What our Lord's Ascension Means

Intro
Before our Lord ascended into heaven, He gave His Apostles several enduring
mandates, commanding them what to do until He returned.  We’re most familiar
with the one in St. Matthew’s Gospel.

Main Body
Having gathered His Apostles on the mountaintop, Jesus told them: “Disciple the
Gentiles by baptizing them into the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
and teaching them to keep all I have commanded you.”  Jesus then spoke words of
comfort to them: “Remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age”
(Matthew 28:19-20).

We learn some important truths about this mandate from Christ, which He spoke
to the Eleven, His Apostles (Matthew 28:16).  They are to do the baptizing and
teaching.  Was Jesus talking to you or me?  No, for you and I aren’t the
Eleven, the Apostles.

There it would end, except, “Remember, I am with you always, to the end of the
age.”  Christ’s command to baptize and teach is to go on until He returns on
the Last Day.  So, baptizing and teaching is to continue through the successors
of the Apostles, the pastors in Christ’s Church.  For the Apostles were the
first pastors in the Church.

What’s interesting is Jesus doesn’t command them to “go,” which is how all our
translations translate His Apostolic Mandate.  In the original Greek of the New
Testament, the word “go” is not an imperative verb, a command, but a
participle, “going.”  The participle reveals that for such baptizing and
teaching to take place, the Apostles need to leave the mountain.  The Gentiles
aren’t on the mountain where Jesus gathered them, but below.  So, they go, even
though Jesus didn’t command it.

So, where are you in our Lord’s words?  You are on the receiving end, being
baptized and taught.  The comfort is that Jesus promises to be with His pastors
as they do what He commands them to do: “Remember, I am with you always, to the
end of the age.”

Jesus is comforting His pastors, for He is with them as they do the tasks He
gives them to do.  Jesus also comforts you, for when His pastors are baptizing
and teaching as He gives them to do, Jesus is also with you.  In Lutheran
language, we describe this as Jesus being with us in Word and Sacrament.

Jesus, however, doesn’t promise to be with His pastors when they are doing want
they want, instead of what He gives them to do.  Even worse, when they aren’t
doing what Jesus gives them to do, you don’t have our Lord’s promise to be with
you.  How so?  They aren’t delivering Jesus to you, so you aren’t receiving Him.

Do you grasp the connection Jesus makes?  Do you now understand why Scripture
calls the Apostles the foundation of the Church (Ephesians 2:20)?  For when
they are doing what Jesus gives them to do, Jesus comes to His people with life
and salvation.

So, those words in St. Matthew’s Gospel aren’t the great evangelism passage of
the Bible; at least, not like we often think.  Jesus didn’t speak His words to
baptize and teach to everyone in His Church, but only to those whom He called
to baptize and teach—His pastors, including the first pastors in the Church,
His Apostles.

I’m not against evangelism, but this isn’t one on those evangelistic passages,
which commands you to get your butt to “go” and evangelize.  Other passages in
Scripture cover that.  For you, this verse is not Law, ordering you to “go!”
but a word of comfort—Jesus is with you in Word and Sacrament.

Now, we arrive at today’s Gospel reading.  Another mandate from our Lord leaves
His lips to enter the ears of His Apostles.  “It stands written: The Messiah
will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance into the
forgiveness of sins is to be preached in his name to all Gentiles, beginning at
Jerusalem.”

Did you catch that Jesus doesn’t command His pastors, His Apostles, to preach?
He used the passive voice: “is to be preached.”  What’s going on?  Preaching is
something that continues from the Old Covenant into the New.  Jesus doesn’t
need to command it, for our Lord’s command in the Old Covenant still endures.

However, Jesus did command what was new in the New Covenant.  For instance, the
Old-Covenant sacrifices pointed to Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, so we no
longer need them.  Jesus now delivers forgiveness through His blood, not
through the blood of slaughtered animals.  And so our Lord used command
language in His Supper, for His Holy Meal supersedes all those old sacrifices.

Jesus fulfills Old-Covenant circumcision with baptism (Colossians 2:11-13), and
so He commands baptism to be part of being discipled into His Church.  Jesus
also commands His Apostles to forgive and retain sins—but He never commanded
preaching because it was something old continuing into the new.

