The Sixth Sunday after Easter
Your Word is a Lamp to My Feet and a Light to My Path
Christ is risen! (He is risen, indeed!) Alleluia! Grace, mercy and peace to you
from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen. In today’s Introit Psalm
we prayed twice to God, “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my
path.”
Dear Christian friends,
Every once in a while, God our heavenly Father graciously allows certain things
to happen in His Church. When these things happen—through such happenings—our
heavenly Father lovingly forces us to re-think the way we have always done
things. That is, God occasionally moves us to change the way we practice His
gift of faith.
Here is an example changed practice: Christ is risen! (He is risen, indeed!)
Alleluia! After our Lord’s resurrection, some things immediately needed to
change in the Church. Circumcision needed to stop because it had become an
empty, worn-out rite. Christian worship moved from Saturday to Sunday, in honor
of the resurrection. Believers no longer offered blood sacrifices because
Christ is the Last Sacrifice, the One Sacrifice for all time and for all sins
(e.g., Hebrews 10:4, 10). These changes may seem inconsequential to us today,
but that is because someone else had to go through them. It was monumental
stuff for Christians in that day.
Similar changes in practice were needed in the Reformation. For example, there
was a time when God’s Christians only received the body of our Lord in Holy
Communion. The cup was for the priest. But Jesus says both “take and eat” AND
“take and drink.” Therefore a change in practice was needed. And it was hard.
And in some places the change took a very long time to effect.
If you want to hear about an important change that took place a closer to home,
you should ask Walter about the change from German to English in our worship
and our confirmation instruction.
Whenever we contemplate change in the church, we must be careful to distinguish
between teaching and practice. Why? Because our teaching must not change. Our
teaching must remain unchangingly faithful to the Scriptures of God, no matter
what happens or who should protest. Why must our faithful teaching of the
Scriptures never change? Because any change in our teaching—that is, any
departure from the Words of God—will create a grave risk and danger among us.
Here are just two examples: It is taught among us
•       That Christ Jesus died for the forgiveness of your sins. All your sins
are eternally forgiven on account of Jesus’ blood and righteousness. Why would
anyone wish to change such blessed teaching? If we should change our teaching
about forgiveness, we would be throwing away God’s good and gracious gift of
forgiveness. Heavenly Father, spare us from such tragedy!
•       That the Holy Communion IS the body and blood of Jesus, given and shed
for you for your forgiveness and life. This teaching cannot and must not
change! If we should teach that the bread and wine are bread and wine only, and
NOT the blood of Christ, we would sin grievously against the Christ died for us
(1 Corinthians 11:27, 29). Not only that, but we would be robbing ourselves and
our fellow Christians from the good comfort and the quiet conscience that our
Lord Jesus gives to us in the Holy Communion.
Above all else, the faithful teaching of the Scriptures in our midst MUST NOT
change. Every once in a while, however, God our heavenly Father graciously
positions us to re-think the way we operate on account of the teaching, that
is, the way we practice and the way we have always done things.
Over the last couple of weeks, our God has graciously allowed certain questions
to arise in our midst. We should welcome these questions as good gifts from
God, even if we might hesitate to answer right away. The questions are these:
How old must a child be before he or she may eat and drink of the Holy
Communion? At what age are children able to examine themselves? Should
participation in the communion be based upon age, or upon each individual’s
confession of the one true faith? Should all children be given the same answer
to these questions, or should each child be treated as an individual case?
These are NOT easy questions and they should not be answered quickly or without
careful thought, discussion, and study. These questions might even be made more
difficult by the fact that we have for decades operated a certain way without
ever asking why. Our forefathers in the nineteenth and early twentieth
centuries had to struggle with these questions and their answers, but we might
simply have adopted their practice without ever asking why, or wondering
whether all practices must always remain the same.
I confess that these are not new questions for me. I was discussing such things
with my fellow students twenty years ago at the seminary. The elders will tell
you that we also have discussed such questions off and on over the past several
years. Personally, I have a pretty good idea how I would like to answer these
questions, if the answers were left solely to me. But the answers are not left
solely to me. We are the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27). Each of us has
been joined to the other by the miracle of Baptism and by the powerful glue of
the divine Word. It is written in the book of Romans that none of us lives to
himself (Romans 14:7). I know that no one here feels confused about who is the
pastor. Nevertheless, we are all in this faith TOGETHER. I am yours and you are
mine. Therefore, we must consider and discuss and decide such matters AS A
GROUP. By all means, we must make every effort to stay together and, as the
Scriptures say, “maintain
 the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3).
•       Ask the question amongst yourselves, either in the parking lot or over
the dinner table at home: How old must a child be before he or she may eat and
drink of the Holy Communion?
•       Pray God to open your eyes, that you may see wonderful things in His
Word (Psalm 118:18): Should communion participation be based upon age, or upon
each individual’s confession of the one true faith?
•       Talk to the elders or talk to me: At what age are children able to
examine themselves?
•       Ask our newly arrived fellow Christians, whom God has graciously sent
to us from one of our sister congregations in the Kansas District. Their
presence among us shows that our brothers and sisters in other places have
already needed to confront these questions prior to us: At what age are
children able to examine themselves? Should all children be given the same
answer to these questions, or should each child be treated as an individual
case?
Also return frequently to today’s Introit Psalm, most especially the antiphon
verse at the beginning and at the end of the Psalm: “Your Word is a lamp to my
feet [O Lord], and a light to my path.” With these Words, God has set the
agenda for all questions that relate to our teaching and our practice. “Your
Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” That is to say, the teaching
of the Scriptures—what this psalm calls “Your Word”—the teaching of the
Scriptures guides the way we practice. The Word of God promises to shine like a
lamp “to guide our feet into the way of peace” (Luke 1:79), as Zechariah
prayed. Even when we feel momentarily uncertain about which way we should go,
“Your Word… is a light to my path,” and illumination in our darkness and
confusion. We believe that, if we keep our eyes focused upon the Scriptures of
God—if we keep our eyes focused upon Jesus, the author and perfecter of our
faith (Hebrews
 12:2)—the right path will not fail to open before us. And we shall not
stumble. And we shall not fall.
Our fellow Christians in many places will be watching and listening. This is a
matter of great importance, not only for us, but also for them. They will want
to know how we answer the questions that our God has raised among us. They will
want to know whether the saints of Grace in Versailles have the strength of
faith necessary to sail through potentially stormy seas. They will want to know
about our love for one another, our forbearance with difficult answers, and our
watchfulness, that no one among us slip too far away from our fellowship.
In this regard, I have great confidence in you. For years I have watched the
living and powerful Word of God have its way in your midst. The richness of
God’s mercy and grace in Christ Jesus has flowed thickly for you here—and it
shall continue to do so. That same mercy and grace in Christ Jesus has
continually overflowed from each you onto one another and even onto me, to the
joy and upbuilding of us all. Stated another way, the divine Word has already
been a lamp for our feet and a light for our path for a very long time. Praise
be to God! Nothing in heaven or on earth has the power to extinguish the divine
light that continually shines for us.