On Wed, January 4, 2006 10:27, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> For key management, I could see something like:
>
> A more genereric approach to secure email would be the following:
>
> - Every time james receive a signed message it store the public key in a
> keystore (if not already existing).

and replacing if the certificate in the store has expired or otherwise
become invalid (e.g. placed on a CRL list)

> - Every time james send a message should check in the keystore to find
> out wether it contains the public key and if found encrypt the message.

If the stored certificate is still valid an not on a CRL? Otherwise the
mail should bounce with a message of that fact.
If the message is sent to multiple receivers, this is further complicated
as a decission has to be made on the bouncing/delivery rules:

a) always send mail even if it cannot be encrypted to every recipient
b) do not send to anyone if it cannot be encrypted to everyone
c) send to those we can encrypt to bounce for rest.

Different organisations will have opinions on this, trust me!

> This would add automatic "transparent" secure messaging to users signing
> their messages.
>
> One further step would be to automatically generate new certificates for
> authenticated users and automatically sign every outgoing message and
> decrypt any incoming message: this way the users would continue to use
> "plain" email but with added security.

This is exactly the way we used James in my previous position at
TietoEnator , they have ~250 customers on this solution (banks,
ministries, ...) (only the authenticated users certificates where issued
by a CA and placed on the James server).

And while the concept is easy a lot of "business logic" quickly comes into
play. End users wish to only sometimes encrypt/sign outgoing based on
subtle rules (markings in Subject, headers, sender,...)

--Søren