“In the Newborn Christ the Father Gave Us Salvation Guaranteed by the Holy Spirit”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear brothers and sisters of the newborn Christ, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord [Amen.]

“Oh, that day when freed from sinning, I shall see Thy lovely face;

Clothed then in the blood-washed linen, How I’ll sing Thy wondrous grace!

Come, my Lord, no longer tarry; Take my ransom’d soul away;

Send Thine angels soon to carry Me to realms of endless day.”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 686:4)

Epistle Reading.................................................................... Ephesians 1:3-14 (esp. 11-14)

11In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

Prologue: Two thoughts that will hopefully gain and retain your attention this [afternoon / morning]. First is the concept of “guarantee.” Most, if not all, new vehicles, large and small appliances, electronic gadgets, lawn care machines, and many other items come with a guarantee. That is, the companies that made, marketed, or sold them promised that they would work flawlessly … at least for awhile. Second is the concept of endless delight. That is, we desire whatever delights us such as particular foods, enjoyable activities, a captivating novel, a devoted spouse, and many other things as well to never end.

Here we are at the 2nd (and last) Sunday in the short 12-day Christmas season. More than likely most people have already taken down and stored away their Christmas decorations, and retail stores have replaced Christmas items (except perhaps the seasonal clearance ones that are greatly reduced in price!) with Valentine’s items and (looking forward to the end of winter and beginning of spring) lawn and garden items.

We who greatly delight in Christmas lament the fact that the all-too-brief Christmas season that began just a little more than one week ago on December 25 will conclude this upcoming Tuesday, January 5. We long for a guarantee that the angels’ message to the shepherds some 2000+ years ago of “peace on earth, good will toward men” would last far longer than Christmas Day itself.

Well, today’s sermon text encourages that very thing by reminding us that …

“In the Newborn Christ the Father Gave Us Salvation Guaranteed by the Holy Spirit.”

As we consider that marvelously wonderful and reassuring message, the first thing to realize is that …

  I.   God Graciously Adopted Us through the Newborn Christ. (3-6)

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

A devotion designed to give comfort to homebound, institutionalized, and hospitalized Christians stated: “What is grace? To some it is the name of a pretty girl they know. To others grace is what you say before you eat. To still others grace is good manners, or the action of a performer in a ballet. To the sinner, grace is the unmerited mercy of an all-loving God.

“Grace is an amazing thing. It is love, but more than love. It is undeserved love. This grace has been freely given to us by God.

“God’s grace … is not a slow drip, drip, drip from the faucet of his love. It is grace sufficient to cover all our sins, no matter how bad they are or how often they have been repeated. It is grace in abundance for every day of our lives.

“God’s grace … is ours without price. A good thing, for we could never begin to pay for our forgiveness. The national debt exceeds billions of dollars. Even if we laid all of this money at the feet of the Almighty, it would not be sufficient to purchase forgiveness for a single sin. But what we could not earn or buy, God gives to us freely ‘in the One he loves.’

“Not that this grace is cheap. It has been paid for by the … suffering and death of the holy Son of God, the ‘One he loves.’ At Jesus’ baptism God called from heaven in a loud voice, ‘This is my Son, whom I love.’ On the Mount of Transfiguration the disciples heard the voice from the cloud proclaim, ‘This is my Son, whom I love.’ God’s grace flows freely in his beloved Son, Jesus Christ.

“It is this Savior whose perfect life, mighty death in payment for our sins and victorious resurrection on the third day purchased our forgiveness. Thus God provided a fountain of forgiveness and mercy for all people of all generations. This free-flowing grace of God deserves our praises now and throughout eternity.” (For Such a Time as This: Epistles. Copyright © 1991 Northwestern Publishing House, Milwaukee, WI. Page 71.)

Motivated by that grace, God claimed us as His own dear children through our Baptism into Jesus. God keeps us as His own dear children through the contemplation of Holy Baptism, the hearing and reading His Holy Word, the declaration of Holy Absolution, and the partaking of Holy Communion. For in those blessed means of grace, we are reminded and reassured that …

 II.   God Graciously Redeemed and Forgave Us in the Newborn Christ. (7-10)

7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

A brief review of sin reminds us that “Original sin is that total corruption of our whole human nature that we have inherited from Adam through our parents.” That same “Original sin A. has brought guilt and condemnation to all people; B. has left everyone … spiritually blind, dead, and enemies of God; [and] C. causes everyone to commit all kinds of actual sins.” Those actual sins include “every act against a commandment of God in thoughts, desires, words, or deeds.” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986, 1991 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 98ff.)

The wretched result of all that is what we confessed earlier in this divine service: “I, a poor, miserable sinner, confess unto You all my sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended You and justly deserved Your temporal and eternal punishment.” (Lutheran Service Book. Page 184.) We then pleaded for God’s gracious and merciful redemption and forgiveness.

In response to that Pastor Marks announced God’s gracious redemption and forgiveness to us in the words of absolution. His announcement stands on the solid foundation of what Saint Peter wrote: “Knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.” (1 Peter 1:18-19 ESV) as well as what Saint John wrote: “The blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7 ESV)

Although another jubilant and ecstatic Christmas celebration is rapidly waning, what will never end is that …

“In the Newborn Christ the Father Gave Us Salvation Guaranteed by the Holy Spirit.”

And as we now move further into the atoning work of Immanuel in the upcoming weeks, today we reflect back on the annual formal celebration of His birth realizing that, as today’s Introit antiphon stated, He is “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (St John 1:14 ESV) and today’s Gradual declared: “To us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder. And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things!” (Is 9:6 & Ps 98:1a ESV)

At the same time we look forward with Spirit-inspired knowledge provided by Doctor Luke in today’s Gospel Reading about this twelve-year-old “Son of God and Mary’s son” who amazed the temple priests and teachers, namely, that “The child [Jesus] grew and became strong, filled with wisdom. And the favor of God was upon him. And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.” (St Luke 2:40 & 52 ESV) Of course His wisdom and stature totally eclipsed that of His ancestor King Solomon, about whom today’s Old Testament Reading contained the following conversation between God and him: “And Solomon said, … ‘Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?’ It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. And God said to him, ‘Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you.’” (1 Kings 3:6a, 9-12 ESV)

So, as we look both backward and forward, let’s joyfully celebrate with thanksgiving today and every day that …

  I.   God Graciously Adopted Us through the Newborn Christ. (3-6)

       and …

 II.   God Graciously Redeemed and Forgave Us in the Newborn Christ. (7-10)

As we do so, let’s keep in our minds the following words contained in today’s Collect: “You have poured into our hearts the true Light of Your incarnate Word. Grant that this Light may shine forth in our lives.”

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]