Vincenzo,

To reiterate from previous postings, here are some use cases that I would
really like to see:

  1) Accept e-mail that is properly signed.

     We would want to be able to distinguish between properly signed, which
     we could accept for local delivery, and properly signed by someone
     authorized as a local user, which would allow roaming users to relay
     mail.  The latter use is a fairly easy one, since we would maintain our
     own keystore, but the former use would require us to be able to deal
     with something like the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP).

     Since we have various fast-fail checks, it would be necessary to allow
     deferring some other fast-fail checks until after we can try to verify
     the signature in the onMessage handler.  The term "fast-fail" really
     means "in-protocol" as opposed to rejecting with a subsequent DSN.

  2) Accept mail for a mailing list if it is signed by a known/permitted sender,
     which might be different from the subscriber list.

  3) Accept encrypted e-mail for a list from senders, decrypt it, and encrypt it
     for each recipient.  This would imply that we have a private key associated
     with the list, and known public keys for subscribers.

My priority order would probably be #3, #2, then #1.

        --- Noel