Intro
Picture a rod of iron; it’s cold and black.  Yet, when the iron rod rests
within an intensely hot flame, it also becomes hot and glows with light.  Yet,
the heat and light that radiate from the iron rod are not a reflection of the
fire.  They are, instead, part of the properties of fire revealing itself
through the iron rod.   Through its union with fire, the qualities of fire make
themselves known through the iron.

And so fire and iron help us to understand, in some small way, the mystery of
Jesus’ transfiguration.  For the glory of God that shone through Jesus that day
was not something that reflected off Him.  It came from within Jesus Himself.
As heat and light display themselves through iron that is united to fire, so
also did God’s brilliant glory emanate from, and display itself through, the
flesh of Jesus.

Main Body
Listen again to how St. Matthew described it.  “His face,” which refers to His
humanity, “shone like the sun,” which refers to Jesus’ Divinity.  “His
clothes,” which were covering a body of flesh, “became as white as the light,”
which is the glory of God.

What we heard today testifies to the truth of Christmas.  “The Word became
flesh,” the Apostle John says (John 1:14).  “In Christ, all the fullness of
God’s nature lives in him,” is how the Apostle Paul puts it (Colossians 2:9).
And the Small Catechism explains it through these words: “He is true God, born
of the Father in eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary.”
Because of that, Jesus could reveal some of the glory of God through His human
flesh.

That’s why we can say--even boldly confess--that in Jesus Christ, God suffered,
God shed his Blood, and that even God died.  That’s what each Christian is to
believe.  That’s what each Christian is to confess, as he is able.  That’s also
what the Apostle Paul told the pastors at Ephesus, when he told them “to
shepherd the Church of God, which he [that is, God] purchased with his own
Blood” (Acts 20:28).

And it had to be that way--if Jesus’ death was going to save us!  For if Jesus
were only a man and lived a perfect, sinless life, He would have only saved
Himself.  However, because Jesus was both God and man, he could do more than
live the perfect life.  He could also take all our sins into Himself, and then
die our death.  And even more, because Jesus is also God, His perfect life and
death could save the entire world!  His death is then credited to us for our
life.

And so I ask you this question.  On which mountain did God’s glory shine most
brilliantly?  Was it on the Mount of Transfiguration?  Or was it on the mount
just outside of Jerusalem, called Golgotha, where Jesus’ beaten and bloody
body, nailed to a cross, slowly and painfully died in darkness?  The answer is
Golgotha!  For Christ’s death, because it was God’s death, fully brought about
the salvation of the world, made necessary because of our Fall into sin.

Jesus’ true glory came through the cross.  And because we are members of His
spiritual body, the Church, through the Word attached to the waters of holy
baptism, His death and resurrection become ours.  Glory comes to us only
through the cross.

Moses and Elijah, with whom Jesus spoke, clearly show this to be.  What did
they look like on the Mount of Transfiguration?  Their bodies glowed with God’s
glory.  However, their bodies were not the source of God’s glory but reflected
it.

But it wasn’t always that way.  The earthly lives of those prophets of God were
full of crosses.  Moses’ mother, Jochebed, had to abandon baby Moses in the
Nile, so he could live.  Later, as an adult, fleeing Egypt, threatened by
Pharaoh, Moses returned to be God’s instrument of liberation for the
Israelites.  Yet, he had to spend the last 40 years of his life leading a
stubborn, stiff-necked people through a barren and hostile wilderness.

For Elijah it wasn’t any easier.  He had to battle King Ahab and his
Baal-worshipping wife, Jezebel, and then even flee to Horeb to save his life.
His crosses had so discouraged him that he once begged God to take his life.

But now look at them!  The crosses are gone.  Bliss and glory have replaced
their crosses.  For on the Mount of Transfiguration, Peter, James, and John get
a preview, a glimpse of what awaits them on the Last Day.  They see that Christ
has transformed Moses’ and Elijah’s lowly bodies, so their bodies are now like
His glorious body.  And Jesus will do the same for you.

But first, we are to carry the crosses that we receive as His disciples.  But
that’s the problem, for we don’t want to wait.  We want the glory now.  We want
all our crosses to flee far away from us.  In that way, we’re a lot like Peter.

