Norman Maurer wrote:
Hi guys,

any has ever test the memory usage of james when used in big enviroment
and cannot deliver mail. We otice that if we use james and it try to
deliver emails is seems that it never release the memory after timeout.
So the load and memory usage get bigger with every message which can not
get delievert. If we use a stadardgateway for outgoing email and james
will so never gt a timout the memoryusage and load keeps constant.

Its not uncommon for Java VMs to _visibly_ free memory only when really needed. This is totally under the control of the JVM. In real life, when you see constantly growing heap sizes it may or may not be due to unreleased memory or leaks. You can only definitivly say you ran short of memory when you are seeing an OutOfMemory exception. Memory organisation and garbage collection in Java is a science of its own.

Bernd, have you ever tried this in postage ?Anyone else have expirence?

Sure, I am tracking memory usage under Postage. If you have any questions concerning that, I'll be happy to answer them.

Depending on the configuration (repository types) the 'memory fingerprint' of James varies, but not dramatically. Sooner or later, with reasonable load, you run out of memory. Optimisation in this area should be a topic for a future release.

We use the current 2.3-branch from svn.

With high enough load, you run into problems in 2.2 and 2.3.

  Bernd