Intro
Today, especially within the media and intelligentsia, many mock the Christian
Faith.  Sometimes, it’s subtle; sometimes, it’s not.  They sometimes treat a
Christian the way someone might treat a mentally challenged person who does
something awkward.  They smile, nod politely, and then quickly shuffle him off.
 At best, they tolerate us; at worst, they push us out from much of the
conversation in the public square.

That seems especially true whenever we talk about the birth of Jesus.  Almost
no one denies that a man named “Jesus” was born when our calendar switched from
BC to AD.  But far fewer people are willing to believe, teach, and confess that
Jesus was conceived in a miraculous, extraordinary way.  Even within the walls
of the Church you sometimes hear how Jesus was the illegitimate son of a Roman
soldier, who may have raped Mary or got her pregnant.

Main Body
But St. Matthew tells us the truth: “The birth of Jesus Christ took place in
this way.  After His mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they
came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit” (Matthew
1:18).

Why was our Lord born of a virgin who was engaged, or betrothed, to be married?
 If it was all-important for our Lord to have a human mother, without a human
father, then why did God choose a woman who was betrothed, instead of already
married?

Well, we know that Joseph gives legitimacy to Mary.  After all, he was a
descendant of King David, from whom the Scriptures prophesied the Messiah would
come.  But it was more than that, much more!

God was also making a theological point that He wants us to get.  The Law would
consider a woman in Mary’s position--being pregnant and unmarried--as an
adulterer.  According to Old-Covenant Law, adultery carried the sentence of
death (Deuteronomy 22:22, Leviticus 20:10).  So, based on how it looked, Mary
had earned herself the death sentence.

Joseph’s role then becomes one of mirroring Christ: He takes the death penalty
away from Mary by marrying her.  Isn’t that how the New Testament describes us,
we in the Church, as the Bride of Christ?  It’s as if Joseph was going to
present Mary to himself “in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any other
blemish-- holy and blameless” (Ephesians 5:27).  And that is how Joseph will
come to see Mary.  But, right now, he’s not there yet.

It was in the Lord’s mercy and wisdom that He chose a young, betrothed, virgin
girl to be the mother of Jesus.  Of course, then, it was much misery and
hardship because it meant that Mary and Joseph would both lose their good
reputations.  But they accepted their roles willingly, for they looked in faith
to the One who would take all our reproaches away and give us purity and life
eternal.

That encourages us when we bear hardship or difficulty.  Instead of thinking
that God has abandoned us, we can remember that God is working through the
events of our lives, even the bad ones.  “We know that all things work together
for the good of those who love God” (Romans 8:28), for we know that God the
Father has “appointed [Jesus] as head over everything for the benefit of the
Church” (Ephesians 1:22).

Yet, as important as Joseph’s role was in the birth of our salvation, He did
not have sex with Mary or cause her to become pregnant.  That means Joseph is
not the real father of Jesus.  Joseph is only His guardian-father.

Jesus’ real father is God our heavenly Father, through the Holy Spirit working
through the Word that Gabriel, the angel, spoke.  And so, Mary became pregnant
through her ears, through the spoken Word of the angel.  Jesus’ conception did
not happen in a normal, earthly way, but in a new, heavenly, and divine way.
As St. Matthew tells us, Jesus’ conception was through or from “the Holy
Spirit.”

That’s how God sent His Son to become our salvation.  That’s how God sent His
Son to become another beginning for us.  At the dawn time, God formed Adam, our
first parent, from the new, virgin earth and gave him life by breathing into
him His breath, His Spirit.  But Adam became disobedient and fell into sin.
That drove the gift of God’s life far away, which is why every one of us
returns to the dust of the earth in death.

And so for our salvation, Jesus becomes the second Adam.  God the Father forms
His humanity from the virgin soil of Mary’s womb by the power of the Holy
Spirit.  God didn’t form Jesus’ human side from the soil of a new earth, but
from the dust that is our flesh through the womb of the Virgin Mary.

That was how Jesus came to be the beginning of a new humanity, who can also
save us while our old humanity still entraps us.  Jesus’ Holy- Spirit
conception is something on which our Faith stands or falls.  For if the Holy
Spirit didn’t cause Mary to become pregnant, then Jesus was just a man, not the
God in human flesh who saves us for eternity.

