Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Stefano,

Sorry but I have not found the right thread looking in the mailing list

Heck, I am impressed that you *tried*!  :-)  Some of this stuff is buried
ages ago.  Along with discussions about Maven vs Ant and Forrest vs Maven vs
Anakia.

In fact I also did a search for Noel Bergman Maven to find your issues with maven, but I haven't found anything... I found October 2003 messages where you and Serge and Stephen seemed to agree that "maven build" = "good"...

I really would like to understand your reasons... and furthermore I would like to know if you already know you will veto any maven2 proposal or if you are interested to see what arise from the Alan's sandbox...

Yes, the docs were not merged intentionally.  I seem to recall a comment or
two back in that merged thread about the docs, but it would have been in the
context of earlier discussions.

was supposed to become a separate "project."

If you can find any information on what you decided and how it should work this would help me a lot: I'm subscribed to site-dev from a while, I see commits and Wiki updates, nothing more. I also read the whole archive for that list, but I've not found information on what you decided for the site.

When you have multiple releases, you run into a problem maintaining the
separate portions of the site for each release, such as release-specific
javadoc and other docs; as well as the overall site, itself.

So, should we split site specific from version specific xdocs so we can move site specific docs to the site project and keep the release specific docs in the current folder?

I would prefer to split it in a separate module if we move to maven2
multiproject setup

I am looking into how to do multi-project in Ant.  It appears that the
<subant> task (http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/subant.html) can solve
the problem for us.

Will you have the time to work on the "ant/subant" thing?

if you already voted about some sort of roadmap for the xdocs can
you point me to the correct thread/wiki/other information so I
can try to fix this issue?

It must have been years ago.  Danny or Serge proposed it.  I think it was
Danny at one point when he had more time.  But Serge and I definitely saw
the problem when we were trying to maintain copies in the v2 branch and
trunk.  It was a mess.  Not fun.  So when I did the merge, it was
intentional that the xdocs were not brought over.  But now we need to
complete the job, and get the site project going.

I lost 30 more minutes reading James archives and running the most improbable searches to find something about this event, bot I've had no success.

And I think it is time to upgrade our Ant to 1.6.5; or perhaps remove Ant
from our repository, and ask developers to install it first.

        --- Noel

I agree on ant removal: maven, ant, jre, java, javac should not be in our repository. The less we keep in our repository the less outdated things we have.

Stefano