The Fourth Sunday of Easter

Unity

Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord and Savior
Jesus Christ! Jesus says in today’s Gospel, “There will be one flock, one
shepherd.” Then Jesus explains that there is one flock and one shepherd for
only one reason: Christ is risen! (He is risen, indeed!) Alleluia! “There will
be one flock, one shepherd,” says the Lord. “For this reason the Father loves
Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it up again.”

Dear Christian friends,

As you probably noticed from the churchyard, I am experimenting with raising
sheep. While reading up on the topic, I learned that, if you take sheep from
two different flocks and release them together into one pasture, they will not
mix very well. Each flock will remain its own little corner, keeping as much
distance from the other flock as possible. Perhaps they feel prejudiced toward
one another on account of their breed. Perhaps they simply don’t feel
comfortable with starting a conversation and would prefer to stare at their
cell phones.

You do that same distance-keeping thing, and so do I. Familiarity provides a
certain level of comfort, and even if it is false comfort, and there is always
some risk involved in exposing yourself to the unknown. We Christians are
simply too sinful and too powerless to overcome our inborn barriers. Even if we
do, there is a good chance the other guy will not. Besides, God’s apostle Paul
almost made it sound as though division and disunity in the church are a
blessing: “There must be factions among you,” said Paul, “in order that those
who are genuine among you may be recognized” (1 Corinthians 11:19). If I were
to ask all the genuine Christians to please raise their hand, I wonder how many
people would not.

Throughout His Scriptures, Jesus repeatedly describes His dear Christians as
sheep. It was not intended to be a compliment. As one fellow pastor stated it,
sheep specialize in finding ways to die. In comparison, everything about us
eventually reduces to death, too. Solomon complained that it does not matter
whether you are a wise person or a fool: either way, the road will still end in
the same place (Ecclesiastes 2:14).

Jesus says “There will be one flock, one shepherd” and if we Christians are
really good at anything, it would be our undying commitment to proving Jesus
wrong. The last thing we want is “one flock, one shepherd.” Refusal to admit it
might simply hasten the slaughter. “One flock and one shepherd” is written in
the Scriptures, but “many flocks and many shepherds” is acted out in the
everyday life of the Christian church on earth.

1.      We can blame false teaching, and that is as good a starting place as
any. Some Christians simply refuse to believe the Words of Jesus. This section
of the Scripture says things they do not want to here; that Bible verse does
not seem to fit their way of thinking; another Bible verse there requires them
to act differently than they want to act, and yet another Bible verse does not
seem to be very relevant to today. When we refuse to believe the Words of
Jesus, we are left with our own words instead. That is what false teaching is:
replacing God’s Words with our own. False teaching creates false hope. False
teaching calls God a liar and it does so with a smile. False teaching divides
Christians, one from another. False teaching makes it impossible for us to see
with our eyes what Jesus has said with His mouth: “There will be one flock, one
shepherd.” False teaching also tends to be about the other guy. We Lutherans
might have become so convinced that we have it right that maybe some of us have
stopped thinking about it. We should change our minds about that. By no means
is the work of our theology done. There are too many children to train and too
many people across the back fence who need to hear “the good news about Jesus”
(Acts 8:35).

2.      Even if we should leave the doctrinal problems to the professionals,
disunity and division are equally evident the ways we each act. We Christians
routinely do unloving things to one another, even in the name of service to God
(John 16:2), and these unloving things motivate our division. Words form too
quickly; selfish habits die too slowly; high school style cliques gather too
naturally; and personal agendas grow too righteously. Sin for Christians is as
natural as a sheep stepping off a cliff and into a ravine.

When we teach the children to sing, “I am Jesus’ Little Lamb” (LSB 740), we are
really just teaching them to keep their eyes focused upon Jesus, their Good
Shepherd. That is the point of being called sheep: that we would look at the
Shepherd. In today’s Gospel, Jesus says a lot of comforting things about being
our Good Shepherd. Jesus says here,

•       “The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.” These Words
certainly speak about your Lord’s dying—and by His stripes you are healed. But
your Good Shepherd does not serve you merely by His death. Christ is risen! (He
is risen, indeed!) Alleluia! Your risen Lord Jesus now lays down His life for
you, not in dying again, but in daily service and in full time commitment to
you, for your forgiveness, for your protection, for your comfort and for your
peace. In the Holy Communion, our Lord Jesus comes to us—our gentle Shepherd
among us—and we are talking about the presence of the living Christ, knowing
that death no longer holds mastery over Him!

•       “I know My own and My own know Me.” When Jesus says, “I know My own,”
He means that He knows your devils and He knows your deeds. Yet even knowing
these things, the Good Shepherd nevertheless came to you to stay with you,
fully prepared to bleed.

•       “And I have other sheep that are not of this fold,” says the Lord. “I
must bring them also.” These Words of Jesus mean life for you and life for me.
The love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord is so great, so all-encompassing that
our Good Shepherd was not content merely to save that tiny flock of believers
who were first present when these Words were first spoken. Jesus claims to be
the Shepherd of “other sheep,” too, beyond those of His first gathering and His
first fold. You and I are Jesus’ other sheep, and our Good Shepherd lives now
to gather us in and make us His own. The holy Christian Church is the one and
only place upon the face of earth where these Words of Jesus come to
fulfillment with joyous repetition: “I must bring them also, and they will
listen to My voice.”

•       “So there will be one flock, one shepherd.” With these Words, Jesus
teaches us not to believe the things we see with our eyes. Everywhere we look
on earth, the eye is filled with dissention, division, and decade. Yet the holy
Church belongs to the Good Shepherd, and He claims full responsibility for
gathering us together as one. Unity, indeed, has come at the price of the Good
Shepherd’s blood: There will be one flock, one shepherd,” says the Lord. “For
this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it
up again.” Christ is risen! (He is risen, indeed!) Alleluia!

Because Christ is risen, we Christians have reason to hope. WE DO NOT NEED TO
HOPE FOR WHAT MIGHT BE. God in His Christ has given us hope in what is. Jesus
the Good Shepherd died and rose again, in accordance with these Words, “I lay
down My life that I may take it up again.” In this laying down and in this
taking up again, everything is now radically different than it would seem:

•       Where there is only sin visible, Jesus has worked forgiveness and
reconciliation;

•       Where we see only death, Jesus lives with His gift of life;

•       Where there is only disunity and division evident everywhere in the
church, the Church is nevertheless holy; the Church is nevertheless unified;
the Church is nevertheless fully incorporated into the living body of Christ.

These things are so because Jesus our Good Shepherd says they are so.