> 1) Is it an option to use the Apache Commons Thread Pool?
>    It is stable, widely used and highly configurable.

Someone would have to write a block for it.

> I would like to be able to configure my thread pool so it
> blocks (with a time-out) until a new thread is available,
> so more mail will be accepted when the load is high.

Not everyone wants the same thing, which is why you can replace the thread manager.
However, take a look at the ResourceLimitingThread classes in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/avalon-components/cornerstone/threads/impl/src/java/org/apache/avalon/cornerstone/blocks/threads/.
  The configuration options should be flexible enough to support both.

If someone wants to write a ThreadManager that uses Jakarta Commons instead of the
Excalibur classes, go for it.  You can use the ResourceLimitingThread code and our
org.apache.james.util.thread package as examples.  Our package is a self-contained
implementation of everything necessary, importing only interfaces from Avalon.

        --- Noel