> >>I have now tried to downgrade to 2.2.0, and I cannot reproduce the
> >>effect there (only tried filerepositories on this version).
> >
> >This is strange because I experienced exactly the same
> identical issue.
> >
> I never such issue with file repositories in my company production
> system: neither in 2.2.0 nor in 2.3.0 (up to end of June this
> year) nor
> in any CVS/SVN intermediate versions.

This only happens the first time and with a single message.

With an empty repository run james.
Send a single message via SMTP.
It hangs in the spool.
When you send more messages the hanging mail is processed, too.

I can reproduce this in windows/jdk1.4.2_07.
My last patch to AvalonMailRepository solve the problem in my box but I
don't know what other bugs can introduce.

I'm trying a different patch for JDBC spool repository delays. I'm running
stress-test now.

Stefano