they are.  He says, “This is My body and
blood, given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins,” and it is.  And so,
in faith, we repeat what God has said to us in His Word, after His first
creation: It is very good!  Amen.

--
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg
Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus,
His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given
and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and
spirit.