“A Strange Command with Glorious Future Significance”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear fellow witnesses of our Lord’s transfiguration, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. [Amen.]

And faithful hearts are raised on high

By this great vision’s mystery,

For which in joyful strains we raise

The voice of prayer, the hymn of praise.”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 413:4)

Gospel Reading........................................................................................ St. Matthew 17:9

And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.”

Prologue: Let’s start off this [afternoon / morning] with a reminder that the word “epiphany” simply means reveal, make known, manifest. God revealed, made known, and manifested through the leading of the Magi by a mysterious star to the toddler Jesus that He was the Messiah sent into the world to rescue, redeem, and reconcile with Himself not only the Jews but all people of all races and nationalities throughout the world. During this Epiphany season the appointed Gospel Readings for the one-year historic lectionary have revealed, made known, and manifested the fact that Jesus is truly God and filled with compassion for sin-laden and sin-broken mankind.

As we today celebrate the Transfiguration of Our Lord, we are privileged by the reading and hearing of God’s Holy Word to witness along with Peter, James, and John the revealing, making known, and manifesting of our Savior’s glorious divine nature. And that’s something that all believers in Him will someday see with their physical eyes in heaven itself. In consideration of such, we stand on a pivotal pedestal from which we look back at His immaculate divine conception by the power of the Holy Spirit and subsequent virgin-birth, and forward to His majestic resurrection from the dead and ascension-return to His heavenly-home.

Within the mysterious context of this event, however, Jesus issued what sounds to be …

“A Strange Command with Glorious Future Significance”

that confronts us, confuses us, and even confounds us. Is our Lord’s strange command with allusion to a glorious future significance an oxymoron? … or a paradox? … or irony? Actually it’s no single one of them but all three of them. It’s a self-contained contradiction, an inconsistency, and strangeness all at the same time.

This command by Jesus was not an isolated one. When Peter in the presence of Jesus’ disciples confessed Him to be the Christ, Jesus “strictly charged them to tell no one about him.” (St Mark 8:30 ESV) After Jesus had raised a ruler’s daughter back to life from death, “her parents were amazed, but he charged them to tell no one what had happened.” (St Luke 8:56 ESV)

Donald Guthrie explained in his classic volume Jesus the Messiah: “Although baffled by the vision, it would have been natural for [Peter, James, and John] to spread reports about the sheer wonder of [His transfiguration].” But Jesus in His divine wisdom knew what was better. After all, “How much clearer the whole matter would become when Jesus’ glory would again be seen after He had risen from the dead.” (Donald Guthrie in Jesus the Messiah: An Illustrated Life of Christ. Copyright © 1972 by The Zondervan Corporation, Grand Rapids, MI. Pages176F.)

Co-authors Jerome Albrecht and Michael Albrecht explained Jesus’ seemingly strange command this way: “There was enough selfish desire for preeminence among the disciples that they might have regarded this experience as an indication that Jesus had special places in his kingdom for this inner circle of three disciples. And it was very clear that the common people had wrong ideas about the nature of Jesus’ kingdom and that they would only misinterpret this event to support their false ideas about that kingdom.” (G. Jerome Albrecht & Michael J. Albrecht in People’s Bible Commentary: Matthew. Copyright © 1996 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 249.)

In other words, Jesus told Peter, James, and John to be patient, cool their jets!, and wait for a later more opportune time to report what they saw. That time would be after His resurrection from the dead when in the context of that most-majestic miracle this transfiguration event would make better sense, be more believable, and the hearers of their report would be more able and willing to accept the truthfulness coupled with an understanding of its significance. So it was that some time after Christ’s resurrection the apostle Peter wrote what we heard in today’s Epistle Reading: “For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For when he received honor and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, ‘This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,’ we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain.” (2 Peter 1:16-18 ESV)

After all, it was on that holy mountain by means of that glorious transfiguration event that …

I. Jesus Epiphanied Himself to His New Testament Disciples by His Old Testament Prophets. (1-3)

1After six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 3And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him.

The first statement of today’s Collect summarized what Jesus did in this awesome event: “O God, in the glorious transfiguration of Your beloved Son You confirmed the mysteries of the faith by the testimony of Moses and Elijah.” We can’t let the important meaning of those two Old Testament men escape us, namely, that Jesus was the fulfillment of all Old Testament Law and Gospel-prophecy.

