The First Sunday in Advent

He Went On Ahead

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus
Christ! Amen. In today’s Gospel, “*Jesus went on ahead, going up to
Jerusalem*.” Perhaps you already know what awaited Him there.

Dear Christian friends:

Old Testament King Saul had a son named Jonathan. Like many people in the
Old Testament, Jonathan offers us an ancient picture of our Lord Jesus
Christ, the Promised Messiah of old, whose coming we celebrate in Advent.

There was one time in particular when Jonathan gave us an especially good
portrait of our Lord and Christ (1 Samuel 14). Jonathan and his
armor-bearer had left the main camp of Israel’s army and went off by
themselves. It was during one of the many wars that Israel fought against
the Philistines. While separated from their fellow soldiers, Jonathan and
the armor-bearer spotted a Philistine garrison encamped on top of a high
hill. Jonathan said to the armor-bearer, “God can easily save a lot of
people with just a few men. Get behind me. We’re going up there to do some
damage.”

·        That is the first way Jonathan shows us a picture of Christ Jesus.
Jonathan’s armor-bearer should have been out in front of Jonathan,
protecting the king’s son. With Christ-like love, Jonathan told his
armor-bearer to get behind, so that Jonathan’s own kingly life would stand
between that man and his mortal enemy. Has not Christ Jesus our Lord done
the very same for us, placing His body and life in front of ours, so that
He may offer continual protection to us?

When Jonathan and the armor-bearer made it to the top of the hill, they
worked their way through the entire enemy crowd. In each case, Jonathan
made the first strike, singlehandedly dropping every man that came out to
face him. The armor-bearer had the easy work of coming along behind,
finishing off the minor details.

·        Here again we see a beautiful portrait of our crucified and
resurrected Lord. At the cross, Jesus our Champion moved into battle ahead
of us, facing an entire host of the enemy. There He methodically destroyed
with His own suffering and death all that would mean to do us harm. One man
dropped every enemy. One man shouldered the load that should have borne by
everyone who follows along behind Him. “*Jesus* *went on ahead,*” as you
heard in today’s Gospel, “*going up to Jerusalem*.” This is our Jonathan
moving forward into battle, climbing up the deadly hill toward the enemy
garrison while we travel safely behind.

During those Old Testament days of the Philistine wars, how did the Lord
our God respond to Jonathan’s courageous warfare? Amazingly, when Jonathan
toppled the enemy, an earthquake took place. Everyone remaining in the
garrison felt the shake, and it cause “*a very great panic*” (1 Samuel
14:15). It might seem strange that the earth would shake in response to
such a seemingly small event as one man defeating his enemy. But maybe the
strangeness is not so strange when we bear in mind what has been written
concerning the moment of our Lord’s death on the cross: “*Jesus cried out
again with a loud voice and yielded up His spirit… and the earth shook*”
(Matthew 27:51).

The word Advent means “coming” and today is the First Sunday of Advent.
Today’s Gospel is a good Gospel for this day, and not merely because it
speaks about our Lord’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem, which is the
traditional theme for this first day of the Church Year.

The goodness of today’s Gospel is also found in the fact that Advent means
“coming”–and because St. Luke the Gospel writer took pains to write
that “*Jesus
went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem*.” Here comes our Jonathan!

It remains for us to follow, as closely behind as we are able. Safely
behind our Lord’s back, we will find here the benefits of His bloodied
sword, which means forgiveness of our sins. Huddled closely behind Him we
will find relief as our Champion undertakes for us the danger and peril
that should have been ours to bear. Here, too, we may step confidently over
our incapacitated and fallen enemies—sin, death, and the devil—no longer
hampered or intimidated by their power. The Lord bless your Advent season.