"Christian Vocation: Husbands and Wives"
Midweek in Lent1
March 12, 2014
1Peter 3:7; Colossians 3:19; Ephesians 5:22; 1Peter 3:5-6

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives,
and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with
you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your
prayers. 1Peter 3:7

Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. Colossians 3:19

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. Ephesians 5:22

They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed
Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do
what is right and do not give way to fear. 1Peter 3:5-6

Our first midweek look at Christian vocation took a bird's eye view.
What is vocation? It is the calling God gives each of us to serve Him.
The very practical nature of that serving is in serving others. Thus,
vocation is lived out in many ways as we serve others in many
vocations. In starting out, we saw how Christian vocation in a broad
sense is that of being a hearer of the Word of God. He speaks, we
listen. He gives, we receive. What got Adam and Eve into trouble was
that they stopped carrying out this primary vocation God had given to
them. This evening, as we begin to look at specific vocations, we will
do so under the umbrella of that first vocation, being a hearer and a
receiver of God's Word and all His blessings.

We start, then, with husbands and wives. When God created Adam He
said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make him a
companion, one who is comparable to him; one who will complement
him"--and that is complement in the sense of making him complete, as
opposed to giving him compliments (although, those are nice too). From
the beginning, God saw that His calling to Adam and Eve would be
carried out in a blessed way when they were given the calling to love
each other and serve each other.

This is what He created in marriage. And it is the vocation we unpack
tonight. Marriage is only truly understood and fully lived out when it
is seen from God's creating us and loving us and giving us each other
to love. All relationships in life come from that one that God first
brought about when He gave Eve to Adam. Whether you as a Christian are
a husband or wife or are not, the Bible's instruction to husbands and
wives impacts all of us. Obviously, husbands and wives are enriched in
their marriage when they take to heart God's will for them in
marriage.

But when you hear how Paul speaks of marriage in the first reading
this evening you see that there is a whole lot more to marriage than
just the love between a husband and wife. There is the image of the
greatest marriage of all, that between our Lord and His Bride. The
marriage of Jesus and His Holy Christian Church. All instructions
given to husbands and wives no longer sound like instructions when we
realize that Christ loves His Bride. He gives His life for His Bride.
He clothes His Bride in the most beautiful wedding dress, His own
righteousness and glory. He loves His Bride as if she were the most
immaculate creature on earth. He places her in front of Himself.

This is how husbands and wives are able to love each other. How they
are able to submit to one another, how they are able to forgive each
other, how they are able to treat each other not so much as they would
wish to be treated, but as Christ has loved His own bride. As I always
tell those who preparing to get married, when you are married and
forgiving each other, remember that it's not just the two of you, but
Christ at the center of your marriage, always forgiving you, always
giving you the forgiveness you need in order to forgive your spouse.

The Sixth Commandment--you shall not commit adultery--teaches us that
we, and that we is all of us, "should fear and love God so that we
lead a sexually pure and decent life in what we say and do, and
husband and wife love and honor each other." Whether married or not,
we Christians ought to live and think in such a way that honors God's
institution of marriage. For those who aren't married, pray for those
who are. For those who are, pray that you love your spouse in this
most godly way, loving and honoring him or her.

The New Testament gives specific instruction to husbands and wives in
loving and honoring each other. From 1Peter 3, "Husbands, in the same
way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with
respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious
gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers." And from
Colossians 3, "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with
them." And speaking to wives, from Ephesians 5, "Wives, submit to your
husbands as to the Lord." And from 1Peter 3, "They were submissive to
their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her
master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give
way to fear."

One other thing I tell couples in pre-marriage counseling is that
words like these often don't sit well with 21st century Americans.
Words like submitting and obedience and the weaker partner smack of
sexism and male chauvinism. To a degree this is understandable,
because as with all cultures and all times, we in America today are in
a specific culture of a specific time. Things are a lot different here
and today than they were two thousand years ago in Palestine. We would
do well to hear the words of instructions in the Bible to husbands and
wives not only as the Word of God but also with the understanding that
we are hearing them very differently from how God's people two
thousand years ago heard them.

In our culture we value independence and individualism. We value
equality when it comes to men and women filling roles in society. Two
thousand years ago these were not cultural values and so our values
today would have been foreign to them. Having this understanding is
helpful in seeing that the New Testament writers were not being sexist
or chauvinistic. What they were doing was laying out instructions that
are to God's people of all times and all places. The way God sees us
is not culturally bound or bound by time. Thankfully, He loves us
eternally, and that is why He has given us His Son.

So the way we ought to understand these instructions is through the
way God sees us and loves us. Thus, when husbands are called by God to
be considerate of their wives as they live with them, treating them
with respect as the weaker partner, this is the kind of love a husband
is to exhibit to his wife in the way Christ loves His Bride, the
Church. We, as the Bride of Christ, are the 'weaker vessel,' and yet
are esteemed by our Husband, our Lord Jesus Christ. A husband is to
protect his wife, and take care of her, love her.

Likewise, when wives are called upon by God to submit to their
husbands as to the Lord, this is the kind of love a wife is to exhibit
to her husband in the way we, the Bride of Christ, love our
Bridegroom, our Lord Himself. When it comes to submitting to our
Husband, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, there is no question that
this is what we ought to do, and there is no question that this is
what is best for us. The key in it is that our Bridegroom, Jesus,
loves us and gives Himself up for us. How would we not want to submit
to Him when He loves us in such a way?

So, as Peter says, the holy women of old "were submissive to their own
husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master.
You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to
fear." Here again you have this beautiful picture of Christ and His
Church, Christ and His beloved Bride. Our Lord is our redeemer. He
protects us by saving us and giving us all his love and glory. In this
way, then, we, His Bride, submit to Him, obey Him, and call Him Lord.
The statement of Peter that Sarah called her husband Abraham "Lord" is
striking because our culture is so very different from that kind of
thinking. Sarah rejoiced that God had given her a husband to love her,
protect her, and cherish her. In the same way, then, wives, ought to
submit to their husbands.

There's one other point that needs to be made and that is, while
cultures and times may change, our sinful nature does not. We have
inherited sin from our parents Adam and Eve. We are born in sin. As
Christian husbands, we do not love our wives as we ought, even as Adam
didn't love Eve as God had called him to. Christian wives do not love
their husbands as they have been called to by God. This is one more
reason these words of the Scriptures are so difficult to carry out.
Our own sinful nature is kicking and screaming against the kind of
love these passages are calling husbands and wives to.

Thus, the utmost importance of husband and wife loving each other
under the cross. A husband is first and foremost a redeemed child of
God, loved by Him in His Son Jesus Christ. A wife is above all a
daughter of the Most High God, loved by Him in His dear Son. Christian
husbands and wives are the Bride of Christ before they are ever joined
in one flesh to each other as husband and wife. The true beauty of
Christian marriage is loving each other as each has been loved by
Christ. Submitting to one another as Christ submitted Himself to us,
loving us beyond compare, will put everything else in the perspective
that loving in the way these passages call us to is the most natural
thing in the world. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]