On Tuesday 10 May 2005 18:59, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 16:37 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I think that this check should be done on the MAIL FROM or
> > > the RCPT TO and so not directly related to the STARTTLS and
> > > AUTH.
> > >
> > > I would add to my list:
> > >  B2. "mail from" allowed only after AUTH/STARTTLS
> > >  C2. "rcpt to" you can write to this recipient only
> > >      when using AUTH/STARTTLS.
> >
> > The mechanisms for requiring STARTTLS are described in the
> > STARTTLS RFC, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2487.html  see Section 5.
>
> Thank you Mike,
>
> This seems to confirm that we could check wether STARTTLS has been sent
> when we receive a MAIL FROM or RCPT TO and reply with "530 Must issue a
> STARTTLS command first" when the recipient is not local (for example).
>
> Does anyone think that it would be useful to select wether to allow the
> "STARTTLS" or not depending on some business rule and not only via a smtp
> server configuration parameter? This would be a further use-case to add to
> the list, but I think this is not so usefull: I can't find why we should
> disable STARTTLS to specific IPs....

Consider that some servers relay though James from an internal trusted
network, they do not need to issue STARTTLS, others however are relaying
through a public network an are thus required to issue STARTTLS (perhaps even
with client-certificate authentication).
So we do not disable STARTTLS for the internal servers, but on the other hand
do not require it either.

--Søren

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager             Phone:  +45 72 30 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S     Fax:    +45 72 30 64 02
Ved Lunden 12           Direct: +45 72 30 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj          Email:  soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com