Am Montag, den 17.07.2006, 16:35 +0200 schrieb Norman Maurer:

> > > Add Support for POP-before-SMTP (roaming users)
> >
> > > We should add support for pop-before-smtp. This is a common and often
> > > used technic to authenticate users before allow them to send an email to
> > > an external address.
> >
> > The question is why is it still often used.
> > There are two reasons for using pop-before-smtp:
> >
> > 1. the client does not support SMTP-AUTH
> > 2. the server does not support SMTP-AUTH
> >
> > pop-before-smtp has always been a workaround and it has drawbacks for
> > the user. (Some clients try to first send and the receive when going
> > online)
> > James supports SMTP-AUTH. Are there really clients, that still don't
> > support it?
> >
> > I guess the reason why pop-before-smtp still is used so often is because
> > administrators don't want to change their approved setup. And e.g.
> > widely used MTA qmail still doesn't support SMTP-AUTH without a patch!
> >
> > IMHO there is no demand for it, but I may be wrong .

> I think you are right .. But sometimes when a admin want to switch to
> the other mailserver he want to use the old behavior.. Its not so easy
> for a admin to change to a mailserver that now only support smtp-auth
> with about 5000 Users ;-)

Okay, that is a good argument indeed, :-) I really didn't think about
the migration issue.
When you have 5000 users it will be cheaper for sure to implement
pop-before-smtp first and have a smooth migration to SMTP-AUTH.

I really can image the alternative when switching at day x. Once upon a
time: It was well prepared but only (optimistic) 2500 users did manage
to switch their accounts on their own.
The rest 2500 are just killing your IT-hotline, all your admins are
running from pc to pc, many employees loose the (optimistic) half day,
because they couldn't access their emails... The controlling will
calculate a horrible sum of lost money.

;-)

Joachim