“Jesus Christ Is the Revelation of God’s Great Gospel Mystery”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear blessed ones to whom God has revealed His great Gospel mystery in Jesus Christ, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord [Amen.]

“Christ the eternal Lord,

Whose promise here we claim,

Whose gifts of grace are freely poured

On all who name Your name; …

“Christ the unchanging Word

To ev’ry passing age,

Whose timeless teachings still are heard

Set forth on Scripture’s page; ….

“Christ the redeeming Son,

Who shares our human birth,

And by His death salvation won

For ev’ry child of earth; …

“Christ the unfading Light

Of everlasting day,

Our Morning Star in splendor bright,

The Life, the Truth, the Way; …

“Christ the ascended King

Exalted high above,

Whose praise unending ages sing,

Whom yet unseen we love; … .”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 829:1-5)

Epistle Reading........................................................................ Ephesians 3:1-12 (esp. 1-6)

1For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles—2assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly. 4When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 6This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Prologue: Well, the all-too-brief twelve-day Christmas season is now history for another year. Having once again formally commemorated our Savior’s humble birth in Bethlehem’s manger with joyful singing and exuberant celebration we today mark that occasion that’s often inaccurately portrayed in crèches and manger scenes, namely, the visitation of Gentile Magi to worship Him with their gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Or do we?

A somewhat detailed explanation of The Epiphany of Our Lord contained in the Treasury of Daily Prayer devotion book tells us: “The feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord commemorates no event but presents an idea that assumes concrete form only through the facts of our Lord’s life. … At Christmas, God appears as man, and at Epiphany, this man appears before the world as God. That Christ became man needed no proof. But that this man, this helpless child, is God needed proof. The manifestations of the Trinity, the signs and wonders performed by this man, and all His miracles have the purposes of proving to men that Jesus is God. Lately, especially in the Western Church, the story of the Magi has been associated with this feast day. As Gentiles who were brought to faith in Jesus Christ, the Magi represent all believers from the Gentile world.” (Treasury of Daily Prayer. Scot A. Kinnaman, Gen. Ed. Copyright © 2008 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 1094.)

Of course, in fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy in today’s Old Testament Reading: “Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. For behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the Lord will arise upon you, and his glory will be seen upon you. And nations shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising. A multitude of camels shall cover you, the young camels of Midian and Ephah; all those from Sheba shall come. They shall bring gold and frankincense, and shall bring good news, the praises of the Lord.” (Is 10:1-3, 6 ESV) the familiar account of the Wise Men’s visit is today’s Gospel Reading. In it the Spirit-inspired Saint Matthew wrote that, after being led by a star on a long journey and an encounter with wicked King Herod, the unknown number of Magi made their way following that same star to a house in Bethlehem. Upon arrival, “And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.” (St Matt 2:11-12 ESV)

To get to the real benefit of Matthew’s account, however, we have to get past the star, the long trip, the stopover in Jerusalem, and the meaningful gifts. When we do so, we discover from the pen of Saint Paul that the substantive significance of this familiar account is that …

“Jesus Christ Is the Revelation of God’s Great Gospel Mystery.”

You see, the word “epiphany” means to make known, manifest, reveal. Hmm, … reveal. That probably sparks in our minds the expanded word, “revelation.” And, of course, that leads our attention to the New Testament book, “The Revelation of Jesus Christ.” In that last book of the New Testament and the entire Bible, the apostle John revealed in all sorts of mysterious images and activities the simple and yet profound message that Jesus Christ has battled Satan and conquered him for us. That is, …

  I.   It’s All about the Gospel of God’s Grace-Gift, Jesus Christ. (7-10)

7Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. 8To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things, 10so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.

“Gospel” means “good news” specifically about the atoning work of the Messiah—“the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (St John 1:29 ESV)—as declared by His cousin John the Baptizer, who was the New Testament Elijah. That good news involves bad news … sin. For it was our original parents’ disobedient rebellion against God that introduced sin into God’s perfect creation and stained it with ugly darkness. But Immanuel defeated the father of that bad news—Satan—with His holy life, innocent suffering and death, and victorious resurrection from the dead in triumph over sin, Satan, and death itself … all for us!

