Thank you, Serge. PreparedStatement.setString() does the escaping trick, all right. I've confirmed this with testing. The API documentation didn't give me a clue.

Rich

Serge Knystautas wrote:
Richard O. Hammer wrote:

I stumbled into this question when, using my James-offshoot server, I sent a test message with a possessive (single quote) in the subject:
Subject: Friday's test
and it failed with
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "s"

You shouldn't do escaping yourself in Java. Do PreparedStatement.setString(paramNum, stringValue)