Note: For this sermon, the Old Testament is Leviticus 12:1-8, which deals with
the purification of a woman after giving birth in the Old Covenant.

Intro
We have no idea how badly Adam’s Fall into sin has ruined our world.  Oh, we
know that death is the result of that Fall into sin.  We understand that
sickness, frailty, and aging are also the continuing aftershocks of cataclysmic
event.  Yet, we have no comparison to understand from what great depths of
perfection we fell.  For all we know is our fallen reality.  The only lingering
echo still within us from the Garden of Eden is a visceral, preexistent feeling
that death is somehow wrong.

And so we can never fully understand the depth of the catastrophe that Adam
unleashed on the world.  From our first parent, we inherit an impure, stained
human nature.  It’s an inborn bias that skews each of us down the wrong path,
which heaps the mountains of sins we commit on top of the inherited sin we
already have.  If we understood how this inherited sin has warped our nature,
we would not only weep and shudder at our sin, but we’d bring our babies to the
baptismal font without delay.

Main Body
This inability to understand the depth of our inherited depravity causes us to
shake our heads at some of God’s mandated rituals in the Old Covenant.  For
example, why would Mary, the mother of Jesus, need to go to the Temple to be
purified 40 days after giving birth?  Giving birth is something beautiful!
Children are a blessing from God.  Why then should she need to be purified?

It goes all the way back to our Fall into sin.  The pain and blood loss a woman
endures in childbirth are a result of that Fall, and so testifies to our Fall
into sin.  God did not originally create women to give birth in pain and blood
loss.  Yet, not only did Adam fall into sin, but so did Eve.  And so from Eve
onward, the blood loss in childbirth is a real-life, pain-filled proclamation
that the curse of sin is still with us.

And so Mary, with all the women in the Old Covenant, offered a sacrifice
because of the curse of sin.  We heard about that sacrifice in our
Old-Testament reading for today.  Yet, that sacrifice that Mary brought didn’t
just confess our Fall into sin.  No, it also was a sacrifice pointing forward
to THE sacrifice that would take care of our sin problem, now and forever!  So,
there is some irony when Mary comes to offer her sacrifice, for in her arms is
the fulfillment of the sacrifice that she brings to the Temple.

But more took place than God purifying Mary through the sacrifice she brought
to the Temple.  Mary also brought her Son to present Him to God.  In the Old
Covenant, all mothers were to present their firstborn sons to God.  That
started after God delivered His people from their slavery in Egypt.  For the
firstborn sons belonged to the Lord, for He spared their lives from the 10th
plague when death passed over the land.

God even told Moses to turn that presenting, or consecrating, of the firstborn
son into a teaching moment.  This was so they would learn who their God was and
who they were as His people.  Exodus 13:14-15 reads:

“In the future, when your son asks you, ‘What does this mean?’ say to him,
‘With a mighty hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, from the land of slavery.
 When Pharaoh was too stubborn to let us go, the LORD killed every firstborn
male in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of man to the firstborn of
livestock.  That is why we sacrifice every firstborn male of the womb to the
LORD and buy every firstborn son back from the LORD.’”

What we just heard, at first, sounds a bit confusing.  But what took place was
an exchange.  The mother ritually presented her firstborn son back to God.  God
then would ritually redeem the son, sparing his life, as God first did when
delivered His people from the land of Egypt.

And so we find that presentation ritual also pointed forward and back.  It
pointed back to God’s rescue of Israel’s firstborn sons, whom He had spared.
But it also pointed forward to the firstborn Son whom God would not spare, so
He might spare and redeem all humanity.

So it was an astounding, earth-shattering, heaven-affecting event when Mary and
Joseph walked into the Temple with their baby bay.  To ordinary, human eyes, it
looked like nothing special was happening.  After all, their baby looked like
an ordinary Jewish boy, whom they were presenting like all firstborn sons.
Yet, by Jesus going through that God-mandated ritual, He was fulfilling the Law
for us and our salvation.

