Wednesday of Lent 2

Who is the God Who Will Deliver You?

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus
Christ! Amen. Nebuchadnezzar said to Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego,

Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you do not serve my
gods or worship the golden image that I have set up? Now if you are ready…
to fall down and worship the image that I have made, well and good. But if
you do not worship, you shall immediately be cast into a burning fiery
furnace. And who is the god who will deliver you out of my hands?

Dear Christian friends:

Idolatry is hardwired into our fallen, sinful nature. Because there is
something in us that remains hostile to God—even after God has given us the
precious gift of faith—idolatry remains for us as easy as falling off a
log.

We should not allow ourselves to be fooled by this silly golden image that
King Nebuchadnezzar had set up. This was more than a gold statue that the
people were required by law to worship. Nebuchadnezzar’s idolatry was

·        the culturally acceptable thing to do: “*All the peoples, nations,
and languages feel down and worshiped the golden image that King
Nebuchadnezzar had set up*.” Does your culture offer you any similar
opportunities to depart from the faith given to you by the One True God?

·        the hope of protection and security against hardship and
suffering: “*Whoever does not fall down and worship shall immediately be
cast into a burning fiery furnace*.” What compromises have you contemplated
in trade for the sensation of feeling secure?

·        facilitated by music in the ear: “*At the sound of the horn, pipe,
lyre, trigon, harp, and every kind of music, all the people… fell down and
worshipped*.” We need not spell out all the messages that are continually
pumped into our ears by the music we hear. We need only to wonder whether
we might feel inclined to take the messages to heart.

·        labeled God’s people as lawbreakers, rebels, and enemies of the
state. “*Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, O king, pay no attention to you;
they do not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set
up*.” How do our neighbors feel when we do not march to their drum?

Idolatry will always seem safe and expedient. The consequences for holding
the Christian faith will always seem severe. Shadrach, Meshach, and
Abednego demonstrate to us the certainty of the faith, even when under the
threat of death. Perhaps we can learn from these men courage for our own
faith, that we, like them, would “*not fear those who kill the body yet
cannot kill the soul, but rather fear Him who can destroy both sol and body
in hell*” (Matthew 10:28).

The Babylonian king wanted to know, “Who is the god who will deliver you
out of my hands?” Take a look in the furnace, Nebuchadnezzar! There you
will see the God Who Delivers.

Did we not cast three men into the fire? But I see four men unbound,
walking in the midst of the fire, and they are not hurt; and the appearance
of the fourth is like a son of the gods.

Take another look, O king! It is not “*a son of the gods*” who stands in
the furnace. It is the one eternal Son of the One True God. He is the
Fourth Man, who has taken His place among His people. The Fourth Man has
gathered into Himself His peoples’ form, their identity, their weaknesses,
and their suffering. The Fourth Man “*delivered His servants who trusted in
Him*.”

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego escaped the furnace unharmed, but things
did not need to end that way. What if they had died? We would not think God
had failed them. We would understand their deaths to indicate that God had
something far better for them; that God wished for His servants to be with
Him in eternity. Either way, these men allow us to think that we may face
our temptations toward idolatry with a hope equal to theirs.