*Scripture: Ezekiel 36:13-28 (NKJV)*

13 "'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because they say to you, 'You devour men and
bereave your nation of children,' 14 therefore you shall devour men no
more, nor bereave your nation anymore," says the Lord GOD. 15 "Nor will I
let you hear the taunts of the nations anymore, nor bear the reproach of
the peoples anymore, nor shall you cause your nation to stumble anymore,"
says the Lord GOD.'"

16 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 17 "Son of man, when
the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their own
ways and deeds; to Me their way was like the uncleanness of a woman in her
customary impurity. 18 Therefore I poured out My fury on them for the blood
they had shed on the land, and for their idols with which they had defiled
it. 19 So I scattered them among the nations, and they were dispersed
throughout the countries; I judged them according to their ways and their
deeds. 20 When they came to the nations, wherever they went, they profaned
My holy name—when they said of them, 'These are the people of the LORD, and
yet they have gone out of His land.' 21 But I had concern for My holy name,
which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations wherever they
went.

22 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "I do
not do this for your sake, O house of Israel, but for My holy name's sake,
which you have profaned among the nations wherever you went. 23 And I will
sanctify My great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which
you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the
LORD," says the Lord GOD, "when I am hallowed in you before their eyes. 24
For I will take you from among the nations, gather you out of all
countries, and bring you into your own land. 25 Then I will sprinkle clean
water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your
filthiness and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put
a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh
and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause
you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them. 28
Then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; you shall be
My people, and I will be your God."'"

*Devotion*

We hear the Lord's ringing indictment of Israel, and we know that we stand
guilty just as they. We have not valued our neighbors' lives as we ought,
much less valued God's honor as their Creator. The heathen speak evil of
our God because of us, because we have profaned His name.

We see so many churches that claim to follow Christ, but do nothing of the
kind. We wonder how we might stop them…or at least stop them from claiming
to be "Christian" and "Lutheran." Yet, their profaning of the name of the
holy Triune God will continue as long as ours does, and we will profane His
name until we are removed from this vale of tears and stand finally sinless
before Him in Heaven.

What are we to do then, give up? Certainly not, but understand that we are
profaners and hallowers of God's holy Name at the same time. Because the
only one to hallow God's Name did His fulfilling of all righteousness in
our place, we may confess our failure to hallow His Name. Likewise, we are
made able to trust in the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus on the Cross and the
promise of forgiveness attached to it. In so trusting, in confessing and
being absolved, we are returned to what He gave us in Holy Baptism, to the
new heart and spirit that He gave us in places of our hearts of stone.

Our flesh often does not display our re-creation in Christ, but such is not
our assurance. Our assurance is in Christ Jesus, in Whom we are clean and
by Whom the true God is our God.