What Jesus does do is to make sure His Apostles, His pastors, understand what
they are to preach: “repentance into the forgiveness of sins.”  Jesus wants
each sermon to be a call to repent, so you turn away from sin to our Lord
forgiving you of your sin.  A pastor isn’t authorized to ignore Jesus, in what
He gives him to preach.  If he doesn’t preach repentance into the forgiveness
of sins, he is unfaithful.  Why?  Jesus says so.

Do you want something else?  Repent!  You’re chasing after what Jesus doesn’t
want to give you.  Are you bored with the constant call away from your sin
toward Christ?  Repent!  Jesus wants you to turn your back on sin, ever anew,
delighting in His forgiveness.  Do you find your ears itching and burning for
something new and novel?  Repent!  Yearn for the life and salvation our Lord
promises in His preached Word.

Jesus doesn’t command preaching since God earlier gave such a command in His
Old Covenant.  You won’t, however, find the Old-Testament verse Jesus quoted.
Jesus compiled and condensed the truth of the Old-Testament Scriptures, of God
commanding His prophets to preach.  “It stands written: The Messiah will suffer
and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance into the forgiveness of
sins is to be preached in his name to all Gentiles, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Jesus tells His Apostles to heed to the words of Scripture.  Such an approach
continues, even to the Day of our Lord’s return.  “It stands written.”  So,
what did Jesus reveal about the written Word?  He told the Pharisees, “You
examine the Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them—they
testify of me” (John 5:39).

A pastor is to study the Scriptures, find Christ in them, and from them preach
repentance into the forgiveness of sins.  He is to see the Word, Jesus, within
the written Word.  Feelings are fleeting and fickle.  Emotions arrive and grow,
and they leave and wither away.  Not so with the Word of the Lord; it endures
forever (Isaiah 40:8).  Our thoughts and feelings are unsure, ever wavering
with the wind.  We need a something solid, something unchanging: The written
Word of God!

So, what is written?  Jesus will suffer and rise again.  The disciples
witnessed those events with their eyes.  They were looking at Jesus when He
spoke those words; yet, Jesus didn’t tell them to have faith in His
resurrection because they could see Him.  He said they should believe because
“it stands written.”

The Apostle Paul would later write in 1 Corinthians: “I resolved to know
nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified” (1
Corinthians 2:2).  Later, in the same epistle, he wrote: “What I received I
passed on to you as of first importance: Christ died for our sins according to
the Scriptures, he was buried, and he was raised on the third day according to
the Scriptures…” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).  Paul insisted his preaching of Christ
was “according to the Scriptures.”

So, as your pastor, I am to preach Jesus, the focal point of the Scriptures.  I
am to preach repentance into the forgiveness of sins—and this preaching is to
be according to the Scriptures.  What you may want, what I may want to say,
even what you think the Bible teaches, doesn’t matter.  What’s important is
proclaiming what Scripture does teach!

Our Lord tells His first pastors to baptize and teach, to preach, to forgive
sins (and retain them if needed), and to administer the Lord’s Supper.  Jesus
comforts you with His Word because He promises to be with you, through His
pastors as they do the tasks He gives them to do.  Why is that comforting?
Here’s why: Jesus is with you, through them, in Word and Sacrament.  Jesus’
promise means that you get what Jesus wants you to receive: forgiveness of
sins, life, and salvation.

After giving His tasks to His pastors, which they are to do until the Day of
His return, Jesus ascends to heaven.  He is, as Scripture says, at the right
hand of the Father (Acts 2:33).  Jesus has all authority in heaven and earth.
He is also God.  So, He can be with the Father AND in the Lord’s Supper—at the
same time!

Jesus’ ascension means this: He is no longer limited to one physical location,
which was the case before He ascended.  To receive Jesus, you don’t need to
track Him down, wondering where He is.  You can be where Jesus promises to be,
giving Himself for you.  He’s where the pastor preaches repentance into the
forgiveness of sins and where he delivers Jesus’ body and blood for your life
and salvation.

Conclusion
Our Lord’s ascension does not mean heaven now entraps Jesus, unable to leave.
No, an ascended Lord tells us He is now where “the Gospel is preached in its
purity, and the Sacraments are correctly administered” (AC VII 1).  Jesus isn’t
some abstract God in heaven, but as real as the Supper in which He chooses to
come to you.

Jesus said to His first pastors, His Apostles, “If you forgive the sins of any,
they are forgiven” (John 20:23).  Your sins ARE forgiven.  Believe it because
it is true.  That is what our Lord’s ascension means.  Amen.