Although almost everyone in the Temple just saw an ordinary Jewish boy going
through the presentation ritual, in our Gospel reading for today, we heard
about one who didn’t.  He was an older believer, who was awaiting the
long-promised Messiah.  Through the eyes of faith, he saw the Messiah Himself,
when everyone else just saw a babe in the arms of His mother.  That senior
citizen of Israel watched and waited, representing all of Old-Covenant Israel.

The Holy Spirit caused the pin to drop, the ice to break, and the lights to go
on for that pious senior citizen, who probably never meant much to the priests
and other passersby in the Temple.  Through Simeon, this awesome knowledge
about the Messiah couldn’t remain secret, even amid all the hustle and bustle
of the Temple on that seemingly ordinary day.  On that day, a meeting, a coming
together, took place between God-in-the-flesh, on one hand, and Simeon, on the
other.

Simeon, was a faithful man, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, the
Messenger of the covenant.  Simeon was there because the Holy Spirit revealed
to him that he would not die before he had seen the promised Messiah.  And so
Simeon waited.

Then one day, as Simeon waited at the Temple, he saw the Messiah for which he
had yearned.  By the Spirit, he then knew what the angels did: The Baby in
Mary's arms is God in the flesh, his salvation and eternal hope, and is the end
of his sorrow and waiting.  He takes Jesus into His arms and sings a prayer of
praise to God.

Simeon prayed: “Now, Lord, allow your servant to go in peace according to your
word.  For my eyes have seen Your salvation, which you have prepared in the
presence of all peoples: A light that will reveal salvation to the nations and
bring glory to your people Israel.”

You’ve already stepped into Simeon’s shoes many times as you’ve sung his Nunc
Dimittis at the end of the Communion liturgy.  You sing it with Simeon after
you receive the Body and Blood of the promised Messiah.  For what you receive
in His Supper is as genuine a presence as when Simeon held that sacred Baby in
his arms.  You pray with Simeon, “Now, Lord, allow your servant to go in peace
according to your word.”  I can die now, in peace.  That’s what it means.
Simeon was waiting to die.

Then Simeon spoke, that aged man who spoke with the wisdom of the ages.  He
said to Mary, “Indeed, this child is destined to cause the falling and rising
of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be rejected, so that the inner
thoughts of many will be revealed.  And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

The cross looms large in Simeon’s words.  This Child, whom Simeon embraced, of
whom the prophets spoke, would be rejected by Israel.  His coming would
precipitate a crisis of faith and unbelief, of rising to faith in Him or
falling in unbelief against Him.  Even more, Mary would live to see her Son
crucified.  She would stand at the foot of the cross and watch her firstborn
die.  The sword of grief would pierce her soul.

And so we learn that the Child at the Temple was born with blood on His hands.
But it was not His blood.  It was the blood of our sin, our rebellion against
God, our atheism, and our rejection.  That cute, 40-day old infant is a warrior
destined to do battle with the darkness, the devil and his demons, and with
Death itself.

The work of redemption that Simeon prophesies is bloody work.  For it isn’t
with unbloody gold or silver that God redeems and reconciles us from sin,
death, and the Law.  That would be a tidy transaction.  That’s what we would
like--something neat, clean, and tidy.  But, instead, it’s Christ’s holy,
precious blood, and His innocent suffering and death that redeem us.  That was
what Simeon saw as Mary beheld her Son on the cross, as the Lamb of God who
takes away the sin of the world.  “And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

The best way for us to keep today’s feast is to realize how much we need
purification.  The almighty God wants to purify us and admit us into His
presence by bringing us together to meet with Jesus, our Lord.  Now, the Temple
is here, not in Jerusalem.  Today, we do not receive Jesus in our arms as
Simeon did; instead, we receive Him in our mouths.  What Mary carried in her
womb and Simeon held in his arms, we receive in our mouths as we meet our
Savior and Lord in Holy Communion.

Conclusion
Today, we receive the Christ-Child in Word and Sacrament.  And after receiving
Him, like Simeon, we, too, are prepared for whatever the future may hold.  For
this Child of Mary, this Baby at the Temple is our future.  He is Israel’s
glory, our Light and our Life.

So, come now to receive Him.  Come now to receive the One who prepares you for
death, all so you may have eternal life.  Amen.

 --
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg
Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus,
His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given
and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and
spirit.