But poor Joseph doesn’t know about this--at least, not yet.  St. Luke tells us
how Gabriel came to Mary and told her that she would be the mother of the
Savior.  Joseph wasn’t there to hear that.  He probably found out when Mary
later told him.

Imagine Joseph’s predicament.  In his mind, he must have gone back and forth
about Mary’s pregnancy.  He could have made her pregnancy public, showing that
he had no part in an unlawful adultery.  But, according to the Law, that would
have made Mary an adulteress.  That would have meant the death sentence for
her.  But if Joseph pretended that Mary’s pregnancy never happened, he then
would be consenting of her actions.  What was Joseph to do?

St. Matthew explains what Joseph had decided to do: “[Mary’s] husband Joseph
was an honorable man and did not want to disgrace her publicly.  So he intended
to divorce her privately” (Matthew 1:19).  That’s what Joseph was going to
do--divorce her quietly.

You see, betrothal was serious.  The culture of that time considered those who
were betrothed as husband and wife, of course without the sexual relations.
That would happen after marriage.  Betrothal was so serious that someone could
break the betrothal, call off the marriage, only by going through a divorce.
It wasn’t like today’s marriage engagements.

And if early-Church tradition is accurate, Joseph had previously married and
had other children.  Those children became the brothers and sisters of Jesus,
which the New Testament mentions.  Joseph’s earlier wife had died, and he was a
man with a long-established and good reputation (Epiphanius of Salamis).  What
then should he do?

And when we learn what Joseph finally does, he gives us a good, Christian
example on how to deal with sin.  Of course, we still call a sin a sin.  But we
should also seek to deal with sin in compassion and mercy.  We should see
beyond the weakness that makes a sin so easy to commit and, instead, see the
Son of God, born of the Virgin Mary, who came to set us free from our
weaknesses and sins.

That’s the way God treats you.  He saw how, even from conception, the germ of
sin has infected each of us.  That’s why we have the sinful cravings and the
evil thoughts that we do.  We sin because we are conceived in sin.  We don’t
become sinners because we happen to do something wrong.  Sin is our congenital
condition, which we’ve inherited from Adam.

That’s why God sent His Son to be born in a new and pure way.  That was so we,
who are born in sin, could be reborn into holiness through the forgiveness of
sins.  That’s why Scripture calls baptism as a birth from above, or a new birth
(John 3:5-7).  That’s why God uses baptism to bring you into the forgiveness of
sins (Acts 2:38).  That’s the new birth that God uses to bring you into the new
life of Christ.

Well, back to Joseph.  He didn’t divorce Mary.  He, instead, responded to
Mary’s pregnancy by becoming the face of Jesus to her, to the one who was
swaddling the Christ-child within her womb.  Joseph sacrificed his reputation
to save Mary’s life.  That’s also what Jesus did: He responded to your sin on
the cross, giving up His pure life for your sinful life, all so you could live
forever in the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus, the Messiah, shows us what it means to be righteous.  It offends Him
that your sins enslave you.  So Jesus becomes human in every way, except sin,
so when He dies His death, He can give you His life.  That’s what the Angel
Gabriel meant when he said: “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary
as your wife, for what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.  She will
give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus, for he will save his people
from their sins” (Matthew 1:20-21).

That’s the salvation we need.  That’s the salvation for which we long.  That’s
the salvation that becomes reality on Christmas, when Jesus becomes the infant
God in human flesh.  Jesus becomes our God, coming to us in the closest,
possible way.  He becomes human, becoming the perfect human being, sinless and
perfect, to save us from our sins and defects.  He comes to live within our
hearts through His Gospel message, the preached Word.  He enters our bodies
through His Supper, giving us the holiness and life that He brought into the
world by His incarnation.

Conclusion
And now, we look forward to His return on the Last Day, when this wonderful
salvation will be visible for all to see.  On that Day, the Son, who became
human by the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, will arrive on the clouds.  Then,
we will arrive in eternity wearing the robe of a sinless, perfect human flesh,
reunited to our souls, into God’s rule and reign of everlasting life.  Amen.

--
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg
Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus,
His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given
and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and
spirit.