*Scripture: Zechariah 1:1-21 (NKJV)*
1 In the eighth month of the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD
came to Zechariah the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet,
saying, 2 "The LORD has been very angry with your fathers. 3 Therefore say
to them, 'Thus says the LORD of hosts: "Return to Me," says the LORD of
hosts, "and I will return to you," says the LORD of hosts. 4 "Do not be
like your fathers, to whom the former prophets preached, saying, 'Thus says
the LORD of hosts: "Turn now from your evil ways and your evil deeds."' But
they did not hear nor heed Me," says the LORD. 5 "Your fathers, where are
they? And the prophets, do they live forever? 6 Yet surely My words and My
statutes, which I commanded My servants the prophets, did they not overtake
your fathers? So they returned and said: 'Just as the LORD of hosts
determined to do to us, according to our ways and according to our deeds,
so He has dealt with us.'"'"

7 On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, which is the month
Shebat, in the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came to
Zechariah the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet: 8 I saw by
night, and behold, a man riding on a red horse, and it stood among the
myrtle trees in the hollow; and behind him were horses: red, sorrel, and
white. 9 Then I said, "My lord, what are these?" So the angel who talked
with me said to me, "I will show you what they are." 10 And the man who
stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, "These are the ones whom
the LORD has sent to walk to and fro throughout the earth." 11 So they
answered the Angel of the LORD, who stood among the myrtle trees, and said,
"We have walked to and fro throughout the earth, and behold, all the earth
is resting quietly." 12 Then the Angel of the LORD answered and said, "O
LORD of hosts, how long will You not have mercy on Jerusalem and on the
cities of Judah, against which You were angry these seventy years?" 13 And
the LORD answered the angel who talked to me, with good and comforting
words. 14 So the angel who spoke with me said to me, "Proclaim, saying,
'Thus says the LORD of hosts: "I am zealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with
great zeal. 15 I am exceedingly angry with the nations at ease; For I was a
little angry, and they helped—but with evil intent." 16 'Therefore thus
says the LORD: "I am returning to Jerusalem with mercy; My house shall be
built in it," says the LORD of hosts, "And a surveyor's line shall be
stretched out over Jerusalem."' 17 Again proclaim, saying, 'Thus says the
LORD of hosts: "My cities shall again spread out through prosperity; The
LORD will again comfort Zion, and will again choose Jerusalem."'"

18 Then I raised my eyes and looked, and there were four horns. 19 And I
said to the angel who talked with me, "What are these?" So he answered me,
"These are the horns that have scattered Judah, Israel, and Jerusalem." 20
Then the LORD showed me four craftsmen. 21 And I said, "What are these
coming to do?" So he said, "These are the horns that scattered Judah, so
that no one could lift up his head; but the craftsmen are coming to terrify
them, to cast out the horns of the nations that lifted up their horn
against the land of Judah to scatter it."

*Devotion*

Zechariah and Haggai were both prophets sent to God's people in the time
immediately following their return from the Babylonian captivity. The word
of the Lord came to Haggai in the sixth month of the second year of Darius'
rule, and it came to Zechariah two months later. Both prophets were sent
with a call to repentance, and both were also sent to encourage a
demoralized nation that had seen the glory of Solomon's temple swept away.

Even though the people had only recently returned from their time of exile,
nevertheless it was necessary that the Lord call to mind again why the
Babylonian captivity had transpired: "The Lord has been very angry with
your fathers. Therefore say to them, 'Thus says the Lord of hosts: "Return
to Me," says the Lord of hosts, "and I will return to you," says the Lord
of hosts. "Do not be like your fathers, to whom the former prophets
preached, saying, 'Thus says the Lord of hosts: "Turn now from your evil
ways and your evil deeds."' But they did not hear nor heed Me," says the
Lord.

St. Paul teaches the Church in 1 Corinthians 10:11 to receive the history
of God's people as an admonition to repentance and faith: "Now all these
things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our
admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come." So, too, the words
of comfort and consolation that the Lord gave to His repentant people in
ages past speak peace to us, for the Lord does not change, and His mercies
endure forever.