Stefano Bagnara wrote:
IMO we simply should remove everything but build.xml

mmhhh... really? the build process is working quite good at the moment, isn't it? I'm just curious what you are trying to achieve. Are you talking about the binary distribution only?

I thought we could add to build.xml an "initialize" target to be manually called at start to download everything is needed, but I think we should better remove all of this stuff: we expect people to already have the Jdk installed, we can expect they also have ant. The same would be for maven.

I am with you regarding jdk, ant, maven.
But JUnit is a not a build tool like ant + maven, it is a bunch of java classes our code directly dependents on (is linked to) through import-statements. this is true for all other libraries in lib and tools/lib. (do you want them be removed, too?) JDK classes are also linked by import statements, but the junit.jar is a little bit more lightweight ;-)

We should not impose additional hurdles for users by requiring them to download stuff before the tests can be run. Remember, the same applied to activation.jar and mail.jar. They had to be downloaded, extracted and placed by hand. They are now present in the repository and this is a great relief, I think.

  Bernd

Stefano

Bernd Fondermann (JIRA) wrote:

[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-506?page=comments#action_12412757 ]
Bernd Fondermann commented on JAMES-506:

minor note: tools/lib/junit.jar is not yet in svn. the idea was to download it from a public repository but I did not work out how to achieve this using ant.

Remove ant from the repository

         Key: JAMES-506
     Project: James
        Type: Improvement

  Components: Build System
    Reporter: Stefano Bagnara
    Assignee: Stefano Bagnara
     Fix For: 2.4.0

We can remove the tools/bin, tools/etc and the tools/lib/ant.jar, tools/lib/junit.jar, tools/lib/optional.jar from our repository. Ant is a build tool, we can expect developers already have it installed, or being able to install it separately. Eventually we could add ant, build.bad, build.sh, and the needed libraries only to the source distribution.