The apostle John some years later wrote in his gospel narrative: “The law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” (St John 1:17 ESV) The angelic messenger from God revealed to the aging priest Zechariah the prominent position the Old Testament prophet Elijah played when he described the meaningful mission of his future son whom his wife Elizabeth would birth: “And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.” (St Luke 1:16-17 ESV)

That is, God gave His Law through Moses, about whom today’s Old Testament Reading revealed that “When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God. Whenever Moses went in before the Lord to speak with him, he would remove the veil, until he came out. And when he came out and told the people of Israel what he was commanded, the people of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses’ face was shining.” (Exodus 34:29, 34-35a ESV) That Law convicted and condemned the sinfully rebellious Israelites then and still convicts and condemns us sinfully rebellious people today. It reminds us ever so clearly and emphatically that we are poor miserable transgressors-of-God’s-Law who deserve only His severest temporal anger and most damning eternal punishment. But John the Baptizer proclaimed the good news that Jesus is “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (St John 1:29-30 ESV) even as Elijah had done hundreds of years earlier.

Nevertheless, as great and magnificent as the appearance of Moses and Elijah alongside Jesus was, it paled in comparison with the fact that …

 II.   God Epiphanied Jesus to be His Beloved Son. (4-8)

4And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 5He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 7But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.” 8And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.

The second statement in today’s Collect summarized the significance of that divine declaration: “In the voice that came from the bright cloud You wonderfully foreshowed our adoption by grace.” In fact, the apostle Peter elaborated further on that significance in today’s Epistle Reading: “For … he received honor and glory from God the Father, [when] the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, ‘This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.’” (2 Peter 1:17 ESV)

There are two especially relevant preludes to this statement by the Father about Jesus. First, remember back a short four weeks ago when we commemorated the Baptism of Jesus. The Gospel Reading for that festival celebration contained the Father’s declaration: “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” (St Matt 3:16 ESV) That statement validated about Jesus that 1. He was 100% divine in addition to being 100% human and 2. the Father fully approved of Him as the substitutionary sacrifice that would be offered on Calvary’s cross for the transgressions of all sinners of all time.

Second, in the previous chapter 16 of his gospel narrative St. Matthew recorded the following brief dialogue between Jesus and His disciples: “Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter replied, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’” (St Matt 16:13-16 ESV) In addition to the Father, the apostle Peter also testified that Jesus was 100% God in addition to being 100% man.

Those two statements—one by “God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth” and the other by a Spirit-inspired disciple of Jesus who was also an apostle and author of two New Testament epistles—along with what’s contained in today’s Gospel Reading provided indisputable evidence that Immanuel was (and still is, for that matter!) “the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made.” (Nicene Creed) That’s critically important for the simple and yet deeply serious reason that “Christ had to be true God in order that A. His fulfilling of the Law, His life, suffering, and death, might be a sufficient ransom for all people; [and] B. He might be able to overcome death and the devil for us.” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986, 1991 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 126f.)

Okay. Drawing on a very familiar question that’s contained in Holy Scripture (Exodus chapter 13 verse 14 and Acts chapter 2 verse 12) and frequently used by the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther in his Small Catechism, namely: “What does this mean?” that Jesus issued …

“A Strange Command with Glorious Future Significance”?

Well, it means that Jesus Himself realized and wanted His disciples to also realize that the proof of His Messiah-identity lay not as much in His self-epiphanying miracles and transfiguration as it would in His future exalting resurrection following His humiliating suffering and death. After all, He lived his holy life, innocently endured inhumane suffering, and submitted to a cruel crucifixion death all to atone for our sins in order to (in the words of today’s Collect again) “Mercifully make us co-heirs with the King in His glory and bring us to the fullness of our inheritance in heaven.”

         So it was that …

I. Jesus Epiphanied Himself to His New Testament Disciples by His Old Testament Prophets. (1-3) And, He continues to make known, manifest, and reveal Himself to us today in a much less flashy fashion. He does so in the simple means of the reading and hearing of God’s Holy Word, that’s all about Himself; the Blessed Sacrament of Holy Baptism, in which we are connected to Himself and His death and resurrection became our death and resurrection; the blessed declaration of Holy Absolution, by which we are set free by Himself to “be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness”; and the Blessed Sacrament of Holy Communion, in which we receive Himself truly present even though hidden in the consecrated bread and wine for the certain assurance of forgiveness, salvation, and eternal life.

                   At the same time, how so very wonderful that also …

II. God Epiphanied Jesus to be His Beloved Son. (4-8) In fact, today’s Introit testified to that with the words: “Your lightnings lighted up the world; the earth trembled and shook. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor.” (Ps 77:18b; 84:11a ESV) and the Gradual did the same with the words: “You are the most handsome of the sons of men; grace is poured upon your lips; therefore God has blessed you forever.” (Ps 45:2 ESV) May we also as God’s beloved sons testify that Jesus is God’s beloved Son with all our thoughts, desires, words, and deeds.

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]