*Scripture: Job 13:13-28 (NKJV)*

13 "Hold your peace with me, and let me speak, then let come on me what
may! 14 Why do I take my flesh in my teeth, and put my life in my hands? 15
Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways
before Him. 16 He also shall be my salvation, for a hypocrite could not
come before Him. 17 Listen carefully to my speech, and to my declaration
with your ears. 18 See now, I have prepared my case, I know that I shall be
vindicated. 19 Who is he who will contend with me? If now I hold my tongue,
I perish.

20 "Only two things do not do to me, then I will not hide myself from You:
21 Withdraw Your hand far from me, and let not the dread of You make me
afraid. 22 Then call, and I will answer; Or let me speak, then You respond
to me. 23 How many are my iniquities and sins? Make me know my
transgression and my sin. 24 Why do You hide Your face, and regard me as
Your enemy? 25 Will You frighten a leaf driven to and fro? And will You
pursue dry stubble? 26 For You write bitter things against me, and make me
inherit the iniquities of my youth. 27 You put my feet in the stocks, and
watch closely all my paths. You set a limit for the soles of my feet.

28 "Man decays like a rotten thing, like a garment that is moth-eaten."

*Devotion*

You do not have to know the reasons why God allows suffering, but that does
not mean you cannot seek an answer from God. Job does. He asks, not in
unbelief, but in trust. He asks, not in defiance, but in confusion. "Though
He slay me, yet will I trust Him." He assumes that God has a reason, so he
is bold to pursue the answer, trusting that, even now, God will permit the
question.

Job is not aware of any specific sin for which he is being punished, but he
does not therefore insist that he is innocent. He pleads with God, "Make me
know my transgression and my sin." Or maybe he is not suffering for a
specific sin. Why, then? He yearns for an explanation, but receives none.
So he asks, "Why do You hide Your face, and regard me as Your enemy?" It
does not seem right to Job that God is spending so much time on him, making
sure he suffers for whatever he is suffering for. Is he really worth so
much trouble?

These are reasonable questions--questions that the saints often ask in the
inspired Psalms. This assures us that God permits such questions from His
children. He encourages us to seek answers for the suffering in our life,
as long as we seek them from Him and His Word. It is the devil who tempts
us to look elsewhere, to produce answers from our own imagination or to
stop seeking God altogether, assuming Him to be too cruel to care. But He
does care. His Word reveals it. It is okay to ask your loving Father, "Why?"