Intro
The first one home is a thief.  For Jesus had said to him, “I assure you:
Today, you will be with me in paradise.”  Jesus spoke those words—not to a
devout man, or to a fine, respectable citizen, or to one of His disciples—but
to a convicted criminal, found guilty of a capital crime.  Clearly, Jesus
wasn’t finicky about the company He keeps.

Main Body

Two crucified criminals at that place called “The Skull,” with Jesus between
them.  Jesus was the innocent, between the guilty.  Those convicted criminals
were there for committing some crime considered worthy, not just of execution,
but crucifixion.  They would have died in such a horrific way, whether Jesus
was there or not.

But there, on that day, condemned to die a cruel and torturous death, God gave
them the privilege of being at Jesus’ left and right when entered His kingdom.
That was a privilege the disciples bickered over.  But they had no idea what
they wanted when they asked that of Jesus.  Who could have known?

We don’t know the exact nature of their crime.  “Criminals” or “thieves” is
what Scripture calls them.  Perhaps, “insurgent” or “terrorist” strikes closer
to the reality of the words we use today.  For these were no common thieves.
No, they presented a threat to the Roman Empire.  The Romans used such public
crucifixions to deter crimes against the state.

So, there they were hoisted on their crosses.  One was to the left of Jesus,
the other to the right.  The one on the left reviles Jesus with cutting scorn,
joining the barbed tongues of the religious leaders, who had come to shake
their fists and wag their heads.  “You’re the Messiah, aren’t you?  So, save
yourself!”

Strange, isn’t it, that such mockery comes in the form of a prayer for
salvation?  “Save yourself—and us!”  But this isn’t a prayer of faith, but of
ridicule.  What Savior are You?  What Messiah are You going to be?  Display
some of that prophetic power and save Yourself—and us!  Or are you a fake, an
impostor, a phony Christ?  Spare Yourself from this death, and save us while
you’re saving yourself.

This thief on the left is a mouthpiece for the unbelieving world.  His “prayer”
of ridicule comes in the form of a demand, not a Kyrie, not in “Lord, have
mercy.”  If Jesus is worth His two cents as the Messiah, He would come down
from that condemning cross and save Himself.  Oh, and while He’s at it, save
His fellow criminals.

But that’s not the way of salvation.  That’s the devil’s way.  That’s Peter’s
way, in his sinful flesh; you know, the Peter, who took Jesus aside and scolded
Him for speaking of His death and resurrection.  This mocking prayer echoes
Satan’s temptations in the wilderness: “If You are the Son of God…” then do
this or do that (Luke 4:3, 9).

The thief on the right scolds the other.  “Don’t you even fear God since you’re
suffering the same punishment?”  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of
wisdom (Proverbs 9:10).  To fear the Lord properly is to put all others fears
in their place, below Him.

“We are to fear, love, and trust in God above all things,” Luther wrote.
That’s true in life, especially at life’s end, when we also find ourselves
under the same death sentence of the Law.  To fear the Lord in those
circumstances is to be wise in the way of faith.  It’s trusting that in both
life and death, Jesus is mighty to save.

This thief is a repentant sinner.  He confesses his sin and speaks the truth:
“Our punishment is fair because we’re getting what we deserve.”  He admits that
he has done wrong and that he deserves punishment for it.  He does not blame
others for what is happening to him.  He does not play the victim.  He owns up
to his evil acts.  He confesses his sin and guilt.  He repents.

We are now in the Lenten season.  And Lent is a season of repentance.  This
repentant thief shows what God calls us to do: to repent!  You may not be
guilty of mutiny or murder, but you are guilty of sin.  And Scripture says,
“Whoever keeps the whole Law but fails in one point is guilty of breaking it
all” (James 2:19).  Indeed, “the wages of sin are death” (Romans 6:23)

Like the thief on the cross, confess that you too should suffer the punishment
for your guilt.  After all, you would just be getting what you deserve.  But
like the thief, look to Jesus for rescue.  In his most desperate hour, he
looked to Jesus in hope.  And he found it, there in Jesus.

What did this thief know of Jesus?  We don’t know.  All we know is his final
prayer: “Jesus, remember me when You enter Your kingdom!” and what that meant
for a Jewish man to be saying that to Jesus, as they both faced death.

