*Scripture: Genesis 22:1-19 (NKJV)*

Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to
him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." 2 Then He said, "Take now your
son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and
offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I
shall tell you." 3 So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his
donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he
split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of
which God had told him.

4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off.
5 And Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the donkey; the lad
and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you." 6 So
Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son;
and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went
together. 7 But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, "My father!"
And he said, "Here I am, my son." Then he said, "Look, the fire and the
wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" 8 And Abraham said, "My
son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering." So the
two of them went together.

9 Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built
an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and
laid him on the altar, upon the wood. 10 And Abraham stretched out his hand
and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the Angel of the LORD called to
him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" So he said, "Here I am." 12
And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for
now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your
only son, from Me." 13 Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there
behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and
took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son. 14
And Abraham called the name of the place, The-LORD-Will-Provide; as it is
said to this day, "In the Mount of the LORD it shall be provided."

Then the Angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time out of heaven,
16 and said: "By Myself I have sworn, says the LORD, because you have done
this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son--17 blessing I
will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the
stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your
descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies. 18 In your seed all
the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My
voice." 19 So Abraham returned to his young men, and they rose and went
together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.

*Devotion*

As difficult as it must have been to carry out the exile of Ishmael,
Abraham now faces a much sterner test. Now God was asking him to give up
his long-awaited son. This was no exile in the wilderness, it was to be a
sacrifice of Isaac's very life.

To further complicate matters, Isaac was not only Abraham and Sarah's
promised son, he was the son of the Promise. Through his line the Messiah
would come. God seemed to be breaking His own promise. And it was not just
any promise, but the most important one of all. How could this possibly
turn out well?

Nevertheless, Abraham was given the faith to carry out God's command. We
are given insight into his trust in the book of Hebrews. "By faith Abraham,
when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises
offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, 'In Isaac your seed
shall be called,' concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from
the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense." (Heb.
11:17-19)

With Abraham now fully committed to the task, God rescues Abraham and Isaac
before the climactic act. The substitution of the ram will spare the life
of the son. But there will come another time, another climactic act, where
God will not spare the Son, but give Him up as a ransom for all. In giving
up His Son, the Father will show His unconditional love for all men. Behold
the real Lamb of God, Who takes away the sin of the world.