What was necessary to overcome sin, Satan, and death itself that mankind could not do … Jesus Christ did. And more than that, He now gives us the undeserved gifts of His accomplishment, namely, forgiveness of all our sins, healing of our sin-sick souls, and eternal life with Himself in glorious heaven. That’s what grace is … the undeserved love of God that motivated Him to rescue us stinking, rotten, rebellious people in the Blessed Sacrament of Holy Baptism from the eternal damnation in hell’s fiery torment that we deserve and to retain us as His own dearly-adopted children through the hearing and reading of His Holy Word, the soothing announcement of Holy Absolution, and the guarantee of His grace-gifts in Holy Communion.

All of that and more comprises the gospel message of God’s grace that Saint Paul was privileged to preach to the Gentiles then and Pastor Marks and I are privileged to preach to you today. It’s what in some mysterious manner was revealed to the Magi, who then travelled to where they found the toddler Jesus with His mother and worshipped Him with tangible valuable material gifts. In addition, they then and we today join together with “angels and archangels and with all the company of heaven” in lauding and magnifying Christ’s glorious name and evermore praising Him now and in eternity all because …

 II.   We Have Access to God through Faith in Jesus Christ. (11-12)

11This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him.

Another way of saying that is: “Not only do [we] have the freedom to come to God, but [we] have the joy and pleasure of coming confidently, without any reservation, ‘as dear children coming to their dear father.’” (Armin J. Panning in People’s Bible Commentary: Galatians, Ephesians. Copyright © 1997 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 168.) That’s what the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther communicated in his explanation to The Introduction of The Lord’s Prayer, “Our Father who art in heaven”: “With these words God tenderly invites us to believe that He is our true Father and that we are His true children, so that with all boldness and confidence we may ask Him as dear children ask their dear father.” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986, 1991 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 19 & 180.)

Now that’s a revelation that reveals the depth and breadth and height and length of God’s love for us. For our heavenly Father inflicted His righteous and just anger on His own dear Son … righteous and just anger that we deserve … righteous and just anger that should have condemned us to everlasting damnation in the fiery abyss of hell, forever separated from God Himself. Instead of doing what we deserve, however, He did what we don’t deserve. He withheld His righteous and just punishment from us and laid it on our Substitute, His only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who willingly bore it for us. Today’s Introit offered an appropriate response: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness; you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. Therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions; your robes are all fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia.” (Ps 45:6-8a ESV)

With our heavenly Father’s righteous and just anger appeased, we now approach Him without fear, fright, or trepidation through Spirit-given faith in Jesus. We do so with today’s Gradual on our lips: “Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples! For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; bring an offering, and come into his courts!” (Ps 117:1-2a; 96:8 ESV)

So, as we now bid a fond farewell to Christmas 2015 and its less-than-two-weeks season, welcome the transition season of Epiphany between Christmas and Lent, and anticipate the soon-to-be-here Lent season, let’s ever realize and focus on the manifested truth that …

“Jesus Christ Is the Revelation of God’s Great Gospel Mystery.”

As we make that certainty our realization and manifestation, let’s continue to confess with our mouths and believe in our hearts that …

  I.   It’s All about the Gospel of God’s Grace-Gift, Jesus Christ. (7-10)

         and …

 II.   We Have Access to God through Faith in Jesus Christ. (11-12)

Finally, let us remember and never forget that Epiphany marks the revelation of Jesus Christ as the God-man Savior of all sinful people; that we, like the Magi, who travelled a long distance to worship Him, also worship Him in Spirit and in truth with our time, talents, and treasures as well as sanctified thoughts, desires, words, and deeds; and that we, also like the Magi, have the privilege and opportunity to tell others the good news about Jesus wherever we may be. To that end, in the bright shining light of Him who is the revelation of God’s great gospel mystery, let us continually pray what we prayed in today’s Collect: “By the leading of a star You made known Your only-begotten Son to the Gentiles. Lead us, who know You by faith, to enjoy in heaven the fullness of Your divine presence.”

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]