Of all the people to address Jesus, he’s the only one to use Jesus’ name
without some other title.  He calls Him “Jesus,” and nothing else.  It was
familiar and direct, with no flattery: “Jesus.”  But remember that Jesus means
“he saves.”

“Remember me when You enter Your kingdom.”  So few words, overflowing with
faith.  He sees this bleeding man, dying next to him and believes the sign over
His head.  Jesus IS a King with a kingdom.  That dying man looks to Jesus, and
he sees a king.

The Jewish scribes, priests, and Roman soldiers all mocked Jesus for being a
fake king, a pretender.  But he recognizes the real king next to him.  He knew
that Jesus had a kingdom, one that was not of this world.  What does that mean?
 He recognized that Jesus was God.  For who else would have a real kingdom, not
of this world?

“Jesus, remember me...”  All this criminal asks is for Jesus, God in the flesh,
to remember him.  He doesn’t ask Jesus to spare him the agonies of death, or
even to rescue him.  He only asks that Jesus remember him.  Remember that this
criminal is a Jewish man, crucified in Judea.  He grew up learning how God
remembered His people and how they remembered who He was every Passover.

Such few words that contain so much content.  He recognizes that Jesus is God
and, of course, that God doesn’t forget His own.  And so, when Jesus does what
that man asks of Him, that makes all the difference, even an eternal
difference.  That day, as in days of old, God remembered.

Long before, “The Israelites groaned in their slavery.  They cried out, and
their cry for help… rose up to God.  He heard their groaning and remembered His
covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob” (Exodus 2:23-24).  The Psalms remind
us that God “remembers his covenant forever” (Psalm 105:8).

Through Isaiah, we hear these words from God: “Can a mother forget the baby at
her breast or lack compassion for the child of her womb?  Although she may
forget, I will not forget you!” (Isaiah 49:15).  Speaking through Prophet
Jeremiah, God tells us: “I will forgive their wickedness and remember their sin
no more” (Jeremiah 31:34).

In that man next to Him, in his words, “Remember me,” Jesus sees a mustard-seed
faith that can move mountains.  And Jesus credits such faith as righteousness,
sealed with His own “Amen”: “I assure you: Today, you will be with me in
paradise.”

That afternoon, on the killing grounds called “The Skull,” it didn’t look much
like paradise.  But there, our Lord’s response to the thief’s faith was so much
greater than the faith he had.  Give Jesus an opening, and He opens life to
wonder beyond our knowing.  This crucified King speaks paradise to the
repentant thief while the unbelieving thief could only see what he was
losing—his version of paradise lost.

Some speculate, “Was that criminal baptized?”  Some would make him the great
example of just how unnecessary baptism is.  But that misses the point.  He
doesn’t need baptism, for baptism is Jesus’ way to connect someone to His death
and resurrection after He returns to heaven (Romans 6:3-5).  But Jesus Himself
is there, next to him, dying, nailed to the cross, directly speaking His Word
of salvation to him.

That criminal hears the people taunting Jesus, calling Him the Messiah and the
Son of God.  And, in faith, he believes it!  And Jesus responds to the
repentant thief, giving words of hope to the hopeless: “I assure you: Today,
you will be with me in paradise.”

Jesus, the King of kings, promises him a kingdom.  He says, “Amen,” “This is
most certainly true,” “I assure you.”  That means what Jesus will say next will
be as real as Jesus Himself.  Then He says, “today,” not in some distant
future—but “today”—you “will,” not might, you WILL be with me in paradise, in
heaven.

What Man is this, who speaks paradise to a dying thief, who confesses that he
is guilty?  What Justice is this, who speaks pardon to the unpardonable, who
acquits the guilty, who saves those whom society judges as worthy of the
cruelest form of death?  He’s the Savior of the world, THE Redeemer.  He brings
peace to the enemy and justifies the sinner.  “While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).

What did the thief do to deserve this promise?  What did he do to earn this
paradise?  Nothing!  We find no better example of God’s saving act by grace
alone.  That man deserved condemnation, but he received justification.  He
deserved rejection, but he gets restoration.  He deserved damnation, but in the
end, he inherits paradise.

Conclusion
“Today, you will be with me in paradise.”  Hear that word of promise for
yourself.  Hear it now.  Hear it when death is at your door.  For none of us
knows when some future “today” will be the day or hour when paradise will open
to us in our death.  Amen.