Peter foolishly suggested to Jesus: “Lord, it’s good that we’re here.  If you
want, I’ll put up three tents: One for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah”
(Matthew 17:4).  Peter wanted Jesus to bypass the shame and humility of the
cross, so he could, as well.  And how do we know that?  In the verses right
before our Gospel reading for today, Jesus told His disciples, “If anyone wants
to come with me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.  For
whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because
of me will find it” (Matthew 16:24-25).

So Peter, wanting to avoid the crosses awaiting him, but also excited by
experiencing some of God’s glory, doesn’t want to leave the mountain top.  Yet,
we find a few moments later, when Peter experienced more of God’s glory, when
the bright cloud of God’s glory enveloped him, he fell to the ground terrified.
 So also did James and John.

But why should they shake with fear when the cloud of God’s glory surrounds
them?  Why weren’t they trembling earlier?  Jesus was shining like the sun.
His clothes were as white as uncreated light.  Both Moses and Elijah were
standing next to Him in the air.  That should’ve been enough for the disciples
to quake in holy awe, but it wasn’t.

When God reveals Himself in His glory, it’s not safe to be around--not if
you’re a sinner!  In the book of Exodus, the Lord told Moses to keep the people
from coming up Mt. Sinai.  For them even to come part way up the mountain, they
needed to be covered with blood.  For sin had ripped them apart from God, and
it was only by death that they could safely again be brought together.

At Sinai, before God gave the Ten Commandments, the elders of Israel could
approach the Lord only after the shed blood for their sins was dripping from
their beards.  The Lord received the blood as an atonement for their sins.  And
so the Lord didn’t raise His hand against the Israelites.  They saw God, and
they ate and drank.

Jesus has wrapped Himself in human flesh.  He has taken human nature into
Himself.  That’s why Jesus can allow some of His glory to shine through His
humanity without destroying His closest friends.  Although He shines like the
sun, His light does not beat down on them.  Peter, James, and John are not set
ablaze like the stubble that they are.  Because of the Lord’s mercy, they see
God and live.

Yet, Peter knows, because of his sinfulness, that someone cannot see God and
live.  And so he trembles in fear, because he knows that sin has tainted and
infected him, and before Him blazes the glory of God.

And so Jesus came and touched His disciples and said, “Get up; don’t be afraid”
(Matthew 17:7).  And the word coming from the Word, Jesus, does what it says.
Their fear is calmed and they are resting in Jesus’ peace.  Jesus has done what
was needed.

Yet, let us think further on the implications of what Peter wanted.  If Jesus
had stayed on the mountain, then there would’ve been no crucifixion in
Jerusalem.  And if Jesus bypassed the crucifixion, we would have no life or
salvation.

So, Jesus ignores Peter.  And when Peter, James, and John then look, Moses and
Elijah are gone.  Jesus now turns His face toward Jerusalem.  There, He will
go.  There, He will suffer.  And there, He will die.

Although Peter wants mercy for Jesus on the cross, Jesus will find no mercy
there.  The Father will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will scatter.  Jesus
will drink in the full cup of God’s wrath.  Mercy for Jesus would mean an
eternal hell for all the Peters of the world, even for you and me.  And so
Jesus turned His face toward Jerusalem.

When Jesus didn’t let Peter have his way to bypass the cross, we learn just how
important God’s death in Christ Jesus is!  His death means that we don’t have
to fear God’s wrath, as Peter did on the Mount of Transfiguration.  For Jesus
has taken in God’s wrath, and, in its place, has forgiven us our sins.  That
means we are now recipients of His mercy, grace, and love.

What else does Jesus’ cross of death mean for us?  It means that even the
crosses that come into our lives will, in the end, turn out for our good.  And
so the death of our God, in the end, means that we don’t even have to fear our
own death, as Peter did when he denied his Lord three times.  As Jesus died and
rose to glory, so also will you die and rise to life eternal.  It’s as sure and
certain as Jesus’ own death and resurrection.

Conclusion
And as the flesh-and-blood Jesus came to His disciples and touched them to give
them His peace, so also does He come to you.  Your flesh-and-blood Savior will
also come and touch you.  In His Supper, His body and blood will touch your
lips and go into your body to nourish you with life, salvation, and the
forgiveness of sins.  Even now, even today, Jesus still comes in the flesh to
redeem those in the flesh.  So, come now to receive Him and His life and
salvation for you.  Amen.

 --
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg
Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus,
His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given
and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and
spirit.