I'd expect something like:
throw new TransientMailetException
(TransientMailetException.DBCONNECTFAILED,"A message",ex);
It would then be the job of the catcher for TransientMailetException  to
respool or whatever

Or in the case of a MessagingException
throw new PermanentMailetException
(PermanentMailetException.BADMESSAGE,"Another
message",messagingException);