"Following Jesus"
First Sunday in Advent
Ad te Levavi
Commemoration of Noah
November 29, 2015
Matthew 21:1–9

It’s the same for every Christian. Jesus says, “Follow Me.” The
apostles were called directly by their Lord to follow Him. They knew
that this didn’t mean just following Him around. They knew this was a
life thing. He was calling them to a new way of living, a break from
the past. When Jesus calls upon us to follow Him it means that we no
longer follow our own path, but rather the one He lays before us.

This is why we do this thing called the Church Year. The Church Year
is deliberate. The Church Year is focused. The Church Year takes our
eyes of all that glitters in life and points us to the cross. If Palm
Sunday seems out of place here at the beginning of the Church Year, it
shouldn’t. Off the bat, we are shown what following Jesus is all
about. It is about Him going to the cross. In a few weeks we will
celebrate Christmas. Jesus was born to go to the cross. He followed
the Father’s will in living a life that culminated in the cross.

In the Church Year we follow the life of Jesus. In Advent we ponder as
those who did before Christ came. Not jumping directly to Christmas,
we pause. We know He came, but what was it like before He did? It was
waiting. It was patiently entrusting the waiting to the perfect time
of when He would send the Savior. Our Advent waiting impresses on us
the need for repentance, as our God on high was brought low in a
stable and then raised up on a cross.

Once we celebrate Christmas we continue on in the Church Year to
follow the life of our Lord as He made His way to the cross. That we
begin the Church Year with the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem where He
will be affixed to a cross shows us that following Jesus is nothing
apart from the cross.

Following Jesus is a life lived out in the Baptism we received. In
Baptism is where we met Jesus at the crossroads. He took our sinful
nature and put it death. Crucified, is the way Paul says it in Romans
6. Your life as a follower of Christ is one in which, like Christ, you
have already been crucified.

If you wonder at the significance of your Baptism, then consider the
work of your Lord in going to the cross. He could have walked into
Jerusalem, but He chose to ride in. He did not choose the path of
glory and pride, however but of humility. He didn’t come in on a
stallion on a donkey. He told His disciples to go to a man who had a
donkey tied up. If anyone were to say anything to them, they were to
respond that the Lord had need of it.

Consider that a donkey, not exactly a glorious animal, was used by the
Lord to bring Him into Jerusalem where He would go to the cross.
Following Jesus means recognizing that this life is not one of glory
but of humility. He uses simple things, such as a donkey. Such as the
water poured on you in your Baptism. Follow Him and live in your
Baptism every day. Wake up every day and make the sign of the cross on
your forehead and on your heart to remind you that you are marked as
one who is redeemed.

Following Jesus is always following the one who went to the cross to
redeem you. It’s not following Him around. It’s living in the
Baptismal life you have been given; where you have died in a death
like His and raised in a resurrection like His.

Jesus knew why He was going to the cross. No one else even knew He was
going to the cross. Jesus came into Jerusalem in fulfillment of
Scripture. This is what Matthew tells in the Gospel reading: “This
took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying, ‘Say to
the daughter of Zion, “Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and
mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.”’”
Jesus does what He does to bring about the promises He has made. In
coming in, He was coming humbly, because He was going to the cross. He
was not coming to enter a palace, He was coming to bow His head on a
cross.

Those who were there did not see it coming, but we can. We have the
whole story given to us in the Scriptures. Those Scriptures, as we are
shown in the Gospel reading, say to rejoice, our King is coming to us.
We rejoice because He went to the cross. We rejoice because He is our
King who has come to save us, to forgive us. The crowds hailed Him as
He rode into Jerusalem: “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He
who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” Hosanna,
they cried, Save us! Son of David they called Him, the one who would
be their Messiah, their Savior. Blessed is the one who comes in the
name of the Lord, they shouted.

Yes, He came in the name of the Lord. He was indeed the Son of David.
He was most definitely coming to save them. At the end of the week,
though, when He was hanging on a cross waiting to die, where were
they? Where were their cries of rejoicing in their Savior saving them?
They were nowhere to be heard, because they didn’t believe He came to
save them by losing His life.

He came in humility because it was ultimate humility that paid for the
sin of the world. It was being cursed in our place. It was enduring
seeming victory for Satan and utter foolishness for God. It was
submitting to crushing punishment for sin for Him who had no sin.

They followed Him into Jerusalem but not to the cross. It’s no matter,
though. He went alone as He was the one who alone atoned for sin. Even
so, by the miracle of the water and the Word, we have already been
there, to the cross. In Baptism, we have already been crucified with
Christ. We follow Him who died for all of our sins and calls us to
live in that daily dying and rising of repentance and forgiveness, of
dying to the flesh and rising to new life.

No matter what day it is in the Church Year, apart from the cross it
means nothing. Every single day in the Church Year revolves around the
Gospel reading for the day and what it proclaims to us of the Christ
who suffered, died, and rose. Following Him is nothing apart from
following the one humbly who went to the cross to give us new and
eternal life. Life in which we live not to ourselves but to Him in
humble service to others; in faith toward Him and in fervent love
toward one another.

This is the way Paul speaks of following Jesus in the Epistle reading:
“Let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.
Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness,
not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and
jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for
the flesh, to gratify its desires.” Putting on the Lord Jesus is
living in Baptism. Living in Baptism is making no provision for the
flesh, to gratify its desires. It is following Jesus, the one who went
to the cross and brought you into His death and resurrection in your
Baptism.

That is how you have new life, you have been brought into the life of
Christ in Baptism. This new life is following Jesus. Following Him is
not so much a conscious effort as it is simply being who you are in
Christ. If you are a new creation, then you are a new creation! You
have put on Christ, you follow Him by living as one who always goes
back, to the cross, the place where your salvation was accomplished.
You always live out your Baptism, the place where you personally were
delivered of all your sins. Following Him means that He is always
going before you. Having gone to the cross, He leads you through the
valley and into heaven. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]