And now a word from the land of Hermeneutical Irresponsibility...

The Thirteenth Sunday After Pentecost
Fountain of Youth
Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord and Savior
Jesus Christ! Amen. Christ our Lord says all sorts of things in today’s Gospel,
but He keeps returning to the littlest children of the Church: verse 3, “Turn
and become like a child”; verse 5, “Do not cause these little ones who believe
in Me to sin”; verse 10, “Do not despise—do not overlook, neglect, or fail to
take seriously—these little ones”; finally, verse 15, “It is not the will of My
Father in heaven that even one of these little ones should perish.”
Dear Christian friends:
When Jesus told Nicodemus, “you must be born again” (John 3:3), He was talking
about the new birth, the birth of “water and the Spirit” (John 3:5). He was
talking about becoming a child again. When Jesus said to Nicodemus, “you must
be born again,” He was talking about Baptism.
We should consider the possibility that Jesus is talking about the very same
thing here in today’s Gospel. “Unless you turn,” says the Lord; “unless you
become like a child,” says the Lord, “you will never enter the kingdom of
heaven.”
•       What is this turning that the Lord requires, if not the turning—that
is, the repentance—that God Himself creates in Baptism? John the Baptist came,
“proclaiming a Baptism of repentance—that is, a Baptism of turning—for the
forgiveness of sins” (Luke 3:3). “Repent, that is, be baptized” is also how
Peter likewise later preached (Acts 2:38).
•       Again, how can we “become like a child”—how can we become “one of these
little ones” who believe in Jesus—unless God Himself first gives us “the right
to be called a children of God; children born not of blood, nor of the will of
the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:12-13).
So there are very strong baptismal possibilities for us in today’s Gospel, and
that is a good thing. If today’s Gospel is not a baptismal Gospel, then it is a
brutal Gospel. If today’s Gospel is not a baptismal Gospel, then it swings like
a club and bites like a dog.
•       “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin,”
says Jesus, “it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened
around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.” According to these
Words, we each should be looking at the world from the bottom of the lake.
Sinning against a baby is as easy as approaching with a big smile and a
friendly, “goo, goo,” only to end up making the baby cry for fear of you. If
today’s Gospel is not a baptismal Gospel, then the only sounds coming out of
your mouth right now should be “glug, glug.”
•       Again the Lord says in today’s Gospel, “See to it that you do not
despise one of these little ones.” Despising something can be as simple as
neglecting or overlooking it. Who among us bypassed a child for the sake of
focusing attention upon his parents? Who can even remember?
If today’s Gospel is not a baptismal Gospel—that is, a Gospel that intends to
put you in mind of your Baptism—then there is not much comfort here for us.
Stated another way, if this Gospel is not a baptismal Gospel, then it is not
really a gospel, but a law: instruction and demand and warning and threat.
In order to survive this Gospel, we should give careful consideration to its
baptismal possibilities. We should place our Lord’s Words in today’s Gospel
right next to our Lord’s Words to Nicodemus in John chapter 3. We should do
this because Jesus says virtually the same thing in both places—and we know
John chapter 3 speaks about Baptism.
•       Jesus says here, “Unless you turn and become like children, you will
never enter the kingdom of heaven.”
•       Jesus says nearly the same thing in John chapter 3: “Unless one is born
of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.”
Once again,
•       What is this turning that the Lord requires, if not the turning—that
is, the repentance—that God Himself creates in Baptism?
•       How can we become children again, unless God performs a miracle?
Now we should take another run through today’s Gospel and we should do so with
our Baptisms in mind. If we do, the Words that once bit like a dog will
suddenly transform themselves. In your Baptism, the threats in this Gospel turn
into divine promises of great, eternal security for you. Each and every
baptized Christian—including you—each and every baptized Christian is what
Jesus calls “one of these little ones who believe in Me.” Here is why that is
good news for you:
•       Christ Jesus your God has so closely identified Himself with you that
He considers Himself to be you and you to be Him. Your body is His body and His
body is yours. Your mind is His mind and His mind is your mind. Your sins are
His sins and His perfection is your perfection. Jesus so closely identifies
Himself with you in Baptism that He says about you here in today’s Gospel,
“Whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me.”
•       Christ Jesus your God also jealously watches over you, carefully
guarding and protecting you. He will act very aggressively against those who
might tempt you and lead you into sin. As you heard concerning yourself and all
the baptized of Christ, “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in
Me to sin, it would be better for him to be drowned.”
•       Jesus so earnestly wants you to be included in the preaching of His
Gospel and in His forgiveness of sins that He sternly says to His disciples,
His apostles, His New Testament writers, “See that you do not despise one of
these.” Do not overlook them. Do not neglect them. I am sending you Twelve
Disciples out into the world with My life-giving Words of forgiveness upon your
lips and with My life-strengthening meal of Holy Communion in your hands. See
that you do not despise one of these. For I tell you that in heaven their
angels always see the face of My Father. These, too, will one day see the
Father’s face.”
•       Jesus desires your eternal life. Jesus desires your bodily resurrection
from the dead. Jesus desires your forgiveness of sins. His Father in heaven
desires the very same things. That is why Jesus also says concerning you in
today’s Gospel, “It is not the will of My Father who is in heaven that even one
of these little ones should perish.”
•       The best thing about a baptismal approach to today’s Gospel is that it
helps us avoid idealizing children. The Scriptures teach us to believe that our
sons and daughters are just as sinful as we are. That is why we bring them to
Baptism in the earliest days of their infancy. Child-like innocence is NOT what
saves people. The child-like innocence of sins washed away in Baptism IS what
saves. Children are not born innocent, but are soon made innocent in “the
washing of rebirth and renewal in the Holy Spirit,” as Paul says in Titus
chapter 3.
That same innocence has been likewise given to you by your Christ. Jesus
commands you to “turn and become like children so that you may enter the
kingdom of heaven,” but then—as always—Jesus fulfills for you the very thing He
requires of you. You are each the littlest children of the Church. Baptism is
your fountain of youth. In it you will never die. “It is not the will of your
Father who is in heaven that even one of you little ones should perish” and
your heavenly Father always gets His way.