"The Master and the One Who Serves"
Maundy Thursday
April 2, 2015
John 13:1–15

There some things that just are the way they are. True, some things
change. But good luck if you are the servant inserting yourself into
the role of master. And if you are the master people will scoff at you
attempting to play the part of servant.

But this is exactly what our Lord has done. The master has become the
servant. The Lord has stooped down to serve us, the ones who are
beneath Him. There is so much to the action of Jesus stripping from
His robe, putting a towel around His waist, and stooping down to wash
His disciples’ feet. This one action encapsulates everything Jesus was
about in those final hours before His crucifixion. He knew before
celebrating the Passover with His disciples that it would truly be the
‘Last Supper’. He would be eating it with them knowing that He would
be crucified shortly after that on the next day.

He would give Himself in the bread and wine and then He would give
Himself over on the cross. After the meal and before His death He
stooped down to wash their feet. This is indicative of His serving
them in His Meal and serving everyone on the cross. His entire life,
His coming to earth as a baby, His ministry, all of it was to serve.
As He had said, “The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve.”
As He had said, “The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

On the night in which He was betrayed, then, He not only encapsulated
this service, but gave the impetus for our service. If I your Lord and
teacher have washed your feet, so you ought to wash one another’s
feet. As we have been served by our Lord, we serve one another. The
Master is the one who serves, and because of that, we are ones who
serve. We serve because our Lord has served us. We stoop to help
others in their need because our Lord has stooped to help us in our
need.

The context of this is important. We must learn to serve from our
Master. It is not that He is the master and therefore we who are
servants must serve. It is that our Lord has served us and because He
has done so we see life in a whole new way. We see that there are many
people in the world who need to be served in the same way. Our Lord
calls upon us to serve them.

It is crucial, therefore, that we continue to be served by our Lord.
He continues to come to us, wrapping a towel around His waist and
serving us. His getting up from the table to wash His disciples’ feet
was a symbolic action. The slave’s job was to wash the feet of the
guests. When you wear sandals on dusty roads your feet get dirty. The
master of the house should not be expected to wash the feet of the
guests. The slaves, then, were the ones to serve the guests in this
way.

You can understand, then, Peter’s reaction to Jesus. Lord, you will
never wash my feet! But Jesus knew that he was missing the point. His
Lord was stooping down to serve him. Without Him doing so Peter could
have no part in Him. Then Peter got the picture. Then Lord, not only
my feet, but my hands and my head as well! But, as Jesus showed him,
he actually still wasn’t getting the picture. It wasn’t about the
washing of the feet. That was a symbolic action. It was about being
served by his Lord. That is how one has a part in Jesus, by being
served by Him. Not by refusing to be served by Him. And not, either,
by missing the point of the symbolism.

Jesus showed him how he missed the point. The one who has been washed
is already clean. You are already clean. You don’t need to be washed
over and over again. You are already saved. In My coming to you as
your Lord to serve you I come to you to renew you.

That is why His action before washing His disciples’ feet was an
action that was not symbolic. It was an action in which He actually
served them for their spiritual benefit. It was the way, He said, that
He would continue to serve His people, often, to forgive them, renew
them, and strengthen them. In giving His body and blood in and with
bread and wine He was giving them Himself and they would have a part
in Him. They who were already clean would be sustained in that grace
and salvation they received when they had been washed in the waters of
Holy Baptism.

This is how He stoops down to serve you, by coming to you in the
humble means of bread and wine. In these ordinary things that we eat
and drink He gives us His body and His blood. We see after the fact
that His body and blood He gives us in His sacred Meal are the very
body and blood He gave and shed in His suffering and dying on the
cross. The purpose of instituting His sacred Meal was to deliver to us
what He offered there on the cross. His sacrifice on the cross was for
all. It is actually delivered to you in His Holy Supper. He serves you
in this way.

Because He serves you in this way, you then are enabled to serve
others. Obviously you can’t give them what Christ gives in His Supper.
But you can love them as Christ has loved you. You can stoop down to
where they’re at. You can love them with selfless love.

This is impossible for you to do on your own. Your heart is filled
with sin. Your actions often are selfish rather than selfless. You
often would rather others serve you than you serve others. You can
only serve others as Christ has served you by being served by Him. You
confess your sins and you hear His forgiveness given to you. You
hunger and thirst for His righteousness He gives you in the Sacrament
celebrated here at the altar.

When you receive Christ’s body and blood you have a part in Him. You
are forgiven and you are freed from your guilt so that you are free to
serve others. He is the master and you are one who serves. You are one
who serves because you have been served by your Master. As you
continue to serve you will at times falter. You will continue to need
to be forgiven and renewed and strengthened to serve. That is why your
Lord invites you often back to His Table where He stoops down to serve
you, giving you Himself as He did on the cross; serving you. And in so
doing, giving you life now and forever. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]