Lent will be devoted to hearing the first 6 chapters of Daniel.

Daniel 1 replaces the Old Testament and Epistle for Ash Wednesday.

Ash Wednesday

What You See is What You Get

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus
Christ! Amen. Daniel said to the steward,

Test your servants for ten days; let us be given vegetables to eat and
water to drink. Then let our appearance and the appearance of the youths
who eat the king's food be observed by you, and deal with your servants
according to what you see.

Dear Christian friends:

“*The world hates you*” (John 15:19). Jesus wants you to know it, believe
it, and order your life accordingly. “*The world hates you*,” says the
Lord, but that is not completely a bad thing. When Jesus said, “*the world
hates you*,” He also explained why: the world hates you because you belong
to Jesus; because you have His light and life and forgiveness and grace;
because you have been “*called out of the darkness into His marvelous light*”
(1 Peter 2:9). “*The world hates you*,” says Jesus, but do not feel too bad
about that. Bear in mind, says the Lord, that:

·        “*it has hated Me before it hated you*” (John 15:18);

·        “*I chose you out of the world*” (John 15:19); and

·        “*you are blessed when people hate you and when they exclude you
and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man!
Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in
heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets*” (Luke 6:22-23).

In a certain sense, the world’s hatred for you might actually make your
everyday life a little easier. Because the world feels such undying spite
and enmity and loathing toward you, there is absolutely nothing you can do
to impress the world. There is nothing you can do to gain the world’s
favor. There is nothing you can do to make the world your friend.

To be fair, there is something you can do in order to gain the praise of
the world. You can curse God, rejecting the forgiveness and life He has
given to you. You can abandon the faith and re-enter the darkness. But it
would come at the cost of your eternal life, and you should wonder whether
that high price is really worth it. This what the Lord says:

Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?
Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy
of God (James 4:4).

Since it is impossible to impress the world and still remain Christian,
God’s Christians ought not to even try. This is no sense—and there is
nothing gained—in artificially presenting yourself to anyone. Therefore,

·        “*when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what
your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your
Father who sees in secret will reward you*” (Matthew 6:3-4).

·        “*And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites, who to
love to pray, that they may be seen by others*” (Matthew 6:5).

·        “*And when you fast, do not look gloomy… but anoint your head and
wash your face*” (Matthew 6:16, 17).

Since the world will NOT be our friend so long as we remain Christian, it
would be far better for us to hold the Christian faith unapologetically and
unrepentantly before the eyes of the world—without even trying to impress
anyone. That is what Daniel did. With Daniel, what you see is what you get.

Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king’s food, or
with the wine that he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to
allow him not to defile himself. … “Test your servants for ten days; let us
be given vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance and
the appearance of the youths who eat the king's food be observed by you,
and deal with your servants according to what you see.”

Essentially, Daniel and his friends said to the Babylonian king, “We are
NOT interested in playing your pagan game, O king! We recognize your power
and your throne. We regard our position before you as the will of God. We
will treat you with respect and we will serve you to the limits of our
strength. But that is as far as we wish to go. We have no plan to abandon
or deny who we are. We are NOT going to dishonor the good name by which we
have been called (James 2:7), simply because it might impress you. We hold
the faith of Israel. What you see is what you get.

Daniel and his friends allow us to consider the possibility that, even
though the world remains committed to its hatred toward us, things will not
necessarily turn out badly for us because of it. Daniel and his friends
held the faith and trusted God through everything—and as we read through
the book of Daniel this Lent, we will see that Daniel and his friends
experienced a lot of things.

·        First, Daniel and his friends will repeatedly illustrate for us
these Words of Jesus, “*The world hates you*” (John 15:18). Daniel and his
friends repeatedly did well in Babylon and for Babylon. None of it was ever
enough to make their enemies happy or gain their friendship.

·        Through it all, Daniel and his friends might even how it is indeed
a blessed thing “*when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile
you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in
that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for
so their fathers did to the prophets*” (Luke 6:22-23). Perhaps we will see
that, in a certain sense, faithfulness is its own reward.

·        Finally, Daniel and his friends will point us toward the
faithfulness of our God in Christ Jesus our Lord. The Scriptures
promise—and Daniel shows it true—that our God remains faithful in
everything. He has given us His Son Jesus, and in Jesus we have forgiveness
and life. Daniel would like us to know that we can boldly live in this
world with a “what-you-see-is-what-you-get” Christianity, trusting our God
for all things—no matter where we end up going or what we might be called
upon to do.