*Scripture: Job 36:1-21 (NKJV)*

1 Elihu also proceeded and said: 2 "Bear with me a little, and I will show
you that there are yet words to speak on God's behalf. 3 I will fetch my
knowledge from afar; I will ascribe righteousness to my Maker. 4 For truly
my words are not false; One who is perfect in knowledge is with you. 5
Behold, God is mighty, but despises no one; He is mighty in strength of
understanding. 6 He does not preserve the life of the wicked, but gives
justice to the oppressed. 7 He does not withdraw His eyes from the
righteous; But they are on the throne with kings, for He has seated them
forever, and they are exalted. 8 And if they are bound in fetters, held in
the cords of affliction, 9 then He tells them their work and their
transgressions--that they have acted defiantly. 10 He also opens their ear
to instruction, and commands that they turn from iniquity. 11 If they obey
and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years
in pleasures. 12 But if they do not obey, they shall perish by the sword,
and they shall die without knowledge.

13 "But the hypocrites in heart store up wrath; They do not cry for help
when He binds them. 14 They die in youth, and their life ends among the
perverted persons. 15 He delivers the poor in their affliction, and opens
their ears in oppression. 16 Indeed He would have brought you out of dire
distress, into a broad place where there is no restraint; And what is set
on your table would be full of richness. 17 But you are filled with the
judgment due the wicked; Judgment and justice take hold of you. 18 Because
there is wrath, beware lest He take you away with one blow; For a large
ransom would not help you avoid it. 19 Will your riches, or all the mighty
forces, keep you from distress? 20 Do not desire the night, when people are
cut off in their place. 21 Take heed, do not turn to iniquity, for you have
chosen this rather than affliction."

*Devotion*

Elihu remains the voice of a "prosperity gospel," which says, "Do good and
God will do good to you." The voice of Elihu condemns us when we suffer any
sort of affliction in this life. "If you are suffering, what have you done
to deserve such wrath?" The idea of what Elihu says today is that one
suffers as punishment for one's sin, but when one turns from sin, the Lord
will stop punishing. However, this is not the true gospel.

The Scriptures teach us instead that suffering is part of the life of the
baptized. If you are in Christ, you will suffer, because Christ your Lord
suffered while in the flesh. Your suffering is not to atone for your own
sins. Your sins have been atoned for in Christ's death, and that atonement
is given to you by faith, which is itself a gift of God. Rather, your
suffering is part your heavenly Father's good will to conform you into the
image of His Only-Begotten Son. St. Peter says, "Rejoice to the extent that
you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you
may also be glad with exceeding joy." (1 Peter 4:13) St. Paul tells you
that, "as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of
the consolation." (2 Corinthians 1:7)