Stefano Bagnara wrote:
Can you provide a list of most commonly used IMAP commands (by common
clients such as Outlook) and their parameters?

I can if you need.  I'll do try to do Outlook tonight
or tomorrow.  Maybe someone can do Thunderbird? And
maybe a UW client like Pine?  Through in what the
Apple users use ( iMail ? ) and I think we would have
got good coverage.

Some interesting links to begin with...

Mozilla IMAP interop.
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/tests/sea-mn-imap-interop.html

IMAP Cliet Guidelines ( brief )
http://www.dovecot.org/imap-client-coding-howto.html

IMHO we should take into consideration most common commands in order to
achieve a performant implementation: we cannot simply index EVERY message
property or split the message in hundreds of parts, but we could treat most
accessed fields with caching and separate storage.

Ok.  But maybe we will run into performance versus
compliance issues in the future?  I think we will
be forced to index on the usual message headers,
system flags ( there a 6 default ), and a few
important dates at least.

"NO" is the answer for NO results or is defined by the RFC that should be
used when a search is too complex?

Yes, "NO" is an error.

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/rfc3501/#page-49 ...
   Result:     OK - search completed
               NO - search error: can't search that [CHARSET] or
                    criteria
               BAD - command unknown or arguments invalid

The client would probably show the user an error message
in response.

PS.  I planning on writing an implementation of...
"private class HierarchicalMailbox implements ImapMailbox"
that writes to Derby.

Is that an acceptable first step?

Also, why does HierarchicalMailbox implement ImapMailbox?
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Regards,
Kervin