"Holy Baptism: Born of Water and the Spirit"
Midweek in Lent3
March 11, 2015
John 3:1–16

The Catechesis of Our Lord in the Gospel According to John

In John’s Gospel account we find our Lord teaching us, His Church. The
Catechism lays out in a simple way the core teachings of the Bible.
How does John in his Gospel account show us our Lord teaching us these
core teachings? On the Wednesday evenings in Lent we will meditate on
these core teachings as our Lord catechizes us.

Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the
Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

In learning from our Lord the core teachings of the Bible in the
Gospel According to John, we have seen that the Ten Commandments, the
Apostles’ Creed, and the Lord’s Prayer are indirectly taught by Him.
Now that we come to Baptism we have direct teaching of this Sacrament.
If the first three chief parts of the Catechism lay out the essence of
salvation and the new life we have in Christ, now in the second three
chief parts, Baptism, Absolution, and the Lord’s Supper, we have the
ways our Lord delivers that salvation and new life to us and how He
sustains us in them. Other than Matthew 28, where our Lord instituted
this Sacrament of Holy Baptism, perhaps the most recognizable passage
in Scripture is the one that is our focus tonight, John 3.

This is a well-known passage. We’re familiar with Nicodemus coming to
Jesus by night and Jesus telling him that unless one is born of water
and the Spirt he cannot enter the Kingdom of God. We’re familiar with
Nicodemus’ confusion about being born a second time; how can you go
back in your mother’s womb? And of course we’re most familiar with
Jesus’ famous statement of how God loved the world: He gave His only
Son that whoever believes in Him would not perish but have eternal
life.

The Catechism has a remarkably simple explanation of what Baptism is:
Baptism is not just plain water, but it is the water included in God’s
command and combined with God’s word. In fact, Baptism is almost so
simple that perhaps we can understand why so many Christians do not
see it for the Sacrament that it is. By Sacrament we mean a rite
instituted by our Lord for the purpose of forgiving us and saving us.
In answering the question of the Catechism, “What benefits does
Baptism give?” and in giving the answer, “It works forgiveness of
sins, rescues from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to
all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare” one
begins to see that we do not believe that this ritual of applying
water to a person and speaking the words of Christ is a mere symbol or
an act in which we are dedicating our life to God. This is actual
saving work of God going on.

And because something so simple as water and the spoken word of Christ
seems to be too, well, simple to bring about these amazing salvific
work of God, the Catechism goes on to ask a follow-up question: “How
can water do such great things?” The answer is that it is not the
water doing it but the word of God in and with the water that does
these things. Many people today have the same confusion Nicodemus had
with Jesus. Jesus was speaking of being born in a new way. He was not
speaking of a symbolic act. He was speaking of actually being reborn.

What Jesus said to him is that unless one is born in this new way he
cannot see the Kingdom of God. This new way is ‘anothen’. That’s the
Greek word Jesus used. Usually English translations translate it as
“born again,” and that’s certainly one way it can be understood.
Interestingly, it’s the way Nicodemus apparently was understanding it.
He just could not wrap his mind around being born again. When you’re
old, how are you going to get back into your mother’s womb to be born
a second time?

But could it be that Jesus was using the word ‘anothen’ in a different
way, as ‘born from above’? His talk of being born of the flesh in
contrast to being born of the Sprit might just indicate that. This new
way you must be born of is being born of God, from above; from the
Holy Spirit. Now this certainly doesn’t negate being born again. It
most certainly is a second birth, and so therefore it is certainly
being born again.

The way Jesus speaks of this new birth, of water and the Sprit, is
very mysterious. Just as the wind blows where and when it pleases, so
it is with the one who is born of the Spirit. Once again, Nicodemus
was flummoxed. How can these things be? Jesus said to him, are you a
teacher of Israel and you don’t understand these things I’m telling
you?

This is the way it is with God. He makes Himself known in His Son,
Jesus. That’s why after speaking of being born of water and the Spirit
He speaks of Himself. Who is the one who can ascend into heaven? It is
the one who has Himself descended from heaven, the Son of Man. He is
the one sent from God to earth to then be lifted up for all. He says
that as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son
of Man be lifted up.

We are so much like Nicodemus. Because we are born of the flesh we are
of the flesh. We don’t understand the things of the Spirit. We don’t
understand the things Jesus is speaking to us of being born anew, of
being born from above. So Jesus spells it out clearly.

Moses lifted up the serpent, the Son of Man will be lifted up. He
Himself will be raised up on the cross for every person. This, then,
is how God loved the world. He gave His only Son to die on that cross
so that whoever believes in Him would not perish but have everlasting
life.

This is what Baptism is all about. It is about being born of the
Spirit. The one who was born of the flesh of the Virgin Mary but
conceived by the Holy Spirit is the one who joins you with Him in His
death and resurrection in your Baptism. The Catechism quotes this
passage from Romans chapter six: “We were therefore buried with Him
through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised
from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new
life.” This is the new life we receive in Baptism, having been born
from above in that very Baptism.

Christ’s death and resurrection are at the heart of this being born of
water and the Spirit. Those who look at Baptism the way Nicodemus did
jump right to the faith that is necessary in Baptism. They jump right
to John 3:16 where Jesus says that whoever believes in Him would not
perish but have eternal life. But this belief is not something that
can be accomplished by one who is born of the flesh. Whoever is born
of the flesh is flesh. True faith does not spring from a fleshly
sinful heart. It springs from one who has been born of water and the
Spirit.

That is the faith Jesus is talking about in John 3:16. Whoever
believes in Him has eternal life because he has been given new life,
life from above in the washing of water and renewal of the Holy
Spirit, as Paul describes it in Titus chapter 3. This everlasting life
He gives is certainly life in heaven, once our Lord calls us home. But
it is also life even now. It is a life of faith. It is a life in which
we live by the Spirit, not by the flesh.

When one is born that person has life. There is no need to tell the
person to keep living. In fact, infants are unable to understand any
sort of rational thought anyway. They live because their lungs are
working and their heart is pumping blood. Yet, as they have been given
life by being born, they need to be nourished in that life. They are
fed and cared for.

So the life of the one who is born of water and Spirit is one who has
been given life by God. As a Christian, you live a life of faith. You
daily drown to your sinful flesh in confession of sin. You daily rise
to new life in the certainty that you have life from above—your sins
are forgiven, your life is life that is forever. Just as you were
given faith in Baptism, so you continue to live in that faith. You are
kept in the sustaining grace of God as you live as a Baptized child of
God. It is no longer you who live but Christ who lives in you. For you
have been raised up with Him in life from above that is birth of water
and the Spirit. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]